cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firewalls, Firewalls, and more Firewalls!

nicecuppa
Grafter

Hi, I am confused about the myriad of firewalls and which one I need to be using. I am going to be moving to BBYW option 3 at the end of the month and I asked for the wireless router BT1800HG. This has a built in firewall and I have activated it. I also run AVG and Zonealarm. My question is do I still need to run Zonealarm if the router already has a firewall? And what about the windows firewall and the firewall option that Plusnet offer?

Please could someone explain things in lehman's terms for me.

Thanks

Dave
6 REPLIES
sophos9
Grafter

Dave, the routers firewall will filter internet facing traffic coming into your private network so in theory, your private network should be safe. We know however that this is not the safest option

The best option would be to activate your routers firewall to filter internet traffic AND run a personal firewall to capture malicious data from your local PC

Hope this helps
Community Veteran

Personally I would keep Zone Alarm for two reasons;

1) It will high light, and block out going connections.

2) As you have wireless, it does provide a second defence to your wireless security.

Chilly
Community Veteran

When you say AVG, do you mean just the anti-virus software or are you also using their firewall as well as ZoneAlarm? You should not use more than one software based firewall on your system.

As stated above, you need both your routers firewall and a local software firewall for complete protection.

Your router firewall will block any incoming attempts at getting into your system but allows any outgoing connections.

Your software firewall (ZoneAlarm) will monitor and warn/block any outgoing as well as incoming connections. This will then protect you if you were infected by a virus or have malware installed which can arrive via legitimate connections like email and websites.
nicecuppa
Grafter

I just use avg for the antivirus.

Thanks all for your replies, I'm a bit clearer in my head now about this.

Should I bother with the Plusnet firewall thing or will that be overkill?
Community Veteran

no need to use the PN firewall.
N/A

If it doesn't break anything you use (gamers mostly) then why not?

The PN firewall will both be an extra layer of security for any potential attacker to have to compromise (UPnP for example being a vector to poke holes through router firewalls) and also prevent most malicious traffic geting to your router at all- even though it's dropped at the router it's still counted against your bandwidth allowance.

Why should you pay for portscans and probes?