cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTP speed is ridiculous

Azagoth
Grafter

FTP speed is ridiculous

I'm trying to download the v1.08 patch for FEAR which is 300MB. However the speed over Sierras' FTP servers is topping out at 12K. I tried it from another few sources, all FTP, and the same thing happened, it topped out at 12K. What's going on, is FTP being 'managed' now?

It's going to take ages to download the patch, I'm on 8MB and quite frankly that speed is ludicrous.
6 REPLIES
Firejack
Grafter

FTP speed is ridiculous

As I understand it; FTP is Gold Priority for PAYG, Silver for Premier and Bronze for Plus. If you are on Plus you can simply forget downloading on FTP (apart from a short period between around 3am and 9am).
This means FTP is bottom of the list if you are Plus user when it comes to getting your share of the overall network capacity to download the file. Premier means you have a little more of a share but not much and PAYG giving you a larger share that is probably as near to full speed as you are going to get with a network as heavy managed as Plus.net.
N/A

FTP speed is ridiculous

AUTH SSL/ TSL ftpd's run at full speed *shrug* guess you could set one up out side PN and ftp to that then from that in?
N/A

FTP speed is ridiculous

or tunnel it via an SSH connection, or an http proxy or mangle the packets, or drop it down a VPN or... <list is large>
N/A

FTP speed is ridiculous

...and all just to get FTP via PN... lol
James
Grafter

FTP speed is ridiculous

As mentoned previously, we are aware of FTP Speed issues, which I well be chasing throughout today.

In order to get it out on time, I may need to put out a generic update to the current SS.
N/A

FTP speed is ridiculous

I'm locking this in favour of the long-running thread re FTP performance being somewhere between shockingly bad and something much worse than shockingly bad.

You can find the thread in question here