Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extracting the urine?

Azagoth
Grafter

Extracting the urine?

This is just wrong!

A mate of mine whom I refered to +net and am recieving 50p discount for has just been regraded. His DL is showing up @ 6MB and UL @448, whereas I am still at the bog standard 2.2MB!

Now, this mate lives no more than 50 yards away from me and is on the same exchange. So why has he been upgraded and I've been forced to wait for over 6 day's for a regrade ticket to be answered? Not to mention that he joined +net over two months after me!
10 REPLIES
N/A

Re: Extracting the urine?

This is just wrong!

I am still at the bog standard 2.2MB!

Since when has 2.2 been standard?

I've never actually seen a sync for 2 MB because I couldn't get more than 1 before being maxed, but are you sure that you haven't been done and just got a slow rate? What's your upload sync cpeed?
Does your modem/router show megabytes or megabits. Plus call a megabyte 1000 bytes but in fact it is 1024, and there are 8 bits in a byte.

Apologies if I'm telling my grandmother how to suck eggs, so to speak.
N/A

Extracting the urine?

(a) billing date
(b) did he submit a "queue jump" request

You seem to be oblivious to the comments and complaints of people who have been customers for years, and are hoping for their regrade too. Sure, there are lots of people wanting their regrade ASAP (I was among them), but you (and many more of us) just need a bit more patience, I guess...

(NB I "was" among them, but have not had it yet... on switching to another ISP, I expect to get DSL Max any day now)
N/A

Extracting the urine?

I'm not oblivious to the complaints, I was one of the complainers.

The original plan of billing date and length of time with +net was fine, then it was decided that all PAYG customers (the majority, probably over 100,000) would all be upgraded first, before any of the people who pay for Premier.

This caused a lot of complaints because people who'd been with + for years would have to wait to the end of the year maybe. So the q jump was started. It's not fair, but it's the only way that long-time customers have a hope of being upgraded before your next door neighbour who uses a few MB a month for a couple of emails and joined this year.

I'd have preferred the original plan, but PAYG persuaded + to put them all first, and there are a lot more PAYG than Premier. So, the only alternative to a long wait is a q jump ticket. Even PAYG seem to get maxed faster with a q jump, even though the orders are only being placed where there is space with BT because other ISPs aren't using their full allocation.

So, raise a ticket and it won't stop your getting an upgrade as normally planned, which should be soonish if you are PAYG. Although so many have that option that it's been stated on the forums that it could take until September to process them all. But it could get you upgraded earlier if you're not at the top of the normal queue.

I agree, the original plan was best, billing date and start date regardless of package apart from Premier who've been paying for up to 16 MB and up to 23 MB, who should all have already been maxed first as a priority.
But when the goalposts were moved, everyone had a choice of joining the q or just waiting. I'd have waited if I could have got 2 MB download without max, but before my line was under 1 MB and there is no cheaper option for that speed, you either pay for double what you can get or leave.

I was thinking of switching ISP, but no LLU where I live so wouldn't get faster, and the package I want still has traffic shaping and it costs more with every ISP I've looked at. Before PlusNet I was with one that now has a 2 GB a month download limit, with no customer service contact online, and a premium number in India if you had a problem. BTW it costs about the same as + Net. and it's listed in many spam black hole lists, so I couldn't get much mail that wasn't dspam, and most of my contacts' ISPs had blacklisted it. Run by good old BT.... :shock:
N/A

Extracting the urine?

Apologies - my initial "oblivious" was intended for original poster, but I'm aware this BB area doesn't do threading.

(I will go back to newsgroups now, where the threading and context is generally clearer, for me at least).
N/A

Extracting the urine?

there are a lot more PAYG than Premier.

Not sure where that idea comes from. James Bailey posted it would take about a month to process all the PAYG customers (at 4500 per week - that suggests some 20,000 total for PAYG out of maybe 200,000 customers, or more by now)

FWIW, I am currently on PAYG. I felt it only reasonable that Plus.Net handle PAYG customers in the way they promised last October, so on that score I was glad they went ahead with that committment.

What they then did was say they would process the "queue jump" entries after PAYG, so I didn't feel it worth submitting a ticket. A few days later that decision was reversed, so it seems, unless it was only put out and not carried out (based on a posting in p.s.c-f). Given the only people aware of the "queue jump" option are those who see announcements and view web discussions, I doubt it will take months to get them all done. The bulk of the time will be in handling 100++ thousand customers, and I assume these are mostly Premier and Broadband Plus (with 50,000 or more on BB Plus).

Anyway, I am switching, so whatever the method of submission for existing PN customers, it will, for me, be a speed change starting the day of my migration.
shellsong
Grafter

Extracting the urine?

James Bailey posted it would take about a month to process all the PAYG customers (at 4500 per week - that suggests some 20,000 total for PAYG out of maybe 200,000 customers, or more by now)

Actually I understand that the 900 per day or 4500 per week is priority upgrades and PlusNet is able to submit an undefined number more that will get actioned in a sort of contention with other ISPs for extra available slots in BT's busy schedule! Wink
N/A

Extracting the urine?

whether priority or not, it was suggested that PAYG customers would take a month to process, which rather countered a suggestion of "it could take until September to process them all." and I still query the idea of "lot more PAYG than Premier"...
N/A

Extracting the urine?

I am on PAYG. I just patiently wait for the upgrade to 8 or whatever my line supports, probably 4.5. I have good consistent speeds circa 1.93Mbps. Not any problems to concern me apart from the email fiasco and the weekend. However I do wonder in which direction Plusnet are heading. Time will tell and customers, including me, will react accordingly. Meanwhile my speeds and usual reliability suit me fine. Smiley
shellsong
Grafter

Extracting the urine?

whether priority or not, it was suggested that PAYG customers would take a month to process, which rather countered a suggestion of "it could take until September to process them all." and I still query the idea of "lot more PAYG than Premier"...

When they first mentioned the "900 per day" figure I estimated that meant it would take about 40 weeks to mop up the entire customer base which represented completion by about January 2007 rather than September 2006 but I guess if they can effectively double up on the 900 per day they might make it-- I'll believe it when I see it though!
mrchalk
Grafter

Extracting the urine?

When they first mentioned the "900 per day" figure I estimated that meant it would take about 40 weeks to mop up the entire customer base which represented completion by about January 2007 rather than September 2006 but I guess if they can effectively double up on the 900 per day they might make it-- I'll believe it when I see it though!

Was thinking along those lines myself... :?