Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FAO James Bailey - Upgrade to Max 8000kbps

N/A

Hi James,

You were helping me out on thread:

http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=50848

I replied to say my account still showing 2000kbps downloads available in the control panel, so i don't know if the change you made has worked?

You were going to switch me to the max product which would remove the 2000kbps restriction?

Paul
8 REPLIES
Ajtame
Grafter

Profile has been changed to a max one however please bear in mind that it will take around 10 days for max to fully configure and the delta reports that set your speed to come through, in the meantime I advise setting your configuration to optimum in your home so that the line gives the best results.
N/A

OK thanks for letting me know.

How do i configure settings to ensure they are set to Optimum?

Paul
Ajtame
Grafter

If you have a router, update your firmware, if you have a modem, update your drivers then you want to optimise the physical connection, make sure the extention leads (if you use them) are good with no breaks in it. Preferably you want to be plugged into the master socket without one for the best performance.
Community Veteran

How do i configure settings to ensure they are set to Optimum?

You can't because that statement is pretty meaningless considering how many options you could change related to your connection, your PC, your printer, your wiring etc. What is optimum for one setup may not be optimum for another.

Basically just wait for the 10 (actually normally 12 or 13) days to elapse then check your speeds. If they don't look any faster raise a fault.
Community Veteran

If you have a router, update your firmware, if you have a modem, update your drivers then you want to optimise the physical connection, make sure the extention leads (if you use them) are good with no breaks in it. Preferably you want to be plugged into the master socket without one for the best performance.

Seems an a lot of effort for very little gain and the vast majority of users won;t have a clue what you are talking about.

You should leave everything exactly as it is and wait as I suggested earlier. Then see if there are any problems. Only then should you start messing with settings/firmware upgrades or cables.

Changing/checking everything you have stated may actually cause problems rather than solve them. If it ain't broke, don't fix it applies here.
Ajtame
Grafter

In my experience updating to the latest firmware/drivers is often a good idea its even recommended by BT wholesale themselves, checking the cabling can never hurt and neither can using the master socket, its well known that extention leads can sometimes cause extra noise on the line.

If someone diddnt know how to udpate drivers or firmware and wished to try doing so then they are welcome to post here and i'm sure someone will be happy to help them.

In the end its up to the individual to which of these options they decide to take up.
N/A

thanks for replies.

I am going to wait until the 13 days is over and run speed tests to see if i can see an improvement.

My BT Exchange is also red at the moment.

Once I know the 13 days is up and the exchange status is green hope to expect faster connections.

if not I'll try what you say re drivers etc.

Thanks for help everyone.
Paul
Community Veteran
Fixes: 6

If someone diddnt know how to udpate drivers or firmware and wished to try doing so then they are welcome to post here and i'm sure someone will be happy to help them.

Well pal, your the one with the PlusNet avatar I'm sure you'll do your best..

Just out of curiousity, why do people need to upgrade their firmware/drivers for a speed increase?

Is this PN's method of disguising the very slow speeds lately?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!