cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTP has got worse every day for a week, How can this happen?

suec45
Grafter

Broadband Premier (The name is now Sarcastic I think) :-

Monday-Tuesday Ftp speeds were 20k-ish.

Wednesday - they drop to 17k

Thursday - down to 10k

Friday - I used an ftp on a very strange port and it was downloading at full speed, I thought it was fixed!!!
(I even posted a thankyou for fixing it, post, I spoke too soon)

Saturday - I go back to Ftp's on the usual ports like 20-21 etc and now speeds are at 2.5k and thats if they dont time out before getting the list!!!

How can it take so long to fix this and manage to make it even worse day by day?!?

To top it off, I raised a ticket about this just incase it was a problem with my profile and it hasnt had one answer for 3 days!!

I am not too bothered about the ticket, as long as you fix this damn problem guys!! I mean COME ON.
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 6

Don't you get it? - They don't want you/us using file transfers of any kind.

They think that we all want to use 8MB broadband for simply transferring http web pages only.

You see they like to think that we don't actually like to transfer real files of any kind. They prefer to dedicate bandwidth to VoIP - Which accorinding to the latest stats isn't as popular as first thought - in other words, few people use it, but PN have a good excuse to restrict our file transfers.

They've got no intention of fixing anything. They've already done their fixing - Fixed to throttle everything that isn't http. Thats PN's version of fixing.

I put this to one of their reps today on the phone - who told me to open a ticket and then hung up on me.

PN don't want us using file transfers. This is not an accident that the speeds have dropped dramatically. This is being done with full intention to limit us.

BTInternet did this many years ago and continued to claim that it wasn't their fault. BBC watchdog then got involved and exposed them for everything. This is exactly what PN are doing. I can honestly say that after having been with BT and suffering the symptoms of a restrictive ISP, I can tell you whole heartedly that PN are doing the exact same thing. This is 8MB BROADBAND and I get speeds worse than dial-up. 300bytes per second if I'm lucky is 1/6th of the 3k I'd get using dial-up access.

You think thats an accident? - No. This is being done intentionally and knowingly. PN have no intention of lifting these speeds.

I'm going to create a nice little PR stunt for them soon and they certainly won't like it one little bit.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

They prefer to dedicate bandwidth to VoIP

You obviously haven't got your finger on the pulse as far as I can see!
The last I heard they had restricted VOIP to 128KB/s.

As for the rest of your post.......... I personaly think you are letting your emotions get the better of you!
Just my opinion.

I'm not sure why you are having such a bad time of it, but I honestly hope a fault can be found and fixed for you.
Community Veteran

They prefer to dedicate bandwidth to VoIP

You obviously haven't got your finger on the pulse as far as I can see!
The last I heard they had restricted VOIP to 128KB/s.

As for the rest of your post.......... I personaly think you are letting your emotions get the better of you!
Just my opinion.

I'm not sure why you are having such a bad time of it, but I honestly hope a fault can be found and fixed for you.

a) I don't use VoIP so I couldn't comment. I wouldn't even want to try it on PN as I might upset their tech guys and leave them in tears.

b) Emotional eh? - How would you feel paying for 8MB broadband and getting worse than dial-up speeds? - Wouldn't you feel a bit fucking pissed off?

Try reading the other shit on this forum. Everyone is complaining about the same shit going down with PN - The slow speeds, appalling service and the general shitty "who cares" bollocks.
N/A

my 10p

okrzynska - there is no questioning there are problems on the network ..

I am now paying (yes paying someone $100 this morning) to move files I need onto HTTP links ... crazy old world !

By definition HTTP and FTP are both gold traffic - but http i see 400-600kbs - FTP 0

However as frustrated as I am - I know it is due to a problem rather than a conspiracy theory ! Carl and Ian are both in regular contact with me trying to sort it out ..

Yes get frustated --- Yes feel free to swear -- but hey a bit of a reality check is in order here -- There are struggling to find the cause ...

