cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fair Usage Policy - UPDATE

Ben_Brown
Grafter

During the roll out of the new VMU pages early this morning, we encountered a problem with the way the VMU tool is displaying usage data.

Until we have resolved this problem, we have chosen to delay Fair Usage.

To minimise inconvenience, necessary changes are usually made overnight, so we will not be introducing the new VMU or Fair Usage today.

We will keep you posted with more information as soon as it becomes available.
23 REPLIES
N/A

So this mean we don't have a cap(FUP) yet?!? and the fair useage still ain't happen yet.?
N/A

Joe thats what Ben said Smiley
ceridwen
Grafter

Sounds like it.

Shall we start taking bets as to whether the FUP will happen before the speed upgrades are completed?

Matthew
N/A

0/1 it will lmao
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Just to clarify our earlier announcement.

The problem was caused by an issue with the roll-out process.
N/A

The problem was caused by an issue with the roll-out process.

That's pretty poor. I'd have hoped you would have a test machine to roll out beforehand. It's not like you haven't had plenty of time to get this sorted.

I'd expect someone to get a rollocking for this.
LiamM
Grafter

Unfortunately, when it's a system such as this, the real test is in it's live environment.

To quote Graeme Fraser in this thread :
The situation is unfortunate, but sh*t sometimes happens when you move as fast as Plusnet development does. The project to refresh VMU was subject to stringent QA and testing as always, but the real test is always the live environment, with a hundred-thousand users worth of data. To test all possible data-sets before rollout is impossible. Some compromise has to be reached to allow us to deliver as fast as the industry and our customers demand. You as customers have felt the benefit of this reactive delivery and of Plusnet developers' dedication and comittment to their roles many times in the past.
I think it is often underestimated by customers what is required to make changes to complex systems in a relatively short space of time. It doesn't always go 100% to plan, but the measures taken in live testing during rollout caught the issues in this case. That to me is reasurance of the control systems that are in place in our development department and of the dedication, thouroughness and skill of our testing team.
I assure you my colleagues are working their socks off, as always, on the issue. Constructive criticism is always welcome, and we've always felt proud that our customers care enought to get involved in these forums, but a little more patience and a little less insulting opinion is appreciated from time to time. There are no "bungling amateurs" at Plusnet. I look around and I see talent, vision and plain hard work in abundance, and 101% commitment to you and to the company.

Thanks for your time,
Graeme Fraser
Core Systems Developer
Community Veteran

Im sure it will prove to be just a hitch and FUP will be here way before the speed upgrades are completed - I doubt the chaps with the calculators would allow thousands of users to benefit from faster speeds and more downloads before the FUP is introdued...

Cor Blimey - that post really hammers home the point of being market leaders and bringing new developments to their services faster than other competitors - customers feeling the true benefit of their quick reactions and the reactive nature of their developers...

Perhaps the "dedication, thouroughness and skill of the testing team" can be rubbed off on those responsible for delaying the speed upgrades until months after their competitors did. :roll:
N/A

Any ETA?

By the way, you might want to make this a sticky.
N/A

That's pretty poor. I'd have hoped you would have a test machine to roll out beforehand. It's not like you haven't had plenty of time to get this sorted.

You've obviously never worked in an environment where you were making big changes to compliated systems then.

However much testing you do things can always go wrong. Test systems can never be a fully comprehensive replica of a live system. It is totally impossible to prove that something works through testing.

All you can do is test as many scenarios as possible and ensure you have a proper plan for if it doesn't work. Plusnet have obviously quickly identified that the rollout didn't work, taken short term steps to minimise the effect customers, are working to fix it and are keeping customers informed. What more do you want?

[Moderator's note by Liam Martin (martinfamily): Fixed BBCode for you]
Community Veteran

The backup or backout strategy seems to have been implimented in an excellent fashion.

Having worked in a massive IT company, and been involved in rollouts of very large changes indeed - I understand how long these things take. Planing the way forward is just as important as plannig what to do if it goes wrong!

Look like the "backout strategy" which is what it used to be called where I was, worked flawlessley.

Well done in ensuring the system didn't dissapear altogether - which is potentially what could have happend I suppose, if the backout plan hadnt worked either.
N/A

You've obviously never worked in an environment where you were making big changes to compliated systems then.

I'd say you "obviously" never worked in an environment where things going wrong would result in worse things happening than users whinging for a day or so.

Do you think the average Application Support Manager at BNfL has your attitude towards testing?
However much testing you do things can always go wrong. Test systems can never be a fully comprehensive replica of a live system. It is totally impossible to prove that something works through testing.

Nonsense. You could reproduce all of the data onto the test system and test. You could then place the file on the live server but under a different URL and run simulations of a number of users accessing simultaneously

Yes, you could come across a problem after that but it'd be unlikely to be the sort of showstopper they're talking about here.
N/A

Do you think the average Application Support Manager at BNfL has your attitude towards testing?

I hope they do! I hope they recognise the limitations of testing and prove that their safety critical systems work.

The 30 page test plan (for a relatively simple system) I have on my desk would tend to suggest I have a better attitude to testing than you might think.
N/A

The 30 page test plan (for a relatively simple system) I have on my desk would tend to suggest I have a better attitude to testing than you might think.

That's kind of my point: I have no idea about your background and you have none about mine. I have enough experience rolling out changes to websites for thousands of users to know that it's possible to run enough tests to be able to spot the kind of error which has taken place here.

I'm not suggesting that anyone should be fired or that it's not something I have never done (I have!) but I would have expected to get a good dressing down from my boss afterwards.

A bit offtopic... worst mistake I ever made, just out of university in my first real admin job, doing a quick update to the user database on the live box "because it's only a tiny change" (hah) and forgetting the WHERE clause. 25,000 users suddenly renamed as "testy test".... not my best day Smiley