cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finger.exe tool does not trigger SMTP mail delivery

N/A

Hi,

I recently logged a call with Plusnet regarding the above issue. If our internet connection has been dropped, any emails sent to us in this period sit on the autoturn server. We would trigger email delivery by typing finger postmaster@autoturn.plus.net from the command prompt. The prerequisites for this are that outbound port 79 is open,and you run the command from the mail server IP.
Our SMTP email is working fine, and network monitor proves that finger traffic is leaving our network, which proves it to be an external issue. Plusnet have said that they cannot help us with this issue as no one else have reported any problems, and their servers appear to be ok.

i have involved Microsoft and have worked with them checking server logs, trying from standalone workstation, using telnet autoturn.force9.net 79 instead of the finger utitlity, which connects to the server, brings up a blank console screen but does not trigger mail delivery. We have another server at a different site with the identical setup with a different plusnet account, and the command works fine.

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks,

Robin
6 REPLIES
Ben_Brown
Grafter

It could be that the firewall on autoturn hasn't been configured to allow you access to the autoturn server. I'm looking into this now.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

I've had a word with the networks guys and it looks like your details on autoturn weren't quite right. They've altered these now and it should be fine, can you try it again and let me know the outcome please?
N/A

Re finger issue

Hi Ben,

Thanks for looking at this issue, I have checked back but unfortunately the problem still seems to be occurring, I have rebooted router and server just to make sure.

This is what happens:

I would expect to see this:

c:finger postmaster@autoturn.plus.net
[autoturn.plus.net]
> Your ip is 70.233.42.23
0 messages queued

instead I get this:

[autoturn.plus.net]

When I telnet autoturn.plus.net 79 I get a blank console screen with no text.

If port 79 is blocked by our firewall I get the following message

[autoturn.plus.net]
> Finger: connect::Host is unreachable

Thanks in advance,

Robin
Ben_Brown
Grafter

This is most odd, I'll see if I can shed any more light on this.

Just another thing, can you PM me the IP address you are trying to deque the email from, i.e. the IP address of your mailserver.
N/A

Hi, was this problem resolved as I'm getting exactly the same response from the finger commend. Dom't know whether I have to raise a ticket or not.
N/A

FInger issue

Hi there,

Yes, the problem was down to an access list at Plusnet not auto updating. I've seen this happen a couple of times when changing the SMTP delivery address.

Try connecting using telnet to port 79 to autoturn.plus.net. If it comes up with a blank screen, it sounds like the same issue, Ie it can connect but doesnt authenticate.

Regards,

Robin