cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTP Performance

N/A

FTP Performance

Friday 17 June 2005 1200 - 13.20.

FTP download keeps failing with varying interval before disconnecting.

Had to do it folder by folder, file by file; all extremely aggravating.

Why can't you keep your FTP server reliably online?

Brian Smith
SOPHCO SYSTEMS LIMITED
brian.smith@sophco.com
12 REPLIES
LiamM
Grafter

FTP Performance

I can't say I've ever had problems using Plusnet FTP and I've transferred full installations of phpbb, coppermine etc... without fail, numerous times before.
N/A

FTP Performance

Well I must have just imagined it!

Good job I wasn't really having problems but I think I'd better go and lie down just the same.
LiamM
Grafter

FTP Performance

I'm sorry?

Your post was aimed at Plusnet asking them to make their FTP service reliable. I was simply saying that for me, and the majority, it is reliable. Merely suggesting that perhaps it would be worth looking at the setup on your side / FTP client etc...?
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

FTP Performance

Hi there,

I haven't seen any other reports of a similar nature recently. Perhaps the OP can provide FTP logs? I'd be interested to see where the problem seems to be occurring. Any other connectivity issues? eg when browsing or sending/receiving mail?

Kind Regards,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

N/A

FTP Performance

Tried both IE6 and FrontPage (don't have CuteFTP or other ftp client) and problem was consistent.

No other problems with Exchange or other comms apps. Accessing websites and publishing without any difficulty.

Brian Smith
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

FTP Performance

Hi,

Is the problem with your frontpage space or regular FTP space then? Were you trying to just drag the folders out of an explorer window or downloading via FP's interface.

Kind Regards,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

N/A

FTP Performance

(don't have CuteFTP or other ftp client)

May i reccomend
http://sourceforge.net/projects/filezilla/

It's free, and does the job superbly.
N/A

FTP Performance

Tried ftping in Explorer and then copying the folder; each copy failed at a different time interval.

Tried downloading using FrontPage's remote site access and maintenance but couldn't access the site - which is notoriously unreliable and picky - so went back to IE and doing it folder by folder. The root I did in batches.

As ever I imagine it's a combination of things; settings our end not quite fitting settings your end but it's a real nuisance and if you're going to offer hosting etc I suppose it falls to you to be all things to all men rather than expecting your users to work out why they can't get on with you?

rbentley

Thanks for the tip. We've got a licenced copy of Ipswitch somewhere but I couldn't be fagged installing it etc. IE should be more than sufficient to download/upload a few files from a straightforward ftp site. We use it all the time to maintain our own sites at Giacom/Clara/btConnect/PIPEX etc.
N/A

FTP Performance

To be honist, if your gonna be using FTP then why not use a propper FTP client (ie SmartFTP etc) ? There has never been any propblems when I (and most people) have been uploading files.
N/A

FTP problems- try ftp2.plus.net

I had similar problems at the beginning of May, and found previous postings suggesting using ftp2.plus.net. This worked and I have not had any problems since, except when I changed ftp client and forgot to use ftp2 in the settings. I logged a "contact us" ticket at the time asking why ftp.plus.net was still unreliable, and was told Plusnet were investigating. I am staggered that it has not been resolved!
N/A

FTP Performance

Thanks for the tip nstone; I'd still be up Buggeration Street without it.

Reset my ftp folder to ftp2 and immediately got much better results.

Still lost connection, don't know why, but only once and thanks to the tip re filezilla the connection re-established itself automatically and recovered the transfer errors.

Problems with ftp2 are there but minimal compared with ftp.

But PlusNet, oh dear!

PS I think I'd better introduce Mr Hargreaves to Mr Stone?
N/A

If a jobs worth doing...

Gotta agree with Mr Stone though. If you are managing many professional sites from a buncha domestic ISP's then it might be best to - not only use a dedicated client (they exist for a reason), or at least Dreamweaver (FP is kinda amateur hour) which includes a very powerful ftp and version checker - but to combine your sites in a single hosting package with a company running business terms

Sorry if this seems like a flame, but if you are going to insult those who write to help, you should really know your onions......