cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fantastic. Sync rate does NOT equal your actual speed! - CSC

N/A

Having inspected through the the details of the problem in question, this does not appear to be a prolem, and is the ocrrect action associated with your line.

The syncronisation rate of your line should not be used as an indeication of the speed that you should be obtaining from the service.

It is entirly possible for the line to syncronise at a much higher rate than the throughput, but due to line conditions and resyncronisation as lower rate, ro a drop in the noise margin, a downstream rate lower than the sync rate is provided.

Should the sync rate then drop as a one off, the speeds will be unaffected.

Tests results on your line indicate a small number of erored seconds on the service. With this in mind, a lower throughput rate on the service, will only serve to ensure your line speeds remain stable.

Right..

So now I have a line which has random packet loss almost continously, a sync rate that is unachievable and many errored seconds.

How is this an upgrade Plusnet? I have stuck with these problems for 2 months thinking that something will be done, but now it just seems as if I have been fobbed off because nobody knows what to do.

This line was capable of 1MB prior to MaxDSL, it never had lag outs, errored seconds or packet loss. So please explain to me how you are going to sort of this issue because as far as I can see I am paying over £40 a month for an internet line as stable as a 33k modem.

If it could do 1MB before and can only do 1MB now then surely something is wrong other than what has been said. It sounds rather suspect to me because I can not as far as I can tell, even get 500kbps more on my actual speed.. This does not seem right.

Why would it put me at 1MB and say thats your limit yet never ever testing any other speed for 2 weeks. Prior to that it ran at 2MB absolutely fine and suddenly changed one day. All around the same time alot of other people were having this issue.

I am sorry but this explaination, answer, help, support or whatever you call it, is a load of rubbish. I should see a difference over the 1MB.

As far as I can see this has not even been raised with BT it is just a CSC rep response. I would really love to see the qualifications on MaxDSL engineering the CSC have if possible lol.

Here are the details their tests reported:

++internal++
xDSL Status Check Analysis
OK.

Circuit Information
Circuit In Sync
NTE In Service
NTE Power On
Bypass Not Activated
MUX In Service
Upstream xDSL Link Info
Loop Loss 30 dB
Margin 9 dB
Errored Seconds 33
HEC Errors 13
Cell Count 1167
Speed 832 k
Downstream xDSL Link Info
Loop Loss 41 dB
Margin 15 dB
Errored Seconds 8
HEC Errors 0
Cell Count 1282
Speed 2752 k

DSL MAX
Downstream Line Rate 1152
Downstream Line Rate Timestamp 21/06/2006 00:19:58
Maximum Stable Rate Re-set (Y/N) N
Profile Change Time 20/05/2006 05:21:19
Maximum Stable Rate 1152
Fault Threshold Rate 806
Interleaved Opt Out

So is 8 errored seconds enough to complete mash MaxDSL? I dont believe it is because I know other people with twice, three and fours times as much as this and they have 4mb stable connections.

This all seems a bit too odd to me for me to actual believe what has been said. I have never had a connection drop out.. Surely this would be the first sign of an unstable line.. I have never had a real speed change to anything near the sync speed.. It has never been tested at anything higher than 1mb in the last 2 weeks and 2mb prior to that..

Please.. Someone explain whats going on!
51 REPLIES
N/A

that dosn't sound right to me as i have a stable 4meg connection syncing at 8.1mbps and during peak times my noise margin dips to 5-6 db, off peak its 13+db.
Theres noway you should be at 1meg
N/A

OP......Sorry to go off topic.

But reading the quote it looks like PN need to start using a spellchecker.

Shockedops:
N/A

The thing that is really bothering me is this:

Having inspected through the the details of the problem in question, this does not appear to be a problem, and is the correct action associated with your line.
(edited spelling for better readability)

When at the same time:

other PN staff are telling us these sort of line stats with no real increase over our prior none-maxed connections is a BT Fault.

See here:
http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=44444

All I want to know is what the hell am I suppose to do now. I was told to report a fault, now I am being told there is no fault. The internet line is absolute rubbish to be quite honest, for 2 months I have had random slow downs where nothing responds for a few seconds which makes browsing a pain in the neck.

The line is constantly saying "it's okay Rob you will get the 2.8MB speeds your syncing at soon" and the majority of what PlusNet have been saying have agreed with this.

