Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FAO Jamesbailey

ForeverArsenal
Grafter

FAO Jamesbailey

Hi James.
Now need some help/advice.
You have been trying to help me in the PAYG thread.

In the PAYG theads I've said that mostly over the last several months I've been synched at Great Dunmow exchange at approx 3400 kbps,have always got 2800kbps to 3000kbps.

Over the last **few weeks**(apart from very slow P2P)downloads I've been for the most part connection at the exchange at over 3000kbps *but*can only download at approx
1400/1500kbps.

Today 11/02/07 @ 11:30 without any re-boot of router my synch rate at exchange has changed from over 3000kbps to 1725kbps-still getting 1400+kbps down.

Have rebooted router (off for ten mins) router then synched at over 3800kbps,still only getting 1300 to 1500kbps down.

Have run BT speed test and results below.

13:56 11/02/2007

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 1500 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 3808 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)

Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 1283 kbps

If you wish to discuss these results please contact your ISP.

If you are experiencing problems with specific applications, servers or websites please contact your ISP for assistance.

Your test has completed please close this window to exit the performance tester.

So please advise on what to do.
By the way have tried another router (netgear dg834)same results.
7 REPLIES
N/A

FAO Jamesbailey

I believe James is on holiday for a week.
ForeverArsenal
Grafter

FAO Jamesbailey

I believe James is on holiday for a week.

Hi ahoids.
Many thanks for info,just my luck. :roll:
bobbygeorge
Grafter

FAO Jamesbailey

I'm sure Dave,Liam or one of the other comms guys will certainly pick up the trail for you ..
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

FAO Jamesbailey

Hi,

The reason for these speed test results is because of this:

When your router sync'd at 1725kbps it would have reduced the throughput (the IP profile to 1500kbps). If the sync speed has dropped top this rate before then that would explain the earlier speed tests.

So long as the line remains sync'd at a higher rate then the throughput will automatically increase in 3-5 days time, if there are further sync decreases then the speed will stay as it is (or go lower if the sync rate decreases to a lower rate).

The best thing to do is keep an eye on that sync rate and watch to see if it decreases again.
ForeverArsenal
Grafter

FAO Jamesbailey

Hi,

The reason for these speed test results is because of this:

When your router sync'd at 1725kbps it would have reduced the throughput (the IP profile to 1500kbps). If the sync speed has dropped top this rate before then that would explain the earlier speed tests.

So long as the line remains sync'd at a higher rate then the throughput will automatically increase in 3-5 days time,
The best thing to do is keep an eye on that sync rate and watch to see if it decreases again.

Hi Dave

Thanks for reply.
As I explained to James in another thread about this(and poor P2P speeds)which on PAYG should not on the whole be affected,I am always sync'd at +3200kbps or above,my download speeds have most of the time always been 3000kbps and at the odd times 2500kbps.

I have been constantly sync'd at +3200kbps for several weeks
and for some reason in the last 2/3 weeks dispite being sync'd at the *3000+ kbps* and my IP profile at 3000kbps my down speed has dropped from 3000kbps to 1200/1500 kbps .

Yesterday I was sync'd at 3200 odd kbps,then overnight it resync'd at the 1725kbps and I would agree that 1200//1500 kbps down would be about right for my IP profile of 1500kbps **at this moment**.

I check my sync rate every few days,I have never seen a sync
rate on my router of less 2900kbps.

That been my point I am trying to get an answer to,for many weeks my *IP profile* has been +3000kbps and my down speeds have been a steady 3000kbps,but in last few weeks no better than 1200//1500kbps BUT my IP profile has remained at +3000kbps .

The down speed (apart from last few weeks) was always approx 3000kbps,no complaints.

At this moments I'me sync'd at 3808kbps and I do understand what you are saying about IP profile updating in few days,
but thats the whole point, even with a IP profile of +3000kbps over last weeks my down speed dropped from 3000kbps to the 1200+.

Could it be a problem at the exchage ??shows green in check.
thanks for your time.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

FAO Jamesbailey

Looking at the speed history from BT since the beginning of December the line speed has been 2272, 2848 and 3424kbps every few days, dropping to 1728kbps around 07/02/2007 08:25:13 before going back up 2 days later then decreasing again around 11/02/2007 09:24:18 (those times are to within about an hour).

It might be that the router is sync'ing at a lower rate just for a few minutes, but the number of changes that there are means that the throughput rate will change whenever the sync rate changes.

I don't think it's an exchange problem, I think it's a case of a line being a little unstable (there's about 30 throughput rate changes since the beginning of December) and sync'ing at lower rates for short periods causing the throughput rate to change a lot, sometimes it may be changing before all of the databases updates (can take around 24 hours for the throughput rate change to update everywhere).

So long as the line remains stable the throughput will go back up, but it's probably worth trying to pin down what's causing the sync drops. Do the times above help at all and tie in with anything that could cause a connection drop?
ForeverArsenal
Grafter

FAO Jamesbailey

Looking at the speed history from BT since the beginning of December the line speed has been 2272, 2848 and 3424kbps every few days,

I don't think it's an exchange problem, I think it's a case of a line being a little unstable (there's about 30 throughput rate changes since the beginning of December) and sync'ing at lower rates for short periods causing the throughput rate to change a lot,
?

Hi Dave
Thanks for the reply.
Sorry I have not replied before now,seems that my e-mail reply notification is not working again,unless mail has a problem again.

Can't understand the above.for many weeks (apart from last two weeks) been getting a regular 3000kbps down for several weeks,on the odd times 2500kbps down.I check speed every day.

The only time I've had bad down speeds was 4 months approx
for a few days @about 4 to 600kbps,after fews days went back up again to the norm of 2.5//3000kbps.

So don't know what to do to try to get back to speeds I've been getting.
Guess I've have to see if it improves in the next week or two,then raise a ticket and try and get BT to check exchange.
Thanks for help.