cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FUP is back as SUP, did I miss an official announcment?

N/A

[removed by author]
45 REPLIES
Stuart

Cue for a HHGTG moment... Apologies to Mr Adams' estate for blatant plagurism.

"But Mr Force9 Customer, the plans have been available in the local planning office for the last nine months."

"Oh yes, well as soon as I heard I went straight round to see them, yesterday afternoon. You hadn't exactly gone out of your way to call attention to them had you? I mean like actually telling anybody or anything."

"But the plans were on display ..."

"On display? I eventually had to go down to the cellar to find them."

"That's the display department."

"With a torch."

"Ah, well the lights had probably gone."

"So had the stairs."

"But look, you found the notice didn't you?"

"Yes," said the Force9 Customer, "yes I did. It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying Beware of the Leopard."
N/A

hahahahaaaaaaaaaaaa well said :lol:
N/A

Re: FUP is back as SUP, did I miss an official announcment?

Or are we now operating on a "if they don't know, they won't complain" attitude?

You got it.... This pretty much sums up the new FUP or SUP

When FUP was withdrawn it was basically implied we could go back to normal with our theoretically unlimited service and that only the most heavy 0.1% of users would be individually contacted with warnings.... end of story, those of us who were not the heavy users would not be told anything more. They basically drove the process underground so that most ordinary users didn't need to think or worry about it.

It wasn't until much later (because of the constant questions on this forum) that they revealed what the new thresholds were (exceeding of which would make you a heavy user worthy of a strict warning). This information was only ever word of mouth, nothing was published. The idea was to allow people to use the service in a psudo-unlimited way so we wouldn't feel strangled by capped limits, but then discreetly take you to one side and slap your wrists if you become a heavy user.

They have since published the limits; slipped it in somewhere buried in the FAQ or somewhere, I can't remember, but like you spotted, it's never actually been announced via service updates. (other than drawing attention to the new T&C's which don't contain the SUP limits).
N/A

FUP back to SUP Ivan

Hi,

I have to completely agree with comments other people have made on this issue, I have been with F9 for several years now. Yes! I agree that the previous FUP (thats fair useage policy) which did indeed seem fair was scrapped by F9 in favour of what we were told was a network managed soley by a contention (i.e. that of BT & F9). Now I have to agree we have come full circle to a SUP (sustainable Useage Policy, or should that be sensible useage policy?).

**IMO conclusion has to be that F9 cannot for whatever reasons offer customers an uncapped and unlimited service. In other words 1) Bandwidth is a finite resource 2) a limited number of users abuse that limited resource which then has a negative impact on the majority of users so some form of control has to be put in place to limit the abuse. 3) its quite clear that whilst users have to be more responsible for the own useage patterns, however a soft cap on the service has been introduced.

**Seems like there are only a limited number of ways to skin this particular cat as it where.

Ivan
JonathanW
Grafter

Hi,

Firstly, with regards to the SUP figures being made public, it was felt that this should be done in order to advise customers what the usage levels were. This isn't any kind of cap, as people who exceed their usage level are still able to connect to the internet and make use of that connection, though depending on what their usage has been like this might be a more managed connection.

There are several reasons behind the SUP being used at all, and are best outlined in This Post made by Dave.

It wasn't announced in the same way as FUP originally was due to the fact that it does only affect a small number of customers, and they are the people who would be sent an advisory email should their usage be on the heavy side.
N/A

[removed by author]
N/A

Management speak?

Hello,

I have to agree that when you run a business you cannot just change the rules of your business practise to suit your own needs without consideration for how customers or clients might be affected. And if you change the rules without telling customers then dont be suprised if that upsets or angers users.

Techie people are notoriously aweful at not being able or willing to communicate well with others, I knows its a terrible cliche but its one I've seen and experienced countless times in real life. And I have a feeling that F9 fall foul of this themselves numerous times.

I sometimes have a destinct feeling that who ever manages Force9 has their focus in utterly the wrong place? (more on spreadsheets & accounting packages & fancy management reports than ever really getting out from behined those large office tables & leather bound chairs and actually talking with REAL customers?? Sadly, listening to real customers seems to be a dying art these days.

Ivan
N/A

Re: Management speak?

and actually talking with REAL customers?? Sadly, listening real customers seems to be a dying art.
Ivan

Hi,

If business stop listening to there customers, the business is going to fail, cause they will not know what the customer wants, hence not beening able to sell anything to them. I known fact in runing a business, of any type.

I hope f9 dont go down this road, or have learnt some lessons from the past few months, cause if they haven't then with a year, you could say goodbye to F9/Plusnet
N/A

I do understand and accept the reasons for the SUP, the thing that I find really dissapointing is that it's far more strict than the original FUP (which didn't really have any significant limit on 'off peak' usage)

Although I never exceed the limits, (I'd say I'm a medium user) all these recent shennanigans has made me realise that I should consider my relationship with f9 as transitory (whereas previously I would have been happy to stay a customer for life).... I have no intention of leaving at the moment, but this is "disaster planning" ahead of the event by not doing anything that is only linked to f9 (like email and web addresses). I'm setting myself up so that if I do decide to leave in the future then I won't face having to change my addresses.
N/A

This isn't any kind of cap, as people who exceed their usage level are still able to connect to the internet and make use of that connection,

In this case, I think first time offenders should be contacted by email to warn them of their excessive usage and be given one or two months to comply, only if they fail to comply should their service be restricted.... I think it's totally wrong to impose immediate restrictions on a first time offence when most people don't even realise it is an offence in the first place!
ukbrown
Grafter

Do f9 staff know what is happening ?

First time warning, capped immedialtely.

This is what is happenning. Reading some of the posts it looks like the staff are in la la lanf and think you get a warning e-mail. This is what they say should happen. Practice is different to theory
Ben_Brown
Grafter

I think it's totally wrong to impose immediate restrictions on a first time offence when most people don't even realise it is an offence in the first place!

If it is a first time offence they can raise a ticket and have the restrictions removed asap.
N/A

I think it's totally wrong to impose immediate restrictions on a first time offence when most people don't even realise it is an offence in the first place!

If it is a first time offence they can raise a ticket and have the restrictions removed asap.

That's irrelevant, more important is your customers being made to feel like criminals when they are unaware they are breaking your laws.

If there was a proper announcement and big front page headlines like there was with the FUP then that's different, but with no announcement it's disgusting that the first time someone is made aware of the SUP is when they have to raise a ticket to get themselves out of trouble. Guilty until proven innocent is f9's attitude.
ukbrown
Grafter

I don't appear to have recieved an advisory e-mail, just one tellng me my account is being capped.

t wasn't announced in the same way as FUP originally was due to the fact that it does only affect a small number of customers, and they are the people who would be sent an advisory email should their usage be on the heavy side.

Jon Whiting
F9 Customer Support