cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTP on BB+...?

N/A

FTP on BB+...?

Will the recent changes to the traffic management affect the speed at which I can upload data to and from my Plusnet webspace?

I share a lot of digital photos via the webspace, so am sending 20-30MB at a time - will I still get full upload speeds, or will it be restricted?

I'm using BB+ and I don't normally go above 2-3GB a month (mostly http traffic).

I can understand restricting the speeds to external FTP sites, but if it's going to affect my Plusnet webspace that's going to be a big problem for me Sad

Thanks loads,

R. Stanton
Cambridge, UK
13 REPLIES
Ben_Brown
Grafter

FTP on BB+...?

The changes shouldn't affect the connection between you and your PlusNet webspace as far as I am aware.
N/A

FTP on BB+...?

The changes shouldn't affect the connection between you and your PlusNet webspace as far as I am aware.

Thanks Ben, I appreciate the reply!
LiamM
Grafter

FTP on BB+...?

So only external FTP is restricted?
kitz
Rising Star

FTP on BB+...?

>> So only external FTP is restricted?

FTP to homepages.plus.net arent restricted.

*or so weve been told.
Community Veteran

FTP on BB+...?

what about ccgi after the limit is used on premier?
kitz
Rising Star

FTP on BB+...?

good point..

can one of the PN guys check that cshell.plus.net is in the permanent gold queue please?
N/A

FTP on BB+...?

>> So only external FTP is restricted?

FTP to homepages.plus.net arent restricted.

*or so weve been told.

I am able to upload at 30KB/s, but the download speed also tops out at 30KB/s, and seems to hover between 15-20KB/s... :?

I'm sure it's been faster than that?
kitz
Rising Star

FTP on BB+...?

Hmmm... a restriction on the serverHuh
Im on 2Mb Premier and Im just testing a file.

Its coming down via ftp at a steady 67 kB/sec.

Same file via http is coming down at 241 kB/Sec

I shouldnt be throttled as Im well within SUP and download limits.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

FTP on BB+...?

It seems that it may be being managed at the moment. I'm trying to get some clarification on this right now.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

FTP on BB+...?

Ok, this shouldn't be happening but it seems that it is, we're looking into this now to see if it can be improved.
kitz
Rising Star

FTP on BB+...?

Thanks Ben..

Just so you know external ftp is fine..
just ftped to netscape.com.. its a bit up and down.. but for a transatlantic connection an average of around 180 kB/sec aint too bad.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

FTP on BB+...?

FTP should be fine for everything until the FTP/P2P/USENET allowance has been used up. After that it should slow down for external servers but stay the same for our FTP servers (CGI and Homepages).
rammie1976
Grafter

FTP on BB+...?

Are you now saying there's a cap on BB+ for certain types of useage or are you saying that certain types of useage will always be throttled on BB+Huh

This is typical +net, you stop reading the forum for a couple of weeks and when you come back they're making changes to the product you subscribed to!!!

I noticed somewhere else (the other ftp/BB+ thread) +net folk have started referring to BB+ as for 'light users' - is that the next change, a d/l limit (after ftp)Huh