cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fax to email service

Username
Grafter

Fax to email service

Is there still a cut off period on Home accounts that do not receive a fax on their allocated 0870 number that effectively means they loose that 0870 number?

If so, what is the time limit?

Thanks to anyone who can help, Andrew
53 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Fax to email service

You must receive at least 1 fax every 3 months. If your fax service is not used for 3 months it will be withdrawn, without notice, and the number put back into the pool for others to use.

So send yourself a fax each month.
Community Veteran

Fax to email service

I just received notice of losing mine today.

This is an email regarding the deactivation of your Fax-2-Email service. You
need take no action now but please take the time to read on to find out how
this affects your service.

Our usage statistics have shown us that you have not used the Fax-2-Email
service in the previous three months and therefore we have deactivated the fax
number, allowing us to reallocate it to other users. More details about this
process can be found in our Acceptable Use Policies on the PlusNet website.
http://portal.plus.net

Don't worry, if you ever need to use Fax-2-Email it can easily be reactivated
at any time. However if you choose to do this it is likely that we will need
to allocate you a new fax number.

If you have any further queries, our friendly Support Team can be contacted
via the convenient 'Contact Us' facility at our website
(http://portal.plus.net/contactus.html) or by telephone on 0845 1400200.

Kind Regards,

PlusNet Customer Support
barnyandpippa
Grafter

Fax to email service

I just recieved a similar notice.

I was aware of the three month cut-off period so I'm not altogether surprised, howvever most decent companies would have sent out a "your number is about to de deactivated" not gone ahead and done it and then told us afterwards.

The trouble with customer service is that techies are no good at it. This probably explains why PlusNet is streets ahead with its service technically but its customer relations are s**t.

Why put us and you through the pain of having to set up a new fax number when a simple email a week ago would have prevented this arising?
jberry
Grafter

Fax to email service

The reason that the 3 month deactivation rule was put in place was to prevent people from just turning it on for the sake of it. The 0870 numbers are not free and to continue providing the service at all to residential customers we had to introduce a way of claiming numbers back.

To mail everyone and tell them would defeat the object of the excersise as everyone would just fax themselves and we would get no numbers freed up.

Regards,
Community Veteran

Fax to email service

I was aware of the three month cut-off period so I'm not altogether surprised, howvever most decent companies would have sent out a "your number is about to de deactivated" not gone ahead and done it and then told us afterwards.

The reason it is done this way is obvious when you think about it. If you were told before hand your fax service was to be withdrawn because you have not received a fax in the past 3 months, what would be the first thing you would do? - I bet it would be to send a fax to yourself, and I bet everyone else would too thus meaning PlusNet cannot free up and thus reuse those numbers for other users who may possibly have a more genuine requirement.

Also if you knew there was a 3 month limit would you not have made sure you had a least 1 fax within that period if this was critical to your business or the reason you asked for the service in the first place.

Quite often people will ask for something because 'it's there' then never use it. PlusNet don't have an infinate number of fax numbers and they cost them money so it would be unfair for someone to have asked for a number then never used it and that number could never be released.

This way you have been given a fair amount of time to establish your use of the service and if you don't you lose it.

Why put us and you through the pain of having to set up a new fax number when a simple email a week ago would have prevented this arising?

Or a simple fax sent to yourself - you have already stated you knew about the 3 month cut-off rule and a simple thing like sending yourself a fax each month or two would also have solved this issue.

You can't blame PlusNet for wanting to make sure it's resources are used by those who actually need them. There may be ligit businesses waiting for a fax number and this is one way PlusNet can accomodate them with limited numbers.

The trouble with customer service is that techies are no good at it. This probably explains why PlusNet is streets ahead with its service technically but its customer relations are [removed]

I and possibly many others would disagree with that statement but you are entitled to your opinion.
Community Veteran

Fax to email service

Let’s face it if you have not received a fax in the last 3 months, why do you need the number sitting there.
I, like Josh said signed up for the Fax-2-email server when I joined Plus.Net. And have never really received any faxes on it.

It seams that they have just run out of numbers, so have decided to enforce the 3 months rule. I would suggest that they make better reference to it on the sign up page for fax-2-email.

Chilly
Community Veteran

Fax to email service

Also with a 0870 number, Plus.Net receive money for every fax you receive, so they don’t want to pay for the 0870 number unless you are receiving faxes, and getting their cut.

This is simple economics as someone has to pay for the service.

Chilly
N/A

Fax to email service

I wonder what happens to any faxes that are sent to a number after it has been cut-off...
Username
Grafter

Fax to email service

I seem to remember that many months ago there was a problem with the fax-2-email platform and a major upgrade was finally installed to increase capacity.

The result I understood was that the 3 month time limit was added to domestic accounts, but no limit would be introduced on busines accounts...
Nick_Russell
Grafter

Fax to email service

I have to agree with the ideas that to cancel your fax number and then send a notice is unacceptable. Many people will publish a fax number (letterheads, emails etc) but this may be used infrequently in these days of email. Regarding chillypenguins comments - if he has not given the fax number out maybe he shouldn't be surprised not to have received any faxes!

Why can't fax numbers be set never to expire if a subscription is maintained? I know I could send a fax to myself every 3 months to keep it active but why is this necessary?

There is little difference to PlusNet maintaining a fax number that is used 4 times a year just to maintain the number, to one that is never used . If it is a cost problem and PlusNet are looking to make some money from the 0870 number I would be happy to pay £1 per year to cover any loss of income from these 4 faxes.

A compromise would be for the user to receive an email PRIOR to loosing their fax number warning them, but this seems a bit pointless - just let us keep numbers whilst we maintain our subscription.
Community Veteran

Fax to email service

I agree sending an email before loosing it would be the best option - say 2 weeks before or the ability to retreive an old number.

This is something I will take up for discussion with th ePlusNet Usergroup.

Chris
N/A

I too feel aggrieved

I too was aggrieved to have my fax number pulled. I wasn't clearly aware of the three month rule - I think they must have announced it quietly. I notice that the lists of features that I saw when I joined have now been swept away with the new home accounts.

I have a legitimate reason for wanting to keep a stable number, but actually get about 3 faxing episodes per year. It is hardly "Business" though. I can't go round updating people all the time - sometimes I'll want to get some info quick and it's much easier to say "use the fax number I gave you".
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: I too feel aggrieved

I too was aggrieved to have my fax number pulled. I wasn't clearly aware of the three month rule

On the portal page where you set up fax to email its says
Fax-2-Email is subject to reset should it remain unused for 3 months
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

Fax to email service

Why can't fax numbers be set never to expire if a subscription is maintained? I know I could send a fax to myself every 3 months to keep it active but why is this necessary?

It is not a cost related matter but one of the way numbers are assigned.

They are a scarce resource, much the same way as IP addresses. Once they run out, you simply can't get any more.

This is effectivly what happens some time ago. People kept hold of number that remained unused, whilst new users where prevented access to the service, due to these dormant numbers.