cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTP and SMTP dying

N/A

FTP and SMTP dying

As you're all painfully aware, I am on Broadband Plus and my HTTP speeds are throttled to 64 kbps.

FTP and SMTP seem to be throttled by so much though, that they are practically not working at all. Emails larger than a few KB keep reporting 60 second timeouts from the SMTP server. FTP says "Attempting to connect...." then times out after 60 seconds too.

Now, I know you had a Vision (from God?) to slow this traffic down, but was it in your Vision to completely disable SMTP and FTP at certain thresholds?
32 REPLIES
N/A

FTP and SMTP dying

tbh SMTP seems awful on premier as well.. (as well as FTPs Wink) but meh, if they have thottled all your connectivity then i guess you can complain as it leaves most things usless...
N/A

FTP and SMTP dying

A reply from a CS rep would be nice.
N/A

FTP and SMTP dying

I'm getting a lot of web pages timing out lately and need to refresh them to make them load.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

FTP and SMTP dying

There's nothing we do which would affect SMTP delivery, as that has a high priority over our network, the same is the case for HTTP, although if your account is subject to additional management this will be slowed.

If a page isn't coming up at first but does after a reload, this can be caused by a DNS problem. What DNS servers have you got specified? you can use any of these:

Also, which sites are you having problems with.
N/A

FTP and SMTP dying

Ben, my traffic is being more than slowed. I'm continuously seeing broken connections on, FTP, SMTP and HTTP. This can only be down to packet loss as a result of heavy throttling. Packet loss on P2P is managable because of the way it works.

Packet loss on SMTP, FTP and HTTP, however, completely breaks these protocols. What are you going to do about it?
N/A

FTP and SMTP dying

Let me phrase this another way as you've chosen not to reply. Do you acknowledge that packets are being deliberately dropped on HTTP, SMTP and FTP?
JonathanW
Grafter

FTP and SMTP dying

Packets on these protocols is not being dropped, the traffic is being shaped which involves slowing it down. The only time traffic would be dropped is if there's a serious network incident.
N/A

FTP and SMTP dying

I've been trying for the past couple of hours to download a file of 30-40Kb via FTP. Everytime it gets halfway running at ~0.5Kb/s is cuts off with a timeout. Thats not just shaping - thats making it unusuable.
N/A

FTP and SMTP dying

Jon, that doesn't follow what I am seeing at all. I am getting timeouts on HTTP, FTP and SMTP after 60 seconds. If there's no response in 60 seconds, it's safe to assume the packets has been discarded. Especially when connecting to the same servers on 0844 dialup shows no problems.

It's been said in the past that packets in the slower queues are dropped. Up until recently this was only P2P traffic and didn't have the same consequences.

Therefore you can no longer say that you are simply slowing HTTP, FTP and SMTP during "management". You are dropping packets and actively breaking connections. This is backed up by people saying that pages have to be refreshed several times to load, emails of more than a few KB are timing out, and FTP connections dying from timeouts too.

Therefore I ask again. What are you going to do about eliminating packet loss from HTTP, SMTP and FTP during heavy "management"?
JonathanW
Grafter

FTP and SMTP dying

As I've said, to the best of my knowledge we're not dropping http packets. However, to be absolutely sure I'll double check with networks tomorrow.
N/A

FTP and SMTP dying

I'm also getting very *very* (i.e. unusable) slow speeds through FTP.

It seems to happen every night for the past week or so - very frustrating and not what I'd expect for my Broadband Premier account.

A tracert seems to suggest it's getting stuck at a place called verio.net - any ideas, guys?

Cheers
Vicky
N/A

FTP and SMTP dying

I too am seeing painful speeds via ftp. To eliminate it being a problem my end, I have so far:

Tried my router and a USB modem.
Tried 2 PC's and a laptop.
Tried different many ftps (I am a web developer).

Regarding the "if you've got problems smtp theres something wrong your end" attitude of the Plusnet guy, I had the same problem about 4 months ago. Slow/timed out smtp connections. After days of the plusnet crew telling me its my end, they then inform me that no, it's their end.

Mr PlusNet - you guys are taking the michael. I really really wish I hadnt signed up with you at all. Your forums and othered are littered with people complaining about your service. You are a disgrace.
N/A

FTP and SMTP dying

Jon, with all due respect, there have been plenty of instances where Customer Services have been unaware what the Network Team are doing.

One of two things are happening:
1) HTTP, SMTP, FTP packets are being held for several MINUTES before being routed
2) HTTP, SMTP, FTP packets are being dropped.

Both of these things render these protocols, and indeed the entire internet connection, unusable. Like I say, it's not just slowing traffic, it's LOSING traffic. Please let us know what Networks say ASAP.
N/A

ver very very slow http, ftp, smtp!!!

i too am seeing major problems when just trying to surf the internet, with pages timeing out all over the place!. it seems at present that my total bandwidth for ALL protocols is stuck at around 5KB/s!!, this includes http, ftp, and smtp, all of which are supposed to be given a reasonably high priority, in fact i have attempted to login to this very site 4 times and had numerous timeouts before eventually getting to this forum to vent my frustration!.

as far as i know this problem started on the 1st of jan 06 and has continued up until this time, any update on this would be very welcome!!.

paul.