cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filter spam for some mailboxes only?

primrose
Dabbler

As I understand it, spam filtering is either on or off. It either applies to all my mailboxes or to none of them. Right so far?

If so, is there any possibility of making it more flexible? I don't want it on for all mailboxes, because some mailboxes are getting false positives. But I'd like to have it on for those mailboxes that don't seem to get false positives.

Also, if filtering is on, will that affect mail sent to my new domain name too?
11 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

At the moment we've only got a global setting for spam, it's either on for all mailboxes or off for all mailboxes. The same applies for any domain names on the account, if the spam setting is on then it's on for the domain and plus.com address. We are looking into the possibility of more individual settings which may happen in a later phase of the email project.
Trapper_Dave
Grafter

Should I have a SPAM folder in my webmail? Because I don't appear to, yet I've asked for all my e-mail marked as SPAM to be filed in it.
N/A

Should I have a SPAM folder in my webmail?
There's a handy little video here: http://www.plus.net/support/security/spam/webmail_spam.shtml Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Should I have a SPAM folder in my webmail? Because I don't appear to, yet I've asked for all my e-mail marked as SPAM to be filed in it.
The Spam folder is created automatically when Spam is received.
No spam then no folder to subscribe to.
Trapper_Dave
Grafter

Should I have a SPAM folder in my webmail?
There's a handy little video here: http://www.plus.net/support/security/spam/webmail_spam.shtml Wink

I don't have any folders to subscribe or unsubscribe from. I'm pretty certain that my university account (it's been Squirrelmail for the past three years) automatically moves SPAM into a SPAM folder for me to view the e-mails incase something that shouldn't got caught up in it.

Also, I apologise as to why I feel that I have to write the offending word in caps, it's inexplicable on my part.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Have you set the option to mark mail as spam and move it to the spam folder under Manage My Mail in email settings?
mapletree
Grafter

We are looking into the possibility of more individual settings which may happen in a later phase of the email project.

This would be great. I would particularly like the option to set the spam "probability" thresholds differently for different mailboxes so I can have a more aggressive filter for the kids.

I'd rather they got the old false positive than risk them getting any of the offensive emails that we have been plagued with recently.
Trapper_Dave
Grafter

Have you set the option to mark mail as spam and move it to the spam folder under Manage My Mail in email settings?

Alas not as I cannot find it. Shockedops:
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

I would particularly like the option to set the spam "probability" thresholds differently for different mailboxes so I can have a more aggressive filter for the kids.

I don't know how feasible that would be, I'd have thought it would be possible but likely a lot of work. Will see if I can add it to the suggestions list.
mitchell20
Grafter

Sometimes the SPAM folder is not automatcially created as in my case. I had to log into webmail and manully add the Spam folder to all my mailboxes.

Make sure Spam protection is switched on by clicking 'Email Settings' from the Portal home page, then click on the 'Manage My Mail' icon, then click the 'Spam' tab. Make sure the 'On' option is selected and the 'Move it to my Spam Folder' is also selected and finally click 'Update Settings'

If the Spam folder is not created automatically by doing the above you will have to manually add a Spam folder for everymail box you have set-up

Click the 'Folders' link at the top
Put the word Spam in the box under 'Create folder' - note the capitol S in Spam.
Click 'create'
You will have to do this with every mailbox you have so if reqired log out and log back into your next mailbox.

I've now also set Windows Mail (Vista version of Outlook Express) to automatically delete anything that slips though the net.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Alas not as I cannot find it. Shockedops:

Go to email settings on the left, then Manage My Mail then the Spam tab and the settings should be there.