cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fed up with vacuuous responses from customer support

N/A

Here is a copy of a response I just sent to customer support regarding a connection problem ticket which has been open for the last 5 days:

"All of the questions you have just asked have already been answered. You have provided no new information.

I have already told you that there are no telephone extensions in the house.

I have already told you that the connection is through a *router*, so peripherals plugged into my PC are irrelevant. Actually I don't use a Windows PC so this is doubly irrelevant.

I don't keep spare hardware around in case I need to try something so this is not an option. I already told you this. The router is capable of being perfectly stable for months on end so this is unlikely to be a firmware problem.

To be absolutely honest after this round of problems and the problems I experienced in July/Aug this is the last chance for Plusnet.

Tell me what is wrong with the connection. Give me factual information about why it disconnects. Check your log files, tell me when it disconnects and what the reason is. If you cannot do this then tell me so and I will find an ISP who can. Using BT as a crutch is not acceptable.

You provide the service, you need to make the service work. If you believe there is a fault with the line then have BT come out and fix it. Don't threaten me with callout charges, I'm not a BT wholesale customer, Plusnet is. Do what you need to do to fix the connection."

I really don't understand why every step of every conversation with plusnet needs to start with 'disconnect your extensions', 'disconnect your peripherals', particularly when the ticket history already answers these questions. Do the support people not bother reading what has gone before?

Like I said there is absolutely no point in me paying any amount of money for a connection which simply does not work. As of now I am cancelling my direct debit. Plusnet can chase me to hell and back for any moneys I owe them. That includes the deferred activation fee. So far as I am concerned they are in breach of contract for not providing service so all other terms of that contract are void.

-AL
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Fed up with vacuuous responses from customer support

So far as I am concerned they are in breach of contract for not providing service so all other terms of that contract are void.

In principle of course nobody would disagree with you. However, to be absolutley sure you are safe in this assertion you should send them a real letter by post stating your problems, why you think it has been badly handled and ask them to set a reasonable plan or timeline for fixing the problem. if they fail to follow that plan ... then you have grounds. During this time of course your service is quite possibly not of Satisfactory Quality and you could expect to be compensated.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Don't threaten me with callout charges, I'm not a BT wholesale customer, Plusnet is.

While I can appreciate your frustration with the problem and it does seem as if you're going round in circles (when answering questions) your broadband still uses BT Wholesale to connect to PlusNet, and when you report a connection problem then that is who it gets raised to.

The call-out fee is not a threat, it is a reality for when any ISP calls out BT for a connection problem and if it turns to be an internal wiring problem, your hardware or configuration. PlusNet are simply trying to make sure all angles have been covered and are informing you about the charge levied by BT if it turns out to be a problem at your end. It is exactly the same for if you report a BT voice problem, and if say for example you reported an electricity problem and the issue was beyond the meter.

In regards to hardware - it would be useful if you could try something else. Even if you have nothing to hand, see if you could borrow from a friend or even buy a cheap ADSL modem (they can't be that much on somewhere like EBay ...?).

Routers can and do suddenly die after working fine previously for months (as one of mine did once). I thought I had a connection problem and it certainly did appear it was the case. Only by trying other hardware I realised it wasn't. I was surprised they can go wrong like this.

That said - hope you get it sorted soon Wink
bigbry
Dabbler

I have total sympathy for you mate. Why don't you try ringing them I am sure there will be someone at the other end to explain? However you will have to wait an hour for the privilege!!

The best thing to probably do is pretend that you have in fact done everthing that they ask. My opinion is that unless you are stupid you know if its a problem with your kit or with BT. Therefore the likelihood is that you will not lose the £50 BT would charge if its your problem and if it was your problem sometimes its worth £50 to find out what it is.
N/A

i posted a letter to them and it seemed to get more respect as i got a reply the next day.

worth a try.
N/A

try changing your isp before you bother with anything else. it is the one link in the chain you KNOW is broken.