cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First 10 days question

N/A

First 10 days question

Hi.

I've recently joined PN and am wondering if my download speeds should change at all in my first 10 days, or does this change after the 10 days is up?

My BT profile thingy, from the BT test site, says I should be 2500kbs. The PN portal says I'm connected at 500kbs. This latter figure seems to match my current speed test results, and I seem to get a constant 500kbs for the past 7 days.

Having never been through this 10 tuning before I don't really know what to expect. What seems to be making me paranoid is that my journey to PN from my old ISP was far from smooth.

Despite BT telling PN that my connection had been migrated, I found that I could still connect to my old ISP, but not to PN. PN raised the issue with BT, something to do with my realm, and it wasn't until 2 days after PN claimed that I had connected that I could indeed connect.

To add further confusion for me I find that my phone line seems to have developed a fault and when I pick up the phone I get a really crackly line that causes my connection to drop. (I know this is another issue and I've checked things like filters etc.)

Anyway, what with me not seemingly being connected properly from the off and my phone line acting up I'm rather worried that I'll be stuck on 500kbs hell.

Anyhoo, I've rambled on a bit. Any advice would be welcome.
5 REPLIES
Saturn
Grafter

First 10 days question

It sounds like PN have your profile incorrectly set at 500kb. I recently upgraded to DSLMax and had to raise a ticket to ask PN to revise my profile. Tell them you are now synching at 2500kb.

Tickets are raised by goint to the Help Assistant off Help & Support (top of the page on the right) - in case you haven't found it yet.
sam
Grafter

First 10 days question

Hi waimanmak,

It appears that you profile was not reset as saturnnet advised after the regrade.

I have now made the necessary changes to your account and you should see the higher speeds after a reboot.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: First 10 days question

To add further confusion for me I find that my phone line seems to have developed a fault and when I pick up the phone I get a really crackly line that causes my connection to drop. (I know this is another issue and I've checked things like filters etc.)

This is not another issue, it is the issue. You need to find the reason for the crackly line and get it fixed. If you sync at a low speed because of a problem, BT set an IP Profile speed on your line which is a speed it thinks your line will work at consistently. This will be around the speed of your low sync event. Only after 3 days syncing at higher speeds will it raise the IP Profile.

Firstly you need to establish if the handset has a problem (can you borrow one for 5 minutes to check). If it is not the handset you then need to check if the noise is still there if you plug the phone directly in to the master socket without the filter. If that is still noisy and you have a split faceplate, test the phone in the test socket.

If that is still noisy you need to report this as a normal phone fault and don't mention ADSL. You may find the BT engineers quiet line test facility useful - 17070 option 2.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

First 10 days question

Thanks for the replys.

@Elvin
Yep, I had raised a fault with BT and I have followed the exact same steps you have mentioned when they first were in contact with me. Tried my phone in another line (analogue line at work) and it was crackle free, borrowed another phone and tried that at home and got crackles. My socket in my room is the master socket, it has a split in the front and I've taken that off and plugged the phone straight into that and I still get crackles.
James
Grafter

First 10 days question

In which case you need to speak to BT Retail on 150.

This suggests a problem on the voice side of your line rather than the ADSL side as provided by BT Wholesale.