cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTP Again

N/A

FTP Again

I've been working in a clients office FTP'ing stuff to my server without any issues.

I've working at home today and what do I keep getting, time-outs all the time.

I brought this subject up a couple of weeks ago and was told that it's because there is NAT of both sides of the connection and it causes problems. Well, the problem only seems to be through plusnet. Doesnt happen on my clients internet connection.

Does anyone else have similar issues?
11 REPLIES
N/A

FTP Again

Yes, been experiencing the same problem (time-outs) this morning.

I'm not convinced that it's because there's a NAT on both sides of the connection. I've been FTPing to a server this morning and it was def not behind a nat.

What I find strange is that the FTP really struggles to connect and navigate, but as soon as the server starts sending a file down, the speed is fine.

I suspect, as always, that it's some dodgy Ellacoya signature that just breaks things...

I've ordered my new ISP today so hopefully won't see much more PN nonsense.
N/A

FTP Again

Yes, been experiencing the same problem (time-outs) this morning.

I'm not convinced that it's because there's a NAT on both sides of the connection. I've been FTPing to a server this morning and it was def not behind a nat.

What I find strange is that the FTP really struggles to connect and navigate, but as soon as the server starts sending a file down, the speed is fine.

I suspect, as always, that it's some dodgy Ellacoya signature that just breaks things...

I've ordered my new ISP today so hopefully won't see much more PN nonsense.

I've just checked my business bank account this morning to see if a cheque had cleared so I can pay my fee and get my mac code....just trying to determine whether I want to do it today or tomorrow.

It's abit like what they used to say about cars year ago when they started fitting central locking and electric windows...those that couldnt afford one used to say "Ah, its just more things to go wrong". Plusnet have some create technology on the network, but it's just something else to go wrong, which seems to be the case with FTP.
N/A

FTP Again

I find the following intolerable:
* FTP
* IRC/DCC
* PN Email (not that I've dared use it for 12months+)

If they can't even get email and FTP right, what hope for anything else? My experience of VOIP (Vonage) via PN was also rather dire...

All in all, I can't wait to see the back of PN. Just disappointed it had to end this way - PN/F9 used to be great. Now they suck.
N/A

FTP Again

I'm using VOIP with sipgate at the minute which has been spot on. but I did use plusnets VIOP for a few month and have nothing but trouble with it.

Could never make calls, when I rang the number and hungup the VOIP phone would continue to ring.

Had endless amounts of trouble.

So I'm another one that cant wait to see the back of them.
N/A

FTP Again

Going slightly off-topic here.

Back to littlened's original query, have you checked to see if the Broadband Firewall (under Connection Settings) is switched on? If this is, you'll need to change it from "High" to "Low" in order to use FTP.
N/A

FTP Again

the broadband firewall is completely turned off. I dont use it.
N/A

FTP Again

Back to littlened's original query, have you checked to see if the Broadband Firewall (under Connection Settings) is switched on? If this is, you'll need to change it from "High" to "Low" in order to use FTP.

Good point. (Though I doubt it is the problem as I am suffering time-outs too and the PN firewall is OFF.)

At the same time raises the question of what sort of ISP blocks customers from using FTP by default?! Oh wait, the PN kind!
Mand
Grafter

FTP Again

Hi

The firewall was only implemented by default on Plus products, which shouldn't cause too many problems as the only services likely to have issues were VPN and FTP.

All other products have the firewall turned off by default.

With regards to FTP, is this external FTP? And what product type are you on?
N/A

FTP Again

yes its external FTP and I'm on premier 1
N/A

FTP Again

same here: external ftp, premier 1.

littlened: when you finally manage to upload/download what are the speeds like? I find i get line speed, but only after waiting 60+ seconds to navigate folders etc. - assuming i don't get timed-out.
N/A

FTP Again

I get great speeds when it uploads or downloads.

What I do is I modify a page on a site, I upload it..fine. I make a change to the site, upload it again...fine, I may another change to the file, try to upload it and it times out. So I wait a few minutes, try the file again and it works.

That happens on and off throughout the day, and it's just just the one server I'm having problems with, it's two servers in two different parts of the world (US and Manchester)