cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File sharing on Broadband Plus

N/A

As far as I see it the main text describing the speeds of file sharing on Broadband Plus is defined here:

In order to ensure we deliver a high level of service, during busy periods we will give priority to services such as web browsing and email and a lower priority to high usage services such as downloading and file sharing.

This in no way highlights the true extent of throttling on Broadband Plus. It's just a "how long is a piece of string" definition. In my experience file sharing is all but disabled on BB+.

It goes on to say:

If you regularly file-share and download, take a look at Broadband Premier.

Now that's fine. But if one wants to download a DVD once every two months (not what I'd call regular), they need to be able to determine if Broadband Plus is suitable or not. Your "how long is a piece of string" definition of how throttled BB+ is is absolutely useless for making this decision.

Comments please (specifically on how poorly defined throttling on BB+ is)?
13 REPLIES
N/A

well ain't that the truth!!!!!
N/A

I wouldnt worry its no better on Broadband Premier

Your looking at 10-20 kbps peak times i no Sad
Azagoth
Grafter

10-20K is a lot better than the 1k I'm getting, and that's 1k at any time of the day or night. I even left my PC downloading a small mp3 (7MB) over night, from about 1am until roughly 8am and it still hadn't finished when I got up.

I know that BB+ is heavily throttled for P2P, I knew that when I signed up, but 1K is quite frankly ridiculous. In the three months that I've been with +net I've only used around the 50GB mark all told, about 15GB a month, and that's mainly with HTTP, FTP and gaming with which the speeds are great and I can't complain.

I'm not fussy, I'd quite happily take speeds or 20k for P2P as I knew it was throttled when i signed up and I did so knowing this, but I never expected it to be as low as 1k, hell, I was getting 5k on my old tiscali dial-up connection.
suec45
Grafter

I get fine speeds on P2p even at peak times, To be getting 20K there is something wrong with your system/connection.

Yes I agree the BB+ ad is almost a con, it should say 'if you want to use P2P ever then get BB premier.'

From the wording it sounds like you would get good speeds off peak.
Azagoth
Grafter

I get fine speeds on P2p even at peak times, To be getting 20K there is something wrong with your system/connection.

So you're saying that people who only get 20k have something wrong with their PC or connection? My PC is fine, in tip-top order actually and my connection is just dandy for everything else, and I only get 1k when using P2P anytime of the day or night!

However, like I said above, I knew it was throttled when I signed on. I just didn't realise that it would be throttled to 1k on a 2MB connection. I mean come on, 1k is just plain ridiculous!
N/A

I know I might not be talking about EXACTLY what your point is, but you do need to remember that when using P2P the speed with which you can download is limited by the speed with which the seeder has set his program to upload.

Now obviously if you download files that have a lot of seeders and you regularly only get a 1kb download then you have a problem, but it is something to bear in mind; you may simply be leeching from a sinlge person who has a very slow connection.

Just my 2 pennies worth Tongue
N/A

taylorsd1, I think most of us are aware of how Bittorrent works. Currently I'm getting 2-4 kbyte/sec with over 1,000 seeds and over 13,000 peers available. I would still like an answer to my original post from a CS rep re: vague product descriptions (a.k.a. goalposts on wheels).
N/A

Sorry if it seemed if I was assuming you had no idea of how P2P works - it's just that in different forums (admittedly not PlusNet ones) I've read the same type of question about slow speeds only for the people posting to not really understand how it works.

Playing devils advocate - if you're not happy with the way P2P works on BB+, why not upgrade to Premier?
N/A

I agree with the poor wording in PlusNet's advertising - it does make it sound like that using P2P on BB+ off-peak you will at least get -some- speed. Having said that, at £14.99 a month, you can hardly complain.

I've been using BB+ for just over a week, and so far I've found it to be more than adequate for mine (and my housemate's) needs. We hardly use P2P applications, so we're not really affected. But I can imagine that people who do use P2P on the odd occaison would be pretty annoyed with PlusNet's wording.

My opinion: PlusNet should make it absolutely clear to new customers that P2P is as good as disabled on BB+ accounts. At the moment, they make it sounds like you'd get good speeds off-peak. Which is total poppycock.

Other than that, I'm very happy with BB+, especially the price Cheesy Keep up the good work folks!

-Paul
LiamM
Grafter

I agree, Plus is very poorly advertised and I've been trying to challenge Plusnet on this with no valid response in my opinion.

Plus is a fantastic product at a fantastic price point however, for mainstream and average joe bloggs internet users. I have signed up many people to Plus who are more than happy. General web surfing, http downloads etc... are superb and these are people that don't use P2P.

But P2P speeds on Plus are dreadfully throttled... far more than one imagines by reading the Plus description on the website. In my opinion this is misleading.
N/A

Plus is a fantastic product at a fantastic price point however, for mainstream and average joe bloggs internet users.

I hear that. Really can't fault PN on the service on all traffic apart from P2P. They should at least change the wording in the advertising, as it's extremely mis-leading, and not everyone would check the forums for the real story first Cheesy

Thankfully, I did, so I knew what was coming, so it didn't really bother me.

-Paul
Community Veteran

I agree, Plus is very poorly advertised and I've been trying to challenge Plusnet on this with no valid response in my opinion.

Plus is a fantastic product at a fantastic price point however, for mainstream and average joe bloggs internet users. I have signed up many people to Plus who are more than happy. General web surfing, http downloads etc... are superb and these are people that don't use P2P.

But P2P speeds on Plus are dreadfully throttled... far more than one imagines by reading the Plus description on the website. In my opinion this is misleading.

Very fairly and squarely put. And nice to see a Mod taking stuff on board and being open. I am sure that kind of thing goes a long way to alleviate some of the frustration felt by users posting here. Cheers
N/A

No question about Broadband Plus being a good product at a good price for people not wanting/needing P2P. I have just signed my Dad up to it in fact, as I know he will not be going beyond using email and web browsing. I see it as better value than Pay-per-Gigabyte packages because one Microsoft Service Pack can use up half of one month's 1GB quota!

But, as far as selling the product goes, be open. If they said "Peer-to-peer downloading will be throttled to dial-up speeds and may be disabled altogether at our discretion" then I wouldn't have a problem with the description. As it stands prospective customers are NOT given the full picture. Just to say "priority is given to other services during busy periods" is such a disgraceful understatement.