cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extremely slow downloads from Microsoft

N/A

Hi all,

Migrated over to PN last Friday. During that time, speeds have been fine, giving me a steady 235KB/s on most HTTP downloads, pings have been fine and P2P has not slowed down much at all compared to my previous provider. However, one problem I have noticed is this.

On my old provider (F2S) I used to get very, very good downloads from Microsoft, however since moving to PN my average download rate is between 10 and 20KB/s. In fact I just tried a download and only got 2KB/s!! I did raise a ticket with regards to this problem, and was advised that their network team was investigating it. I was just curious as to whether everybody else is regularly getting appauling download speeds from MS. I'm not normally picky about downloading from Microsoft. All I wanted to do was download the latest version of ActiveSync for my Pocket PC and it was going to take over 2 hours for a 12MB download!
10 REPLIES
N/A

I downloaded a fair bit from them last night, no problems here.
craigbrass
Grafter

I download form Microsoft a good bit and it is always slow. It's their servers, not your connection. I have found using Download Accelorator Plus boosts download speed up to 220k on a 2mb connection.
N/A

Thanks for the replies folks, I just decided to do a reboot on my router and reconnected to AG3 at Plusnet, and before I was on AG1. Just tried a download, and I am getting full speed! I decided to run a traceroute and noticed the MS server IP was in the UK, while before it was in the US (84.x.x.x as opposed to 64.x.x.x). Very odd how it suddenly changed :shock: .
vic_newey
Grafter

Use +nets batch FTP in 'Tools ' they will download files from anywhere then you download it from +net at high speed ( in theory ) LOL
N/A

I've been experiencing this problem too..

Downloads from Microsoft go at about 4Kb/s... everywhere else I get around 240Kb/s ..
N/A

Odd. Pulled a 60MB Service pack for visual studio 6 last night at around 200k/s.
N/A

I've never experienced problems with Microsoft - in fact I usually download something form them to test my speed is ok. The infrastructure and nature of the company means their end is more often than not near to perfect!
Community Veteran

*Ignore Me This Will Not Help Your Problem*

They must've put their own OS on the server by mistake, hence it being slow.

*On My Last Day At School My English Teacher Called Me The Original Anti Microsoft Rebel :? *
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

We've seen quite a few reports of slow downloads from Microsoft over the last few days. It seems to depend on where in the world you are downloading from. We've made a few changes our side to see if that helps, you might need to reboot but try it again and see what it's like.
rspurgeon
Grafter

Hi,

About a couple of months ago I brought a new laptop and I had both my old and new laptop connected to the internet. However when downloading the beta of microsoft anti spyware it wanted me to varify my windows installation... My old laptop was already varified. (the licence check thing)

I went through the varification ok and it said thanks for using authentic windows etc. However when it started downloading the rate was only around 20kb/s which i found very strange as I normally get excellent speeds. So I tried to download it at the same time on my old laptop and got my usual speeds of around 200kb/s. Both downloads were simutanous.

I had read that Microsoft were planning to slow down downloads for pirate users of their o/s systems. However recently they seem to have completely disabled downloads.

I am not implying that anyone has a pirate copy of windows - neither do I, but I witnessed very slow downloads directly after the varification process!

Makes you wonder doesnt it! :shock: