cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fair usage levels

steed
Grafter

Fair usage levels

Could I have a clarification on the Fair Use policy.

I have read the description in the FAQ section.

Even if in the View My Usage chart I can see that I use less than 20 hours a week (in the Total column), I can still get an email saying that I have gone over the limit for the week.

I am to understand that now the usage is measured on a rolling 7 day period with no definate day being used to denote the start and end of the week as shown in the View My Usage (Mon-Sun)

For example:

Week commencing 19 Aug 2002:
If I didn't use any time Monday to Friday, and then 9 hours on Saturday and 9 hours on Sunday which would give a total 18 hours in the Total column for this week.
If I was then to use 3 hours on Monday for the Week commencing 26 Aug 2002 and no time for the remainder Tuesday to Sunday. Giving a total of 3 hours in the Total column for next week.

I would still receive a email notification about using more hours for the fair usage limit for the current week because I used 21 hours over three days even though it is shown has seperate weeks on the View My Usage chart.

Thanks

17 REPLIES
N/A

RE: Fair usage levels

Thanks for this posting. I have followed the recent threads on this and just could not understand them. Yep, I'm thick.
This post puts the question clearly. I now wait for an equally clear answer.

> Could I have a clarification on the Fair Use policy.
>
> I have read the description in the FAQ section.
>
> Even if in the View My Usage chart I can see that I use less than 20 hours a week (in the Total column), I can still get an email saying that I have gone over the limit for the week.
>
> I am to understand that now the usage is measured on a rolling 7 day period with no definate day being used to denote the start and end of the week as shown in the View My Usage (Mon-Sun)
>
> For example:
>
> Week commencing 19 Aug 2002:
> If I didn't use any time Monday to Friday, and then 9 hours on Saturday and 9 hours on Sunday which would give a total 18 hours in the Total column for this week.
> If I was then to use 3 hours on Monday for the Week commencing 26 Aug 2002 and no time for the remainder Tuesday to Sunday. Giving a total of 3 hours in the Total column for next week.
>
> I would still receive a email notification about using more hours for the fair usage limit for the current week because I used 21 hours over three days even though it is shown has seperate weeks on the View My Usage chart.
>
> Thanks
>
>

N/A

> Thanks for this posting. I have followed the recent threads on this and just could not understand them. Yep, I'm thick.
> This post puts the question clearly. I now wait for an equally clear answer.

Been there, done that, still awaiting the T-shirt from +Net... lol

Recently I have finally understood how the fair usage works, and it's not really that different from when it changed (in July I think).

What doesn't help is the mentioning of a "7 day rolling period", this wording confused the issue and shouldn't of been mentioned.

The short version which explains the changes, is that the monitoring week doesn't run from Sun - Mon (or whatever) it runs according to when your account was created. So if your account started it's life on a Wednesday, then that's your starting day. If you get a warning, then the start day for your monitoring changes to the day of the warning.

It's not vastly different from how it used to work, and it now stops people abusing their usage quota.

So bascially, you could use the whole 20 hrs on the last day of "your week" and then 20 hrs on the next day (your next week) and not receive a warning. (assuming you don't dial for the rest of that week etc)

Hope that helps explain it all for you... If not I'm sure Mark Hague will chip in Cheesy

Regards,

Dave W
N/A

Great, sooooooo
If my week used to start, say, on a Sunday but I have been a naughty boy and go over the top on Wednesday, will my useage chart move to start the calculations from Wednesday? or do I have to manually add up the useage from Wednesday to Saturday on one week and Sunday to Tuesday on the next to see if my usage is again over the top? Then of course I would have to remember to do this every week!!!!!
I can see why the system had to be changed as it was quite clearly open to abuse but if +net are going to give useage charts then they should be helpful.

> Been there, done that, still awaiting the T-shirt from +Net... lol
>
> Recently I have finally understood how the fair usage works, and it's not really that different from when it changed (in July I think).
>
> What doesn't help is the mentioning of a "7 day rolling period", this wording confused the issue and shouldn't of been mentioned.
>
> The short version which explains the changes, is that the monitoring week doesn't run from Sun - Mon (or whatever) it runs according to when your account was created. So if your account started it's life on a Wednesday, then that's your starting day. If you get a warning, then the start day for your monitoring changes to the day of the warning.
>
> It's not vastly different from how it used to work, and it now stops people abusing their usage quota.
>
> So bascially, you could use the whole 20 hrs on the last day of "your week" and then 20 hrs on the next day (your next week) and not receive a warning. (assuming you don't dial for the rest of that week etc)
>
> Hope that helps explain it all for you... If not I'm sure Mark Hague will chip in Cheesy
>
> Regards,
>
> Dave W

N/A

> So bascially, you could use the whole 20 hrs on the last day of "your week" and then 20 hrs on the next day (your next week) and not receive a warning. (assuming you don't dial for the rest of that week etc)

Good Afternoon,

The above is not correct.

The monitoring is done by adding up your usage for the last 6 days plus "today", if this exceeds your fair use hours then you will receive a warning.

In the example above you would receive a warning for using 40 hours in the last 7 days.

Let me know if you are still unsure and I'll try to explain better with examples.

Kind Regards

Duncan
--
| Duncan Scotland....................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support.........................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd................@ http://www.plus.net
+ ------- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ---------
N/A

> Good Afternoon,
>
> The above is not correct.
>

Oh flipin great !!!

Please don't take this the wrong way, but can you explain why Mark Hague said I explained this correctly in the past (the huge thread with 70 posts)

If he shouldn't of agreed with what I said, then all the PlusNet staff need to be told which "version" is correct and stick to it. I'm now confused again !

Dave W
N/A

So what is the offical line from +net?

Surley the week should run Monday to Sunday, i dont see how this could be abused.

The rolling week makes it much more complicated to keep track of your hours used in a week!

> > Good Afternoon,
> >
> > The above is not correct.
> >
>
>
> Oh flipin great !!!
>
> Please don't take this the wrong way, but can you explain why Mark Hague said I explained this correctly in the past (the huge thread with 70 posts)
>
> If he shouldn't of agreed with what I said, then all the PlusNet staff need to be told which "version" is correct and stick to it. I'm now confused again !
>
> Dave W

--
Turtel
PHP because ASP is for WEANIES
http://www.turtels.cjb.net
N/A

> > Oh flipin great !!!
> >
> > Please don't take this the wrong way, but can you explain why Mark Hague said I explained this correctly in the past (the huge thread with 70 posts)
> >
> > If he shouldn't of agreed with what I said, then all the PlusNet staff need to be told which "version" is correct and stick to it. I'm now confused again !

I'm fairly certain that Mark is correct. Regardless, we've already had one 70 post discussion about this, so can support please get their act together and stop giving totally different answers each time this is posted.

The week begins for most people on a Thursday (the day this system was introduced) I think, unless you signed up in the last few months, in which case it starts on the day you signed up. If you got over the usage it starts again from that day.

At least that's what we managed to work out from the last 70 post thread on this.

N/A

Hi all,

Sorry for the delay in replying to this thread, I have actually been off for
a couple of days!

Ok, I am confident that our conclusion reached in the last discussion about this (the 70+ thread), is indeed correct.

However, since there is still some misunderstanding regarding how the connect fair usage policy works, I will endeavour to put together a clear and definitive guide as to how the system works. This will not be immediate however as it will be carried out alongside my normal duties and will require discussion with various parties.

Please be patient and we will aim to resolve this once and for all!

Regards,
Mark.

--
| Mark Hague...................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support......................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd..........@ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----+
N/A

> Hi all,
>
> Ok, I am confident that our conclusion reached in the last discussion about this (the 70+ thread), is indeed correct.
>
> However, since there is still some misunderstanding regarding how the connect fair usage policy works, I will endeavour to put together a clear and definitive guide as to how the system works. This will not be immediate however as it will be carried out alongside my normal duties and will require discussion with various parties.

Thanks for that Mark. I couldn't believe it when Duncan said sorry that's wrong etc.

I think we will all appreciate what you said you will do for us. (Obviously as and when it happens). I'm sure you will agree it doesn't help matters when PlusNet CS Staff don't agree on the same rules/policy. It only confuses the heck out of your customers.

Hope this fairly simple problem is resolved soon.

Regards,

Dave W
N/A

Hi Dave,

> I think we will all appreciate what you said you will do for us. (Obviously as and when it happens). I'm sure you will agree it doesn't help matters when PlusNet CS Staff don't agree on the same rules/policy. It only confuses the heck out of your customers.

Agreed, leave this with me and I will do my best to get the matter clarified - both in ternally and externally!

Cheers,
Mark.

--
N/A

I now find the situation unacceptable.
I pay for a product and abide by the rules. The rules can change according to my agreement, and if I do not like the new rules I have the choice to leave. I have no problem with this.
However, when those that change the rules are unable to clearly explain these new rules and also maintain a consistent expination across all those who maintain the rules then, as the person who 'signs the cheque' I feel I have a right to complain.
I did not understand the new rules. It was explained by a customer, I understood the rules, this was confirmed by a representative of +net, this was contradicted by a representative of +net, the rules will be explained by a representative of +net when he has time!!!!!
As for the comment that it is hoped that this 'fairly simple problem' will soon be sorted. Clearly this is not 'simple' if it causes so much confusion.
Over to the customer support section I think to see if I have areasonable case for raising a ticket to explain.
Lets see, shall we start another thread about bandwidth useage?

> > Hi all,
> >
> > Ok, I am confident that our conclusion reached in the last discussion about this (the 70+ thread), is indeed correct.
> >
> > However, since there is still some misunderstanding regarding how the connect fair usage policy works, I will endeavour to put together a clear and definitive guide as to how the system works. This will not be immediate however as it will be carried out alongside my normal duties and will require discussion with various parties.
>
>
> Thanks for that Mark. I couldn't believe it when Duncan said sorry that's wrong etc.
>
> I think we will all appreciate what you said you will do for us. (Obviously as and when it happens). I'm sure you will agree it doesn't help matters when PlusNet CS Staff don't agree on the same rules/policy. It only confuses the heck out of your customers.
>
> Hope this fairly simple problem is resolved soon.
>
> Regards,
>
> Dave W

N/A

Hello Kevin,

>However, when those that change the rules are unable to clearly explain these new rules and also maintain a consistent expination across all those who maintain the rules then, as the person who 'signs the cheque' I feel I have a right to complain.
I did not understand the new rules. It was explained by a customer, I understood the rules, this was confirmed by a representative of +net, this was contradicted by a representative of +net, the rules will be explained by a representative of +net when he has time!!!!!

Ok, as previously stated, I honestly believe that the previous conclusion which you refer to still stands. As for explaining this when I have time, this is not what was meant by my statement. The situation has already been explained and covered extensively in another thread, though I do understand your concerns at a disagreement having arisen internally. I merely offered to put together a 'guide' which explains the situation exactly. I dare say this will only replicate the information in the aforementioned thread but will be thoroughly investigated once again before posting.

The reason this is going to take time is due to the fact that I will need to speak to several parties (as previously explained) and as we are at the beginning of a Bank Holiday weekend, this may not be possible immediately.

I will speak to Duncan when he comes on shift (later this afternoon) to establish if there are strong grounds for his contradiction of my understanding of the monitoring procedure and you will of course, be informed accordingly.

Your patience is appreciated.

Regards,
Mark.

--
N/A

Right, I get the point.
While we are at it, can you also include in the explination how I use the 'usage chart'. For instance, unless the chart start point is changed, on a week Mon-Sun in one week I used 8hrs 14min, but if I was reset on a Saturday, 7 days would account for 7 hrs 35.
As I very rarely go anywhere near my limit you could say that I have alot of patience in the matter.
I have to say, the longer that I am with +net I learn more about the setup. I feel customer support to be OK, but whenever I change something on my account, for instance when I went from an unpaid to paid, or activated cgi or set up a new mail box, the automatics or whatever did not go smoothly and cs had to be involved. It is my nature to always suspect my own actions when something does not work and thus have spent a lot of time in the past trying to get something to work only to find at the end of the day it is an incorrect setup at +net's end. But that should be another thread.

> Ok, as previously stated, I honestly believe that the previous conclusion which you refer to still stands. As for explaining this when I have time, this is not what was meant by my statement. The situation has already been explained and covered extensively in another thread, though I do understand your concerns at a disagreement having arisen internally. I merely offered to put together a 'guide' which explains the situation exactly. I dare say this will only replicate the information in the aforementioned thread but will be thoroughly investigated once again before posting.
>
> The reason this is going to take time is due to the fact that I will need to speak to several parties (as previously explained) and as we are at the beginning of a Bank Holiday weekend, this may not be possible immediately.
>
> I will speak to Duncan when he comes on shift (later this afternoon) to establish if there are strong grounds for his contradiction of my understanding of the monitoring procedure and you will of course, be informed accordingly.
>
> Your patience is appreciated.
>
> Regards,
> Mark.
>
> --
> | Mark Hague...................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
> | Technical Support......................for Home & Business
> | PlusNet Technologies Ltd..........@ http://www.plus.net
> + ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----+
>

steed
Grafter

I am totally confused now!

I joined PlusNet on Thursday 15 November 2001.

So my week starts on a Thursday and ends on a Wednesday.

I got a warning on 14 July 2002 stating I used 20.5 hours up to 2002/07/14, over a 7 day period.
Which was fair enough because I knew I had gone over that particular week. But the 'Total' column also read 20.5 hours for the week commencing 8 Jul (Mon-Sun).

Therefore according to the above posts my 'new' week now starts on a Sunday and ends on a Friday.

HOWEVER, I got another email last week stating I used 21.1 hours up to 2002/08/21, over a 7 day period. This mean my week (7 day period) run from Wednesday to Tuesday.

It must therefore be monitored on a rolling 7 day period ? and hence will be even harder to track.

Why can't PlusNet use Monday to Sunday like in the 'View My Usage' chart ?

P.S. Does 'up to' 2002/08/21 include the 21st?