cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fault tests, what's involved?

mcsheepie
Grafter

Your fault has been raised to our supplier. Please note that they can take between 48-72 hours to provide a response.

What you should do now
---------------------------------
Please make sure you keep your broadband equipment switched on. This is so we and our supplier can run any tests that may be necessary.

Got this added to my ticket and was just wondering what the tests involve? I left on my router as it asked and when i checked my vmbu (from work) it had usage on it for today. I haven't used my connection since yesterday evening so i was wondering if the tests would appear on my usage?
5 REPLIES
James
Grafter

Wouldn't expect BT's tests to show any noticeable usage on your account. Initial tests are normally a case of checking for sync from the exchange, depending on what sort of fsult you have.
mcsheepie
Grafter

Ok, i checked this morning and it was sitting at 160KB paid for usage. Its now at 558KB and i haven't been at home or on my connection all day.
Strangely this only appears in the summary page, the monthly page shows no usage today and the totals bit isn't showing todays mystery usage either.
Whats going on? Is there a problem with the vmbu? :?
James
Grafter

Has your router been connected during this period of time? It could be something as simple as background traffic being recorded.
mcsheepie
Grafter

Ah, never thought of that, don't normally leave on the router so it usually shows up as 0 if I'm not doing anything.
Cheers for the answer.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Have you enabled the Plusnet firewall? That will cut down on background traffic even when the router is left on.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)