cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FTP Access

N/A

FTP Access

Hello,

The FTP site has been causing problems for me for at least 4-5 months. I put it down to a crappy ftp client in Dreamweaver where the connection would die in a middle of a transfer for no apparent reason, not even file size. I had small and large files fail. Now I see they have report problems, and thought I would try other ftp clients such as WS_FTP and AutoFTP but with similar results. This is a real pain esp. trying to sychronize a local website. I tried passive transfers with no success ftp2.plus.net doesn't work either. Anyone have any suggestions of an ftp client that would work with the current problems, one that would cope with finding a dodgy connection and continue synching correctly?
10 REPLIES
N/A

core ftp

Hi,

Try core ftp lite available from Http://www.coreftp.com it's a "freebie" single executable that seems to work very well...

Cheesy JB
N/A

FTP Access

Any resolution of the problem in uploading? ftp2.plus.net doesn't work for me either.
N/A

FTP Access

still same for me too. FTP's die after I transfer at least 2MB. Then they invariably die. Very very very very annoying esp when you have 30 0.5 meg files to transfer and it takes me about an hour of my time to keep checking that they have transferred correctly.
N/A

FTP Access

There is an unacknowledged probelm with the FTP, which is causing a lot of us to see the service as not working.

I have had problems with ftp.plus.net and ftp2.plus.net . Additionally I had problems with cgi.plus.net, although I was lucky to find a working window last night, so I did actually get most of my data uploaded, and tweaked the rest manually with Vi.

Plus Net are not answering the tickets, nor are they acknowledging the problem in the service status area.

Good luck - you may just have to wait for a fix.
N/A

FTP Access

Fixed?

It is at my end - As of the latest service announcement I can now access all my previously mentioned FTP locations.

Wonder what the fix was...
N/A

FTP Access

Still not working here Sad
N/A

FTP Access

Anyone else getting problems accessing ftps outside of PN?

I've been unable to log on (via ftp) to my Ehostpros account for the last 48 hours. PN support (surprise surprise) say that the fault lies with Ehostpros who say there's nothing wrong at their end..

I still can't access my Ehostpros ftp since the ftp issue at PN has been 'fixed'.

A bit of a coincidence that Ehostpros should break at the same time as PlusNet. And FWIW I still can't access my PN ftp ('Error entering passive mode' from my ftp client).

For a £45.99/month "Business" package I should be able to access my own websites I think.
N/A

Re: FTP Access

The FTP site has been causing problems for me for at least 4-5 months. I put it down to a crappy ftp client in Dreamweaver where the connection would die in a middle of a transfer for no apparent reason, not even file size.

It's not Dreamweaver's fault; it's PlusNet's load-balancing gear. I get the same problem with any ftp client using ftp.plus.net and cgi.plus.net.

ftp2.plus.net should get around the problem with intermittent time-outs, but there's no workaround for cgi.plus.net. If you still get the problem with ftp2.plus.net, then it's a new one to me. You can always try the PASV setting, but it's never made any difference for me.

I also use SmartFTP, which is free for private use. Google for it. I think the url is www.smartftp.com.
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 70

FTP Access

HI there,

If we have problems of this nature then they need addressing. AFAIK we haven't and I have personally never had issues uploading/downloading to and from my Plusnet connection irrespective of filesize/number of files etc. I would suggest raising support tickets showing this failing from a command line interface or by supplying detailed FTP logs.

This should be done preferably with firewalls lowered/disabled. Are the problems specific to ADSL or do the same issues occur over dial up? Have you tried from a non-Plusnet connection (will not work with CGI)?? There are a number of things that can be done to isolate any potential issues, but I'm sorry to say that I am not personally aware of any problems.

Kind Regards,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

N/A

FTP Access

I'm sorry to say that I am not personally aware of any problems.

Ah, Grasshopper, you have a lot to learn.

The "issue" has been known about since before I joined in December 2000. When PlusNet jumped on the SurfTime bandwagon, any access to ftp farm was done via the Alteon load-balancing gear, and this caused the timeout problems.

ftp-proxy.plus.net was brought in for 3 years - and despite regularly falling-over, worked well. Then some bright-spark decided that work to the network had fixed the problem. and took it away. Ooops.

Last year, Ross Bray stepped-in and got ftp2.plus.net running. I've had no problems with this workaround either. A similar workaround should help with the CGI platform, but, I personally, don't tend to do big uploads to it.

So, just ask Ross.