cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fast and Slow speeds according to web site ?

N/A

Hi all,
I have an issue with variable speeds while browsing the web. I know its not Plus.net, as When some pages slow to a stop, I am happily gaming and browsing in other windows - But I am hoping I can get some response as to what could be going on.

I have a web site with hosts www.krystal.co.uk who have recently changed the location of their servers to the UK from the USA. Since this change my web site occasionally goes into slow-mode (or even stop mode). Its extremely frustrating as my web site involves online db interaction and management, meaning I cant do squat until it speeds up again.

The down times vary a lot and usually the site will go down (for me) for 30mins to an hour at a time.

I have contacted my hosts who are looking into the issue - but they insist that there is no overloading or any problems with the servers which are not even close to being worked. Their support also have no problem browsing to my site, while I just cant get a page to load, waiting up to 10 minutes before it times out or just gives up on half the page.

Krystal are suggesting that there could be problems with linking between us and them, and reassure me that this problem is probably very remote and 99.9% of visitors to my site will not be having the same problems, but this is no consolation. In addition, some of the hosts web sites become unavailable at the same time (unfortunately the support ticket area in particular).

Can anyone give me an idea on how I should approach this or what could be the cause ? Up to this point I have been very happy with the hosts, but having an unavailable web site, even if its only unavailable to me, is becoming more and more frustrating.

If there is an issue of connection to them, who could I question and how do I diagnose the problem ? I tried pinging my domain name and everything was fine, no packets lost, even though my browser was failing miserably to load a page – But this is about the extent of my knowledge..

Thank you in advance for any input,
Steven
5 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi Steven,

When your site goes slow do you notice any slowdowns with sites that aren't hosted with Krystal? It's tough to say what the cause may be, there are a number of possibilities.

I would suggest to do a couple of things, first, next time the site goes slow try and browse the site using Megaproxy - www.megaproxy.com

I'd also suggest running a tracert or MTR to the site both when it's working OK and when it isn't to compare, details about how to do this are here:

http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/34

Depending on the results of these it might indicate where the slow downs are happening.
N/A

Thank you for the prompt reply.

Yes, I can happily browse around other sites, continue to play online games without any lag at all - It really does just appear to be this Krystal server in particular. For example, I have another domain hosted with them that is on a different one of their servers (I dont know the physical location of any of them - I only assume they are all in the same location) and I can browse to the second domain without problems while the first domain just wont load.

Now I have the tools I just need the lag...

As a test comparison, here is the Tracert while things are working (ID information edited with #'s):

tracert www.craftables.co.uk

Tracing route to craftables.co.uk [77.72.0.66]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms ###.######.### [192.168.0.1]
2 19 ms 20 ms 19 ms lo0-plusnet.pte-ag2.plus.net [195.166.128.72]
3 20 ms 18 ms 19 ms ge0-0-0-504.pte-gw2.plus.net [84.92.4.90]
4 18 ms 21 ms 19 ms 195.66.224.185
5 19 ms 18 ms 18 ms t3-3.mpd01.lon01.atlas.cogentco.com [130.117.2.2
5]
6 24 ms 23 ms 24 ms krystal.demarc.cogentco.com [149.6.146.18]
7 24 ms 27 ms 25 ms aphrodite.krystal.co.uk [77.72.0.66]

Trace complete.
N/A

Right, its been a while, but I have some results from a period when the web site gets lost in the ether:

Megaproxy failed to load the page reporting a timeout occured.

Here is the results of the tracert:

tracert www.craftables.co.uk

Tracing route to craftables.co.uk [77.72.0.66]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms mygateway1.ar7 [192.168.1.1]
2 18 ms 21 ms 36 ms lo0-plusnet.pte-ag2.plus.net [195.166.128.72]
3 35 ms 15 ms 26 ms ge0-0-0-504.pte-gw2.plus.net [84.92.4.90]
4 15 ms 27 ms 16 ms 195.66.224.185
5 40 ms 31 ms 28 ms t3-3.mpd01.lon01.atlas.cogentco.com [130.117.2.2
5]
6 33 ms 34 ms 35 ms krystal.demarc.cogentco.com [149.6.146.18]
7 * * * Request timed out.
8 * * * Request timed out.
9 * * * Request timed out.
10 * * * Request timed out.
11 * * * Request timed out.
12 * * * Request timed out.
13 * * * Request timed out.
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 * * * Request timed out.
16 * * * Request timed out.
17 * * * Request timed out.
18 * * * Request timed out.
19 * * * Request timed out.
20 * * * Request timed out.
21 * * * Request timed out.
22 * * * Request timed out.
23 * * * Request timed out.
24 * * * Request timed out.
25 * * * Request timed out.
26 * * * Request timed out.
27 * * * Request timed out.
28 * * * Request timed out.
29 * * * Request timed out.
30 * * * Request timed out.

Trace complete.
jnwright
Grafter

Just sent you a PM - don't know whether it will help!
N/A

Thanks for the PM jnwright.

The same thing happened to me. When the site reappeared after my tracert I received the same php errors appear to the site. Logging into the cpanel to see if there were any system errors revealed that their mysql db had failed which will result in the web site working, but only to spit out annoying php db errors. I have had this happen in the past when the mysql db falls over server side but haven’t figured out how I can prevent the ugly (and potentially revealing) scripting errors being reported to everyone!

A while later, when the mysql server got a reboot (or whatever they do to it which probably involved another sort of boot) the site is back and working.

I am not sure if it a coincidence that the mysql server failed at the same time as the site not being found, I think it possibly is as I have been reassured in the past by krystal that the servers have been fully functional at the time of other disappearances.