cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTP and P2P speeds really low...

N/A

I've been getting frustratingly low FTP transfer speeds, and I have noticed that it's even worse for P2P - a week or two back I managed 600Kb/s+ for ftp (my own server, which continues to serve 600Kb/s+ when accessed from another ISP) but I am only getting 17Kb/s.

Has anyone else noticed problems with FTP? Or have I been 'knobbled' by Plus.net by mistake? My usage for this month (on Premier 1) is less than 3Gb, so I am WELL within all limits.

Help, please!

john
55 REPLIES
starfry
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I notice FTP is just annoyingly bad. I am trying to upload a small list of files to my plusnet web space and it is so irratic that I feel like getting hosting space elsewhere.
N/A

Also had problems with external FTP (my own server). Even getting the listings was taking a stupidly long time. Switched on SSL and speeds instantly improved. Also did the same with my email (also on my own server, different one) as email was suffering the same speed issues.

Starting to think that everything except http traffic is being choked.
N/A

So, is there throttling on all traffic bar http? If so, I shall leave immediately. Can someone from Plus.net confirm for me, please?
suec45
Grafter

It seems to be ftps on certain ports, port 21 is terrible and you get around 15-17kbps, as are many other common ports.

I have had good speeds from 1 ftp out of the many I use (around 10-20) and that was on a strange port.

Plusnet are throttling ftp to nothing along with P2P and its really starting to get stupid and down to TalkTalk levels. (The reason I left them in the first place)

Sort it out SOON
N/A

I'm attempting to upgrade perl and run a CPAN update, all of which is utilising ftp, and it wont go faster than 17KB/s.

Going to take hours with the looks of it.

So much for getting this server set up today.
N/A

speeds

speeds are rubbish and have been since they have introduce the new system.....
on peak and off peak...
:x
suec45
Grafter

Can you guys try this FTP download of Teamspeak please?

I cannot get more than 10k on both mirrors! which is ridiculous..

http://www.goteamspeak.com/index.php?page=downloads

Its the top Windows version with 2 download sites. Both are so very very slow for me just like most FTP downloads. Is it just me or all plusnet users?
N/A

tried that for you suec, ran at about 200k
SiMania
Grafter

P2P speeds are hopeless, I'm getting 10kbps for a well seeded torrent.
suec45
Grafter

tried that for you suec, ran at about 200k

Thanks for that Micro, that means its specific to my account then. What package are you on please?

Even 3d gamers massive ftp will not download at more than 10kbps for me. Trying to download a 30mb patch for Il2 Sturmovik. Only 59 minutes to go at 8-10kbps. Cry

Heres the link if anyone else wants to try it out :-

http://www.3dgamers.com/dlselect/games/pacificfighters/pf_v402m.exe.html

10kbps seems to be the figure everyone is using tonight as opposed to 17kbps last night. Is it getting worse?
Bernard_Shakey
Grafter

Can you guys try this FTP download of Teamspeak please?

1.4kB/s - time to download 5.6Mb: 01:07:41......

PATHETIC
Bernard_Shakey
Grafter

I'm usually able to d/l around 600Mb per day, peak time (Or, should I say, I *always* d/l). The last 3 days have not gone into triple figures.

PATHETIC
N/A

@ suec, Business Broadband
N/A

Plusnet I am getting this terrible déjà vu feeling.

My original account was unlimited with minimal traffic management, had access to newsgroups and had excellent responsive customer support. Over the last year or so you have changed my account so that it is now limited, you have dropped the newsgroup service and you have more chance of getting in touch with Elvis than customer support. When I thought things couldn`t get any worse lo and behold “Ellacoya 6.4” and my download speeds go down like your customer satisfaction rating at USwitch. Now I am getting familiar with your modus operandi and I predict this is how it is going to go over the next months.

1) Ellacoya 6.4 arrive and our dl speeds hit the floor
2) You guys are all sympathetic and tells us you have just had a team huddle and now all your staff are working hard to fix the problem (3-4 months).
3) You introduce some “fix” that doesn’t work (3-4 Months).
4) You tell us how difficult the problem is and that there is no easy solution and you are having another team huddle.
5) Next you mutate the Fair Usage Policy and redefine our contracts once again to exclude P2P or put on another limit.
6) We reach for our MAC codes.

Health: 53200% and 500 seeds!!
Account Type: Premier (In name only)
Time of Day:00:26
Speed: 20 kB/s
Gateway: Telehouse East, Juniper 3
Encryption: Auto
Exchange Status:Green