cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fix these connection problems now

N/A

Impossible to connect for the past hour or more via ADSL so coming in the only way I can - via 36000bps PAYG dialup to find out what's going on. My adsl modem/router makes half-hearted attempts to sync but never manages to make a useable connection. I've seen problems like this on and off for the past week - and so have many others. Tell us what is going on PlusNet - and fix it. I don't care whether it's your problem or BT's... get it fixed.

Simon
35 REPLIES
Community Veteran

If it's BT's problem which it probably is as it is a sync problem BT will fix it as and when they want nothing plusnet can do about it.
LiamM
Grafter

If it's a sync problem that that rules out any problems PN side.

It's either a problem with BT, or anything internal.

So you need to try with other modems / routers to rule out a broken router (I have seen a few product these results).

Plugging into the master socket with no other devices plugged in, without a microfilter if you can, and see if it works then (could be dodgy filters).

Only then, and if you are sure it's a BT issue, then you need to get PN to report it. If it's found not to be their fault - and something internal within your premises then they'll charge you £50 for the priveledge of coming out.

You do need to report this via an official link:Contact Us ticket though. Posting on here won't be gd enough.

Hope this helps,

Cheers.
N/A

With what you have been saying about PN, pr100, you could easilly become paranoid about why you have the problem. Wink

Hope it get fixed soon and whilst it may have to be reported via a ticket I am sure a post on here helps.
N/A

post subject

as suggested try everything before you get on to +n or BT They caught me with a call out of £50 +VAT for call out plus another £60 when they told me it was something on my system.A total of £110 for no fault is a typical BT charge they seem to sort of forget to tell you about the higher charge somehow .They told me £50 and that was all .i wont say it is ,it could be ,,if you have lights plugged in to your PC power supply that can give problems with connection .The normal lighting in the case if you have that seems to be fine .I got one that plugs in say on the power line to your hard drive or CD/DVD etc ,not finding that problem cost me a fortune for 2 minutes visit Cry
N/A

Haggis2, do you mean that you had something like a desk lamp plugged into the same power socket as your PC or was it a USB light connected to your PC? Like most people I guess, I have a lot of things plugged into one power socket but this is the first time I have read that a lamp could affect the ADSL connection.

Simon
N/A

As it happens, my connection was ok again this morning after being unable to even load a web page between 11pm Monday and 5am today.

This is the second time within a week that I have had this problem - and the second time that it has been miraculously cured by the simple act of raising a ticket (No 1689351Cool and waiting for BT to investigate. CS this morning told me that no action had been taken overnight, not even a woosh test. However, he did offer a brand new "probable cause" which I had never heard before. He called it "bottlenecking" whereby a router running off a subsidiary extension (ie not the master socket) could function normally for weeks/months and then suddenly give up as a result of accumulating data debris on the extension cable.

Not sure if I can buy into this since as part of the troubleshooting procedure I reconnect the router directly to the master socket without even a splitter and remove everything else from the line and this procedure has consistently failed to get my stalled connection up and running again.

His advice was to buy a special ADSL extension cable to replace the standard BT extension cable to the subsidiary socket and maybe I will do this anyway even though I can't see how the extension cable can be the culprit.

STOP PRESS: I got a phone call 30secs ago from a someone in the PN faults department to tell me that he had been investigating my problem and discovered that my 2Mb ADSL line which was provisioned two years ago was no longer functioning at <46dB. His tests showed 50dB which would not sustain a 2Mb connection (although it does for days/weeks on end) so he has asked BT to investigate and fix, hopefully within 72 hours. Hurrah! A real problem at last to put an end to my endless troubleshooting...

Simon
N/A

I wish I could have the same luck. Ive been without a reliable connection now for 2 weeks, and PN and BT simply fail to acknowledge a problem. The issue I have is that I don't lose sync, just get LCP No Response error from the router. Have even bought a new router to satisfy PN's processes, with no luck. I - KNOW - the line is faulty, but can I get PN or BT to believe me? No.

Master Socket, new router, timeout set to 0 in router, BT Test Domain account (fails) all tried, and I still can't get someone to admit a problem.
Community Veteran

I'd PM one of the comms team and with any luck we will get a public whipping.
vic_newey
Grafter

I've had similar to all above & had 2 visits from BT, they have just fitted a radio signal suppressor in my socket as Droitwich transmitter is in the area.
Now waiting wih baited breath to see if it improves & looking much better so far
N/A

As it happens, my connection was ok again this morning after being unable to even load a web page between 11pm Monday and 5am today.

This is the second time within a week that I have had this problem

Down and out again this afternoon -- coming in at 38000bps dialup again. That's three failures in five days, interspersed with solid up-time to lull me into a false sense of security.

Very much hoping that BT will get to the bottom of it.... We were fine for several months prior to June 23. I wonder if my exchange is being upgraded and the increased throughput on other lines is squeezing my borderline 2Mb connection...

Simon
N/A

It's very possible a desk lamp can cause this, especialy if it is a low votage one that uses a transformer.

Haggis2. By any chance did the BT guy do any work to fix it for you, in adition to saying it was your equipment causing it?

If so, are you sure the aditional charge was not for that work?

The BT WHolesale pricelist can be found [HERE]

The sections regarding abortive visit charges can be found in Part 3, point 1.3 charged at £50 ex vat.

Section 1.4 links to the information on charges associated with the actual work needed to repeair customers internal curcuits.
N/A

connections

keep getting diconnected since thursday answered 16 questions told it was my end was the trouble bt done line check no fault found done the most stupid thing of all rebooted computer only here on dial up i hope things do get sorted out soon as you can imagine going to have to download loads of stuff.
squatts
N/A

post subject

Hi
for acarr ond others The lights I refer to are proper PC internal/external light strings with a small transformer which attaches in the PC wirring harness from the PSU ,did the engineer do any work in a word No .he tested the line from the exchange heard the very loud noise on the line then came to my house tested the line heard the noise again then unplugged the ADSL magic faint noise told me it was my equipment and left said it would be £50-£60 only as internal fault on both adsl and phone was my PC .Then I get my online bill this had shot to £110 ,Got that reduced to £55 as made a complaint that had only been told this amount this was call out charge only as no work had been noted by engineer I noticed that several others were quoting the £50 which could be taken as the maximum cost ,,it isnt as you can see..

Regards
N/A

Just reporting in: my broadband connection has now been down and out for over 8 hours. Occasional half-hearted attempts to sync but mostly not even a flicker. I have an open ticket - No 16893518 - which I last posted to at 11am Tuesday to say that my connection had come back to life this morning. I now want to add that it has been unusable since 4pm but since a) this is the only computer I can use for dialup and b) the Ticket Reply code malfunctions when I attempt to respond in IE 5.1.7, I would be jolly gratetful if someone from PlusNet could add news of my 8 hour downtime to my ticket since it may help to troubleshoot. Thanks.

I see that mail has gone belly up too and that lots of people are having trouble connecting this evening because of storms. I can't remember storms causing such disruption in the past -- and certainly in my area it was nothing special... 15 mins of thunder and lightning about 6 hours ago.

Simon