Although at the end of the day, when it comes down to Plusnet finally being the ones I HAVE TO TURN TOO.. This happens..

To tell you the truth I am torn between having to moan on here for another 2 months and have a whine at the CSC via tickets for help - or just contacting the governing bodies because this is getting ridiculous. Maybe Plusnet dont think I have a leg to stand on but as far as I can see I have been waiting 2 months for some support and everytime I have tried to get some this is what I have heard:

BT are looking into this problem, it is a wide spread problem and not just affecting you
    This problem has now been fixed by BT please contact Plusnet Customer Support for further assistance
    There is no fault on your line
    MaxDSL is suppose to behave like this
    Please do several speed tests
    Your line is capable of more and once *insert date* arrives you will see this
    Your are currently in your training period please wait *insert days*

:roll:

I dont know what the truth is or where I stand. All I know is I am paying what I see as a lot of money for a line and connection that is rubbish and Plusnet will not help me. Either they are incapable of helping me or are just trying to fob me off. Whatever it is I really dont appreciate it and my patience has now been exhausted.

-PS

What does this mean? Any ideas anybody?

Maximum Stable Rate Re-set (Y/N) N
N/A

bump
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

All I want to know is what the hell am I suppose to do now. I was told to report a fault, now I am being told there is no fault. The internet line is absolute rubbish to be quite honest, for 2 months I have had random slow downs where nothing responds for a few seconds which makes browsing a pain in the neck.

Hi,

Assuming that your line is sync'd now at around 2.8Mbps and stays sync'd at this rate then the short answer is do nothing. So long as it stays at this rate without decreasing for at least 3 days then the throughput will automatically update itself to 2000 or 2500.

If on the other hand any point in that time the sync rate decreases, even for a few minutes then that 3 day clock will reset. So for example if it syncs at 2.8Mbps for 2 days then does 2 minutes at 1.2Mbps before going straight back to 2.8Mbps for 2 days and then another 2 minutes at 1.2Mbps then the backend systems won't raise the throughput because it sees the sync decrease every 2 days.

If this is the case then the best suggestion is to take a look through

http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/10

and

http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/13

to see if there's anything you haven't tried.

Might also be worth looking if there's anything else that might be causing a quick sync drop such as central heating, street lights, security lights, or anything really that could cause RF interference.
N/A

Does the router need to be rebooted after the 3/4 days have passed to see the sync as my actual speed or should it all update automatically without reconnection?
N/A

Dear Dave

Whilst I normally hold your answers in high regard, partly because they are spelt correctly, have good grammar & punctuation (its an age thing Smiley ) and the advice itself is normally sound, on this occasion I have to take issue with you.

My line has synched without fail @ 8128/448 since I was maxed at least 6 weeks ago. Apart from one brief occasion when I got 7200kbps two tests in a row I have not bettered 5350kbps. The line does not improve, no matter how long the good synch speed persists.

You can justifiably say "what's he moaning about?". A lot of people would be happy with half that speed, but the point is that the Max product seems to fundamentally flawed, and nothing seems to be being done to correct it, either by BT or PN.

I believe if people knew that fixes had been implemented and thoroughly tested they would calm down if they knew the faults would be addressed in a reasonable timescale. Whilst people remain in the dark thay will remain angry and will move elsewhere.
N/A

Sorry to go off topic.. but as a "forum bright spark", aren't you supposed to know about these issues?
N/A

Sorry to go off topic.. but as a "forum bright spark", aren't you supposed to know about these issues?

I am a Computer Technician by trade not a DSL Engineer. I have my BrightSpark because I help folk in the Computers & Hardware section. I have about as much knowledge about ADSL as I do about Gardening lol. I wish I knew everything about everything but I dont, no BrightSpark does Wink

So no, I am not suppose to know about these issues. And even if I did I could only really know what PN tell me unless I was an DSL Engineer. As most of you know, what PN have told us about the actual workings of Max is not very much, either this is BTs fault or PNs, I dont know.

At the end of the day it doesnt matter how many qualifications I have - I pay Plusnet for my internet and as such they should produce the goods and the support. I feel they are not, not by a long shot.

I was Maxed 2 months ago and my sync speed was only my actual speed for 3 days right at the start. Since then my speeds have been either 1MB or 2MB whereas the 3 days I had 3-4-5MB speeds which was fantastic heh. PN have since then over the 2 months constantly asked me to wait or said I dont have a fault, or my hardware is dodgy blah blah blah.

Now I know about networking, routers and my own setup of everything. Nothing is wrong here, nothing I have done is classed as the wrong thing to do as far as I am aware. Maybe I have been causing my line not to work correctly but this is upto PN to clearly advise its customers what to do and what not to do. The only thing I have been told to do is "wait".

More clarity is what is needed heh. Do I reconnect or not, for example.
yugocrazy

Hi,

I`ve had the same kind of problems, (been syncing at 8meg since upgrade at the end of April - I get speeds the same as when I was on 2 meg)

I`ve had a ticket open since the beginning of May and done speed tests etc. Frustrated by this i posted on here and got told to contact the comms team for a sensible answer. Dave replied pretty quickly saying that BT reported that i should be getting 3.4mb - got asked to carry out more speed tests. This doesn`t follow what he said earlier in this post that if you carry on syncing at 8mb then you will eventually get there after 3 days.

So could I ask what the answer, does your speed eventually get to your sync rate if your constantly connected at it or is it completely seperate?
N/A

Hi there

I've tried every bit of folklore out there: leave it on; switch off once per day; switch on/off 10 times in 90 minutes etc etc.

None of it works, except in the sense of airline meals. Nobody is going to starve on a 3 hour flight; they do the trolley dolly routine just to alleviate boredom & prevent fights breaking-out, mass hysteria etc.

We're being fobbed off with this malarkey because either BT & the ISP's haven't got the answers, don't want us to know the answers (why?) or are piss-poor communicators. Take your pick.
N/A

There is without a doubt a lot of people with the same problems. Super high sync speeds but their actual speed is either the same as it was before or even worse. Unfortunatley alot of these people have already been fobbed off and told to wait, or that its suppose to be like this, obviously its not, it makes no sense.

MaxDSL is not suppose to make your connection worse but thats what most of us are actually seeing. If you are having similar issues and are being told to do as the above post said, wait 3 days on the current speed, change a router, remove a ring wire blah blah. If your in the same boat please post because PN are not going to listen to just 1 or 2 of us, they have shown this in the past.

It takes an uproar of customers to even be given the benefit of the doubt that MAYBE there is more to this than meets the eye. Come on Plusnet surely you can do better than to just keep repeating the same things over and over. I am pretty sure I have had a solid connection at times for over a week without a reboot, the speed does not change. No matter what I sync at, what router I use, if I stand on my head and sing the national anthem.. Its not moving from 1MB.

If you cant help me to a solution atleast tell me why this is happening. Why are other people on the same street not having these problems, its obviously not distance nor my line or street lights etc.

If you cant answer the questions now can you please tell us why not and when you expect to be able to?
N/A

Dear Dave

Whilst I normally hold your answers in high regard, partly because they are spelt correctly, have good grammar & punctuation (its an age thing Smiley ) and the advice itself is normally sound, on this occasion I have to take issue with you.

My line has synched without fail @ 8128/448 since I was maxed at least 6 weeks ago. Apart from one brief occasion when I got 7200kbps two tests in a row I have not bettered 5350kbps. The line does not improve, no matter how long the good synch speed persists.

You can justifiably say "what's he moaning about?". A lot of people would be happy with half that speed, but the point is that the Max product seems to fundamentally flawed, and nothing seems to be being done to correct it, either by BT or PN.

I believe if people knew that fixes had been implemented and thoroughly tested they would calm down if they knew the faults would be addressed in a reasonable timescale. Whilst people remain in the dark thay will remain angry and will move elsewhere.

I'm in same boat as yourself, Syncing at 8128/448 since day one and top speed test I have had at around 3am is 5.5mb...
cenobyte
Dabbler

Still got a stable rate of 500Kbps here even though my line has been perfectly stable since Sunday afternoon/evening and is syncing at 7Mbps or more. Reconnecting once a day hasn't made a bit of difference. My fault ticket also appears to be doing very little too.

Third time lucky with posting this - the portal keeps asking me to log in, and then loses my post. :x