Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTP Server speeds

N/A

FTP Server speeds

My connection:

DL: 1MB
UL: 256KB

If i was to host an FTP server and someone else wanted to upload to it and they had a 1MB connection, would they upload to my server at 256KB or 1MB? seeing as my incoming speed is 1MB.
42 REPLIES
ukbrown
Grafter

FTP Server speeds

they can only upload as fast as their link will let them

same as if you host a web site on your pc that is conected to BB

That's my understanding anyway.
N/A

FTP Server speeds

my other question is that how can i set how much space a user can use on the server has ie: 500mb/1GB/2GB etc.
ukbrown
Grafter

FTP Server speeds

do they log in as specific users. IF they do they could each have their own home directory area whihc would have to be quota'ed by the underlying OS. Can do this in 2003 not too sure about XP
N/A

FTP Server speeds

Hi garytester,

The answer to your question about upload speed via FTP would be 256K on a 1 Meg or 2Meg ADSL connection because that's the current limitation of this technology and that's set by BT and the technology itself.

However, the good news is that this is set to change in the near future with the next generation of of BB i.e. MAXDSL or ADSL2+ and I have heard that the upload speed may go as high as 1Meg?

As for the space made available on your PC's system when running an FTP server I think this would only be limited by x2 factors 1) the FTP software your running i.e. defined by the FTP server 2) available disk space on your system i.e. how much do you want or need to give them, how big or how many files. Some machines like those running XP you can define hard disk quotas for specific users.

**Make sure if you have setup an FTP server that you lock down your security on that FTP server as you dont want external users being able to see or use the whole of your hard disk drive, you need to setup the correct folder or directory permissions for this.

Ivan
N/A

FTP Server speeds

i got Windows Server 2003 SP1 and it wouldnt install when i tried to on Windows XP Home (SP2)
N/A

FTP Server speeds

Hi garytester,

As I understand Windows server 2003 comes with a fully featured FTP server which if I recall comes as part of Windows IIS. And IIS is a server additional component that you can install after you have installed server 2003 you can install the IIS or FTP server add on from your product CD disk if you have it.

**XP home I dont think is capable of running an FTP server, XP home is only designed as a windows client OS, home is windows XP but with many of the more advanced feature's of XP pro NOT included or disabled in some way.

**No! I'm sure you cannot run an FTP server on XP home, even with XP Pro I'm abit doubtefull TBH.

**The FTP server can easily be run on server 2003 though 100% sure of that.

Ivan
N/A

FTP Server speeds

im confused, is Windows Server 2003 an OS ?
N/A

FTP Server speeds

Hi garytester,

There is nothing to be confused about its very straight forwards windows server 2003 is just that its a full blown server product designed for networked environments such as business networks, ontop of this such a server might be permanently connected to the internet too.

Servers like this also run server based applications such as exchange server which enables businesse's to have email to all desktop machines. The desktop machines would use an email client program such as Outlook or Outlook Express. This is known as the "Client Server" computing, thus windows server 2003 is a server operating system or network operating system, YES!! its an OS, it just that its windows and also has a GUI Interface so it looks very like the more well known windows desktop OS's. But dont be confused by the simplisty of windows server 2003 it may have a simple looking interface but below the bonnett its a very sophisticated & complex server product with powerful features, it can run hundres of desktop clients.

Ivan
N/A

FTP Server speeds

I want to host FTP space and i want to for example have 7x5GB slots on a 40GB Hard drive (other 5GB for applications). The users can have administration of their bit (upload, download, delete files from their server).

Would i need to partition my hard drive into the slots needed?
N/A

FTP Server speeds

Hello garytester,

The answer is No! you dont need to go as far as partitioning your hard disk drive in order to achieve that situation. On Windows 2003 server and also on Windows XP Pro you can setup "Disk Quota's" using the NTFS filing system.

Each user can be set a disk quota i.e. you could setup x5 users & x5 quotas and so each user would be given 8GB (I think?) each.

**Also if you installed the IIS/FTP server software on windows 2003 server and hosted the FTP server, this kind of software usually allows you or (requires you) to set it up so each user would have to have a destinct unique username & password for access. Further FTP software requires that you setup tight security on the folders users can access or view or use from outside (on an incoming or remote connection) this is so your machine isnt hacked or compromised. The user would get a default folder or start folder when using their FTP client program (when connecting with your FTP server) this is the same as with F9 on their home pages were the start folder is just called HTDOCS and you can use anything below this but not go above this start up folder i.e. you dont have permissions only the right to use the space given too you from htdocs downwards.

**Its quite likely too that the FTP hosted server may well allow you to define just how much disk space you want to give a user.

Ivan
N/A

FTP Server speeds

So what i can run WIndows Server 2003 on Windows XP??

I found this....

LINK

is that the right one?

[Moderator's note by Tom (hsnetwork): Edited link to avoid stretching of the forums.]
N/A

FTP Server speeds

Hi,

Ahh!! if it was only that easy and that cheap!! no! thats NOT the correct product for your needs. The problem here is that Microsoft have two forms of server licensing 1) Per server or 2) per seat.

**Per Server means how many inbound server connections your win 2003 server is allowed to accept this might be 25 to 25,000 connections usually used for big networks in business.

**Per seat is how many concurrent user connections your server is allowed to accept at anyone time and is usually better for a smaller business or setup when you have say 10 or less users.

**The product you show a link for is for a server that only accepts x1 seat or one client connection and so would be almost useless I'm affraid.

**No! what you need is the full blown server product which would allow upto 10 seats or connections and its not cheap.

**no! you need windows 2003 server to host IIS/FTP server

Ivan
N/A

FTP Server speeds

hmmm, so theres no alternative?

i also found this: |LINK and it says web edition is only $397 and no CAL's are required, is this the one i want?
N/A

FTP Server speeds

Hi Again,

No!! NOT the web edition you need either the standard edition or the small business server editions, as I said NOT cheap!!

Ivan