Support those trying to help you rather than getting their backs up !
Community Veteran

/me thought FTP was bronze
N/A

when you're out of capacity, you're out of capacity. all they can do is make something else slower to get other things faster.
Community Veteran

Re: my 10p

okrzynska - there is no questioning there are problems on the network ..

I am now paying (yes paying someone $100 this morning) to move files I need onto HTTP links ... crazy old world !

By definition HTTP and FTP are both gold traffic - but http i see 400-600kbs - FTP 0

However as frustrated as I am - I know it is due to a problem rather than a conspiracy theory ! Carl and Ian are both in regular contact with me trying to sort it out ..

Yes get frustated --- Yes feel free to swear -- but hey a bit of a reality check is in order here -- There are struggling to find the cause ...

Support those trying to help you rather than getting their backs up !

Look, I know you mean well and see the goodside to this ISP, but take a look at their reviews on dslzoneuk - You'll see what I mean. Spoke to someone on the phone yesterday about the throttling and he didn't even deny it - You really would think that they'd deny it if they were innocent.

I've used BT years ago and suffered all of this. Months later BBC Watchdog exposed them (and confidential memo's) which confirmed what everyone had been saying.

Beleive me now, this isn't an accident. This is being throttled the hell out of. Do you really think 8MB is slower than 56k dial-up by accident? No.

This is being done with the full intention of plusnet and whether you like to admit it or not, I think you know it's true.

All Ian and James ever tell us is "We're looking into it". If you read this forum for the last few months you'll see nothing but the same thing. Either they're using Tech staff that can only use kids VTech computers (in the toy section of the Argos catalogue), or they're not telling us the full truth. I can tell you it's the latter.

It doesn't matter how many times you beleive what they tell you, the plain and simple fact is that it's not going to get any better. This is being done with the full intent of plusnet and is not an accident. If it were accidental, don't you think they would of found the fault by now? - with all these months to investigate? - especially if they are fully trained and qualified IT network techs.
N/A

PR stunt.. funniest thing ive heard all day.. what is it?

Wink
N/A

okrzynska

I hear you ... and cerainly you are entitled to the opinion (and hey you might be right)

The reason I still think it is technical .. is because as of around 1 hour ago, i have full service again --- If i was intentionally throlled i would expect it to be 24/7, not so?

anyhow time will tell, I really hope it is technical because i am comfortable where i am .. I guess i hate change .. but aqt the end of the day im not scared of it
N/A

kyc: maybe you have got lucky and are on one of the screwy profiles that gives you the kind of performance you might actually expect? other users have received emails stating 'we are sorry, you have been incorrectly profiled, your internet will SLOW DOWN in the coming days when you are moved to the correct profile...'

there is no technical fault, they are knowingly and happily throttling the life out of all traffic, not just ftp, p2p etc. email is slow, browsing is slow, gaming is slow. it is absolutely a deliberate ploy. ultimately its only a few hundred users who whine on the message boards. there are thousands of poor souls bening completely ripped off and they dont even realise it - hence plusnet can continue to get away with it
N/A

ioloop said "other users have received emails stating 'we are sorry, you have been incorrectly profiled, your internet will SLOW DOWN in the coming days when you are moved to the correct profile...' "

FYI I am one of them ..
Community Veteran

okrzynska

I hear you ... and cerainly you are entitled to the opinion (and hey you might be right)

The reason I still think it is technical .. is because as of around 1 hour ago, i have full service again --- If i was intentionally throlled i would expect it to be 24/7, not so?

No. Remember computers and their server counterparts are programmable. That means that they can be programmed to do certain tasks (EG bandwidth adjustments) according to certain criteria (EG time of day).

This is the exact same stunt that BT pulled on myself and many thousands of other users about 5 years ago. I thought ISPs had stopped this game a long time ago but obviously plusnet have revived it.

It won't be long before they also get caught in the act - I've seen it happen with BT and I'll see it happen with plusnet... or BT (AGAIN) if the sale goes through.