Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flexibility on additional GB charging?

Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 19

I'm on BB PAYG. I know there has to be thresholds, but sometimes they're a bit raw in their application. On the last billing period I exceeded the 1Gb limit by 1% on the last day of the period. Normally I don't exceed 85% of my allowance. I does seem a bit tight that I can regularly under utilise by 15%, but as soon as I go over by a mear 1%, I get charged for an extra Gb.

What's the chance of there being a little flexibility in this area - e.g. you only get charged for the next Gb after you've used 10% of it?? Yes I know you'll think I'm asking a lot, but if you don't ask, you don't get!

Regards,
Kevin
4 REPLIES
N/A

It will come as no surprise that I agree completely with Kevin. We are after all your best customers aren't we Smiley ?
Community Veteran

All bandwidth costs PlusNet and 10% (100MBytes) on a lot of users adds up to a lot of bandwidth to pay for - and you would end up paying for it eventually, whether it was through increased charges or product costs.

Something similar has been raised before but it involved carrying over any unused bandwidth to the next month.

Basically this was rejected because the work involved in redesigning the back-end systems, the billing systems, VMU pages and a number of other related systems and pages to cope with the carry forward (and I suspect your idea) would not be commercially viable and probably would result in a reduction in revenue which, on a entry level product that PAYG is, would probably not get the funding to develop.

Nice idea though.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 19

Peter,

Thanks for the considered response and the thought that it was a nice idea.

Clearly the tollerance threshold is a matter for debate - lots of users regularly going over by just less than 10% might have a small negative impact on PN's bandwidth revenues, so one might consider say 5%. I could suggest that if bandwith revenue is such an issue to PN, that we BB PAYG customers have to pay for the whole of next Gb as soon as we've gone as little 10Mb into the next one (regardless of how close we are to the end of the billing period) then may be it is time that PN charged all of its customers based Gb consumption. That way the cost per Gb would come down for all users.

I supose that we all have the option of paying £6 more per month and then be free to burn £100 worth of Gb per month. It all just does not make sense to me - use the resource carefully and pay for everthing you use or make crazy use of the resource for a lot less than it costs PN to provision it! No one in their right mind would accept this approach for gas or electricity - mind you it does seem to be OK for water! In case you are wondering, I'm on a water meter and it is much cheaper than fixed charging.

Regards,
Kevin
Nick_Russell
Grafter

Not a bad idea but wouldn't it be easier just to carry over unused allowances each month in a similar way mobile phone free minutes are carried over. This would seem to be a much fairer system but I know has been raised before and rejected.