cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FAO anyone in customer service - Help please

Neondaze
Grafter

I don't like to do this, but I Have tried to raise a ticket twice now.

Since late last night (25/11/03) I have been getting a large number of random 'cannot find server' messages whilst browsing. This problem is affecting various sites including the Portal. Repeated use of the refresh button usually achieves connection to the requested site. As you can imagine this problem is making browsing infuriating.

I have been powered down between 8am and 8 pm today. I am currently using my broadband connection to view this forum (after 3 refreshes).

As I stated I tried to raise a ticket twice, but each time received the dreaded random message 'Cannot find server'.

My email is working fine.

Is anybody else experiencing this problem
7 REPLIES
N/A

Have you seen the link:Service Status page recently - it may be linked. What type of connection equipment do you use (USB, PCI or Router)? When you say "powered down" do you mean your PC, or your equipment (possibly one and the same)? What are your DNS servers currently set to?

To find out :
[list=1]
  • Click "Start"
  • Click "Run"
  • Type in "cmd"
  • In the window that appears type "ipconfig /all"[/listShocked]

The dns servers should be set to 212.159.13.49 and 212.159.13.50. If not, you can change them by doing the following :

[list=1]
  • Click "Start"
  • Click "Control Panel"
  • Double-click "Network Connections"
  • Double-click your network connection
  • In the window that pops up click "Properties"
  • Choose "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" from the list and click "Properties"
  • Change the dot from "Obtain DNS Server Address Automatically" to "Use The Following DNS Server Addresses"
  • Enter "212.159.13.49" into the first box, and in the second box enter "212.159.13.50"[/listShocked]
  • Neondaze
    Grafter

Hmm, this problem is infuriating.

Eurotrain - thankyou for you quick reply.

This my second attempt at replying back.

In answer to your questions: -

Modem is a USB modem. My computer and therefore the modem was turned off all day. I ran ipconfig as suggested which confirmed the DNS servers to be as you stated.

The service status page suggests that all is now well.

Further suggestions would be very much appreciated.
    N/A

One thing to try might be flushing your dns cache. To do this:

[list=1]
  • Click "Start"
  • Click "Run"
  • Type in "cmd"
  • In the window that appears type "ipconfig /flushdns"[/listShocked]

You will receive confirmation such as "The DNS cache has been successfully flushed".

It may also be worth changing the DNS servers, as a quick experiement. I recommend Demon's servers (158.152.1.43 and 158.152.1.5Cool, as they seem very good at the moment.

To do this:

[list=1]
  • Click "Start"
  • Click "Control Panel"
  • Double-click "Network Connections"
  • Double-click your network connection
  • In the window that pops up click "Properties"
  • Choose "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" from the list and click "Properties"
  • Change the dot from "Obtain DNS Server Address Automatically" to "Use The Following DNS Server Addresses"
  • Enter "158.152.1.43" into the first box, and in the second box enter "158.152.1.58"[/listShocked]
  • Neondaze
    Grafter

Hi.

Ok, tried to run ipconfig /flushdns as suggested. Recieved the following reply - Could not flush the DNS Resolver Cache: Function failed during execution.

Also made sure my firewall was not getting in the way of that request.

Is the response i recieved good or not?

I changed the DNS serveres as you suggested. At present seem to be ok. Should i be using those servers though ?

Edit before reposting - hmm spoke too soon - problen reoccured trying to submit this post
    N/A

That error message is strange, I can't say I've seen it before - maybe someone with more knowledge could answer that one. It may be a dead end any way though. The firewall shouldn't get in the way of anything though, it's a locally run thing.

The DNS servers are public, so you're fine to use them. Put it this way, if they didn't want you using them - you wouldn't be able to Smiley

Sorry I haven't been much help, just thought it was worth a try running through the basic things. I'm pretty sure it's not dns related, as you stated that email is working fine. Therefore is must be resolving mail.plus.net to its IP address.

One way to put this theory to rest would be to try the following: Does http://216.239.59.99 work when www.google.com does not?

Another thing to check: Have you run an anti-virus scan recently (with up to date virus definitions)? If you don't have any AV software installed, you can run a free online scan HERE. Also, try scanning for spyware using either AdAware or SpyBot S&D.

Note: When using either of these programs please make sure that you use the "backup" facilities before making any changes. Also insure that you have XP's system restore enabled, and that you do not remove any "spyware" unless you are 100% positive about it. If you're not feeling very confident I would suggest using AdAware as it is more user friendly and less (potentially) damaging.
    Neondaze
    Grafter

Ok,

This is not good. My problem is getting worse. Randomly affecting sending and recieving of email as well now.

I haven't detected any pattern to which sites are affected. Some seem to work ok - I can browse them without any problems, but then if i go back later I get the 'cant find server' message.

I do particularly have a problem accessing the portal though, either having to refresh many times, or openibg a new browser window and starting again.

I have managed to raise a ticket, but have had no responce.

If no one else is experiencing this problem how do I check if the problem is with my exchange ?

I have run Norton AV - Several times and it is uptodate. I have also run Ad-Aware (which is also upto date). In desperation I even used system restore to go back to a point before the weeks earlier outage. Still no improvement.

Any suggestions anyone can give would be gratefully recieved as I am now becoming very fed up.
    Ianwild
    Grafter

I doubt this would be an exchange problem UNLESS you are getting significant packetloss on your connection. Have yu ever used Traceroute or WinMTR?

Other than this, I am at a loss with this one. The only very similar case I heard was froma customer infected by the Nachi worm. This certainly isn't a problem many of our users are experiancing!

Regards,

Ian