cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fault monitoring

N/A

Fault monitoring

After a flippant off-the-cuff remark I made today, it occured to me that there might be some usefulness in it:

I've noticed that, very often, the number of new posts (say in every 6 hours) in the customer feedback newsgroup rises steeply when there's a system-wide problem. I don't know if this is the same with the forum (I'm not here much).

Maybe Nagios could be set-up to monitor the rate of new posts to the customer feedback newsgroup or forum? Just a thought.
3 REPLIES
craigbrass
Grafter

Fault monitoring

I thought Nagios was just to monitor server load levels and server uptime status'.
N/A

Fault monitoring

Nagios can monitor all sorts of data.

It is controlled by little plug-ins, each designed for a certain task.

One for uptime, one for pings, one to test a mailbox, one to test for spam (ie, are your servers listed in a RBL).

They are relativly simple to create.
N/A

Fault monitoring

I thought Nagios was just to monitor server load levels and server uptime status'.

Which is, in itself, not always very helpful—especially when a server is working correctly, but is running very slowly (for example).

Phil is correct when he says that Nagios can be adapted for all sorts of monitoring uses by plug-ins. I understand that there is a large open-source user-base for the application, knocking out plug-ins all the time.

I speak from experience, when I say that monitoring software falls short of expectations. I once saw a server fall over completely, and yet still showed green status - because the monitoring software couldn't see any error messages in the server log (because it couldn't see the server log!) :lol: