cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[FUP] ... and fax2email

N/A

[FUP] ... and fax2email

Sure - the +Net cap probably won't affect me, but a deal is a deal, and I do feel
messed around by +Net. Today, it got worse!

Apparantly, because I didn't use my fax-2-email service for 3 months, they
have discontinued my fax number. When did they tell me thisHuh? - AFTER they
disconnected the number!

WHY did they tell me NOW!!! If they had told me yesterday it would have been
useful, as I could have sent a fax through to wake it up!

So, they say that to keep my number, I have to move to a +Net business
tariff, except the number I get to keep won't be my original one, it will be
a new one.

Which tariff do you now want, sir? Which ISP, more like!

- Mike

PS I guess the ISPA awards say it all **cough**

PPS Now for the FUP stuff!!

Is it true that ibc01 has been banned from this forum? I saw a post of his on uk.telecom.broadband which suggests so, and if this is true, has anyone pro-FUP been banned for balance, or was he having a flame war all by himself??
news:ibc01.1l6gt4@news.broadbandbanter.com

To anyone tempted to follow the link. The link is to his post on an unmoderated & uncensored forum. I believe his post meets all the policies of this forum, but I'm not taking chances, so I'm only giving you a link to his words. To click or not to click - it's your choice!
51 REPLIES
N/A

[FUP] ... and fax2email

Yes it is true, to answer your Q, he is banned.(and I havnt seen pr100 lately)
Im not ganna say 2 much here cos I feel im next on the hit list if I say 1 word out of place.
(it doesnt pay to complain)

But from the problem that you have reported....

nothing suprises me..
channel
Grafter

[FUP] ... and fax2email

Yes, he (ibc) has been banned from his own ISP's forum. I am assuming it is okay to speak about this given that the previous post has not been moderated.

You can see some commentary on his departure in the "important notice" thread. Ironically, the last person to see him leave was pr100, who also appears to have vanished into thin air.
Community Veteran

[FUP] ... and fax2email

I think I probably sailed close to the wind myself - and I'm relatively new here.

However with regard to your original issue - I would have thought it would be relatively simple ad inexpensive for plusnet to incorporate some sort of Automated "your fax number is about to be switched off" mail.

You would have thought that i people were using it for buisiness or at least saw a great benefit from this service, they would be using frequently enough for it not to become an issue.

It would be another nice addition for PN though - at least for customers in your situation, you dont use it regularly, but like it.

Removing the fax service from your account probably saves PN money, and the addition of a nice customer service to warn you of its impending departure probably costs - so it looks like a Customer Service Vs. Profits Issue to me.

I have to say though the fax to email service is great when you need it - would it really cost that much to put it on everyones account by default? Im guessing it would be quite an expensive exerise..
N/A

-net

I received a similar E-mail ref: e-mail to fax
I’m in the same boat, Now i will have to get all my business cards reprinted

Why they couldn’t send a reminder or something telling us that the number would be taken away if we didn’t use it, this ISP has had the last of my money come April, I’m well Pi$$ed off with them now
More and more people are going back to BT, and now I feel I know why

Yes I had a Business account, and moved to the cheaper Premier account
I was offered a fax to e-mail service I did not know there was a don’t use and you lose clause, if Id known I could of set up a monthly fax to myself, Its now going to cost me money Sad
Community Veteran

[FUP] ... and fax2email

Just to set the record straight, pr100 has NOT been banned from the forums.

2 people have been banned, one of which was someone who complained about the posts made by certain anti FUP posts, although he didnt specifically state he was for or againt the FUP.
Both will be readmitted 1 month after thier ban and a permenant ban will only be enforced should they break the forum rules again.

Chris
Community Veteran

[FUP] ... and fax2email

The main reason PlusNet don't send a reminder beforehand is people will just send themselves a fax and defeat the real object of the exercise, that is to identify fax numbers that are clearly not being used so they can be reallocated to other people. There is a cost involved to PlusNet to have the numbers so it is in PlusNets own interest that the numbers are actually used so they pay for themselves.

The PlusNet Usergroup have suggested a £1/month option should be offered (like the domains) to enable you to keep a fax number on a home account. An idea has been raised for this but when or even if it will be implemented is unknown. See the closed item section here.
N/A

[FUP] ... and fax2email

I did not know there was a don’t use and you lose clause, if Id known I could of set up a monthly fax to myself, Its now going to cost me money

on the bottom of the "signup" page
Please note:

* Fax-2-Email is subject to reset should it remain unused for 3 months

* If you deactivate your Fax-2-Email number, it will be to reallocated to another user. If you then reactivate your Fax-2-Email service, you will be allocated a new number.
and its been there for a long long time, cos i knew about it.
if you havent used it for 3 months, then do you actually need it? thats the question. I believe pn pay for a block of x numbers. If they all get used, then they have to buy another block of x numbers, hence costing money. If everyone set an account up by default, as i and im sure many did when they saw it, then they would soon have to buy a load more blocks, and would have to pass this cost on to their subscriptions. I dont want to pay for something you setup and dont use (3 months is a long time indeed)

WHY did they tell me NOW!!! If they had told me yesterday it would have been useful, as I could have sent a fax through to wake it up!
exactly - this is to stop people doing just that - if you havent used it for 3 months, you dont need it, so why waste my money on having it active?

has anyone pro-FUP been banned for balance, or was he having a flame war all by himself?Huh
I believe he was banned for trolling and flaming, and yes, it was by himself - read around, every post was attacked with his anti-pn propoganda and whinging, even those completely unrelated - nothing to do with being anti-pn, had he been spouting pro-pn stuff absolutely everywhere, using the same abuse nature, he would im sure have been banned.

Moderator's note by Chris (fa55dsl): Quote fixed.
N/A

[FUP] ... and fax2email

"and its been there for a long long time, cos i knew about it. "

Yes, PlusNet sent everyone an e-mail about it ages ago - see this post from July 2003:
http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9243
N/A

[FUP] ... and fax2email

I was on a business account in 2003, so I was unaffected by this, and never recived any e-mail
still going to cost me money Sad
Community Veteran

[FUP] ... and fax2email

But if you use your account for business purposes you shouldnt be on a residential account anyway. Smiley

Chris
Community Veteran

[FUP] ... and fax2email

Errr - the fax to email numbers are 0870 numbers, which mean they actually generate revenue for the owner of the number.

There are many companies willing to provie you with your own 0870 number for free - and provide you with money fo the incoming call. (check the net)

However you can earn more commission on 0870 numbers if they are used more - hence why the revenue from these numbers to PN will be less if the number is fixed to one person that rarely receives faxes.

If PN whore out the same number to multiple people, then the usage for a particular number will be greater - therefor increasing the revenue for a particular number. Its simple business, but a bit of a pain for customers who are low usage on Fax 2 Email.

On the note of charging for the service - I would be loathed to pay £1 a month for a service that presumably makes PN money on the calls anyway!

On a personal view, I would expect that anyone who really needs a fax number will be using it more than once every three months anyway. There will however always be the exception of people, for whatever reason, that dont use it for a three month period (as above setting up a small home business, and printing business cards etc.)

Taking into account all the above, the "you can't please all the people all the time" comes into play I think.

There are sites out there that let you have a fax-2-email service for free without such minimum usage restrictions, they make their money from any calls to those numbers. If low usage fax-2-email users are miffed about the PN method - then you could check out what else is available on the net.
Community Veteran

[FUP] ... and fax2email

Part of the problem is it costs PlusNet a fair bit to puchase a block of numbers together with the overheads on running the service for X amount of mainly unused numbers, at least that was my understanding from the usergroup discusions last year.
N/A

[FUP] ... and fax2email

I too was a bit surprised to suddenly find my F2E suddenly disconnected!

Wasn't a problem for me as the fax number I have on my business cards is the fax number associated with my mobile phone (I think all contract phones have this, but you may need to get your provider to enable it). Then I have an "all calls" divert on my mobile to my PlusNet F2E number so it doesn't matter if PN change the number, or even if I want to change provide.

Works fine (although some people get confused with a fax number that starts 07XXX XXXXXX). Obviously I end up paying for the 0870 call, but these days faxes are so infrequent...

regards,
Andrew
Ianwild
Grafter

[FUP] ... and fax2email

Just to clear one thing up, you can upgrade to a business account here and retain the old number. Was this not made clear to you on the phone?

Regards,

Ian