cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTP performance...

N/A

FTP performance...

Seeing as I am at uni most of the time (hooza!) I have not really noticed the awful speeds of FTP transfers to my home PC. However at the moment, I am getting a great 30kb/s (or just below / over). Now I thought this was capped at a sustainable rate due to the hardware plusnet use, however as the grand total of the usage this month from this line is under 2gig (wow isnt that amazing) what is going on?

Notes :

account is 2mbit home premier
speeds other than FTP are fine (so its just the ftp transfer)
traceroutes to the server are fine / http downloads from the server are fine

thus it must be the capping of the FTP protocol. Why is it so bad? what happend to 233kb/s (ish) that I used to get (Before hoping onto a 100/10 mbit line at uni)

I suspect after midnight it will jump stright back to that kind of speed -- but why can it not be that speed now?
6 REPLIES
N/A

FTP performance...

buzzons

i know the feeling pal, and i know the speeds are terrible on ftp at the moment.

routing from uk to us is very bad at times, im sure its the way they manage traffic so web browings is slowed down
N/A

FTP performance...

Hi

I think PN has to many customers and they cant provide enough bandwidth to meet their customers needs.
N/A

FTP performance...

There is always ftp2.plus.net, when one is slow or unresponsive I use the other.
N/A

FTP performance...

I don't think the OP was talking about FTP'ing into their PlusNet webspace, but wider problems with all FTP traffic.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

FTP performance...

Just for comparison I have just tried a download from the Kaspersky ftp beta site and am getting better than 120kb/s which is not bad for a 1MB line.
Shows the benefit of PAYG. Smiley
N/A

FTP performance...

humm... great , no post from PN about the issue.. good good