cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finger postmaster - Exchange Server - ADSL

N/A

Finger postmaster - Exchange Server - ADSL

Now our ADSL connection "seems" to be back, I need to dequeue the autoturn server.

However, the custom command option within exchange server is within the dialup tab which obviously we no do not use.

How therefore can I finger the autoturn server to release the SMTP mail?

Much confused, PlusNet have told me to "look on the net for help"....would you believe it?
6 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Finger postmaster - Exchange Server - ADSL

> Now our ADSL connection "seems" to be back, I need to dequeue the autoturn server.
>
> However, the custom command option within exchange server is within the dialup tab which obviously we no do not use.
>
> How therefore can I finger the autoturn server to release the SMTP mail?
>
> Much confused, PlusNet have told me to "look on the net for help"....would you believe it?

Hi,

I believe you have spoken to my colleague regarding this who has offered some suggestions. This has also been amended to your Contact Us log. However please bear in mind that Exchange Server is commercial software with support provided by Microsoft and as such there is a limited amount of support we can offer for Exchange issues.

Regards,
Rob

| Robert Kelly...............Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support......................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd............@ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----- +

N/A

I appreciate that Exchange is a Microsoft product, but I also appreciate that PlusNet offer an SMTP service and therefore MUST be able to carry out administrative tasks on their own servers - hence, can you not start off the transfer from your side?

I have read on previous posts that all I need to do is ping the autoturn server which should tell it that i'm online and then issue the finger command - which I have done, but no email.

Our SMTP is routed to 212.xxx.xxx.170 which is port forwarded by our firewall to our exchange server. However, our adsl connection is on 169 so therefore, will the finger command ever work?

Surely with all the technology at your finger tips, you must be able to start it from your side.
N/A

> I appreciate that Exchange is a Microsoft product, but I also appreciate that PlusNet offer an SMTP service and therefore MUST be able to carry out administrative tasks on their own servers - hence, can you not start off the transfer from your side?
>
> I have read on previous posts that all I need to do is ping the autoturn server which should tell it that i'm online and then issue the finger command - which I have done, but no email.
>
> Our SMTP is routed to 212.xxx.xxx.170 which is port forwarded by our firewall to our exchange server. However, our adsl connection is on 169 so therefore, will the finger command ever work?
>
> Surely with all the technology at your finger tips, you must be able to start it from your side.

Hi there,

We can attempt to initiate delivery from here but this has to be done manually and hence wouldn't be practical to do on a regular basis. The finger command needs to come from the machine on .170 Ensure that you're not blocking port 79 (used by Finger) on the firewall. Let us know how you get on.

With regards to the connectivity issue can you confirm you definitely made no changes to your router? We're still investigating what the cause may be here and we haven't changed anything.

Regards,
Rob

| Robert Kelly...............Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support......................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd............@ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----- +
N/A

Thanks for that, but there is phyically no pc or server with .170 as an IP, it's purely port forwarded via the firewall to port 25 on our server.

I have just removed all blocking on the firewall. So can you please manually start the transfer?

How many messages are currenly queued?
N/A

Also, i confirm that I have made no additional changes to our setup. I simply powered everything off again, as I have done before, powered it all back, and hey presto, we're in business.
N/A

Ok, sorted it.
I changed the IP address of our firewall to .170. Then send a ping from the firewall to the autoturn server, then sent the finger command from command prompt and after a few seconds got a reply back saying queue sent to 212. etc etc.

Mail is coming in thick & fast.

I would still like to know the most probable cause of our 4 day outage, but in any case, thanks to everyone at plusnet, especially Dave Watson.

Let's hope it doesn't go titsup again too soon!