Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External FTP

Galaxy
Grafter

External FTP

I have a couple of accounts to upload via FTP on a server outside of PlusNet

I'm not uploading excessive amounts or sharing anything illegal - just keeping some websites upto date, yet via my PN "Premier" ADSL Connection its like treacle.
Its not the server at the other end as I've connected to it from other connections no problem.

I can then only assume its the cripping of certain protocols on PlusNets network.
This afternoon I've tried to FTP PostNuke to the server, its crawling and hours later its still trying to get there, and I'm having to do it folder by folder to prevent time outs.

Users on better ISPs can connect no problem, but could someone from PlusNet explain why they feel the need to cripple something which is not mindless downloading and essential to what I'm trying to achieve?
16 REPLIES
Saturn
Grafter

External FTP

Personally I think they are unable to control their Ellacoyas.
Galaxy
Grafter

External FTP

Seems that way. It would help if they would even know where certain things fit (i.e Silver or Bronze)

Silver Non-time critical traffic: e.g. file downloads, P2P, Usenet and FTP traffic Moderate - Traffic at broadband speeds, acceptable for file downloads

Bronze Non-time critical traffic: e.g. file downloads, P2P, Usenet and FTP traffic Restricted - Lowest priority traffic at lower than broadband speeds

Silver and Bronze Look the same to me, so how are the two distinguished between the Ellacoyas. Or is that a question with no answer?
Azagoth
Grafter

External FTP

Same problem here, but with FTP downloads. One site I download from quite often has a FTP based file library and I can never get over 4KB/sec download on an 8MB line.

It's a joke when you're trying to grab say a 17MB file and it's going to take an hour and fifteen minutes.
N/A

External FTP

I've mentioned my experience of FTP on Page 3 of the topic which is about unencrypted usenet/p2p/etc... (strange how FTP was missed out of that, seeing as it's lumped in to the same traffic banding)

As yet I've not had any comment from the PN staff in the topic about if 19KB/sec is acceptable or not (hint: it's not acceptable) and it seems to have been dodged at every chance... :?
N/A

External FTP

I raised a ticket about this yesterday

"My FTP upload and download is appalling... it's running slower than a dialup connection. The last time this happened it was down to some sort of traffic shaping... I'm a web developer and ftp is very important... if this is the speed I should expect then I will need to find another ISP. "

Got this reply this morning and I have seen an improvement

"We are aware of a reported problem affecting download speeds when using lower priority protocols such as Peer-to-Peer, Torrents, External FTP and Binary Usenet. A copy of the original report can be found here for your reference:-
http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/1159467707.htm

This mornings maintenence to deploy new signatures across our traffic management platform was successful.

This formed the final part of the work required in order to identify and correctly classify encrypted P2P traffic across our network. This will have a positive effect on the recent problems that have seen slower speeds than expected when using lower priority protocols including unencrypted Binary Usenet, External FTP, P2P and Torrents.

We will be monitoring the performance of the network over the coming days and will close this service status thread once we are satisifed that traffic is being prioritised correctly in accordance with the design of each of our products."
Galaxy
Grafter

External FTP

I raised a ticket about this yesterday

"My FTP upload and download is appalling... it's running slower than a dialup connection. The last time this happened it was down to some sort of traffic shaping... I'm a web developer and ftp is very important... if this is the speed I should expect then I will need to find another ISP. "

I've considered changing ISP as well, this really isnt acceptable, it feels like I could copy what I want to to CD and post it to the server admin and have them copy it over! I think what is keeping me here is the threat of Max DSL.

Currently with PN supposedly if you dont ask for a regrade it wont happen, but if I migrate it'll go max and I'm not going to risk an unrelilable connection, the slow FTP and almost daily DNS timeouts are bad enough I dont wanna have to content with resynching of a line every 3 minutes.

Come on PN get that FTP sorted, its the only thing left I can't move out (having given up on PN Email, webspace etc)
craigbrass
Grafter

External FTP

I thought they had fixed it last night as my FTP was real speedy last night but now...slow as anything!
Saturn
Grafter

External FTP

@flashasp

I bet it improves after midnight.
craigbrass
Grafter

External FTP

Well it was all day yesterday speeds were real good. Lets see if it improves later on. I am even getting slow web browsing speeds at the moment. Come on PlusNet, sort out your ellacoyas or I am off to Zen!
Saturn
Grafter

External FTP

Just hada reply to one of my long standing tickets about this. Apparently PN are 'unaware of any issues'. Unbelievable Evil
craigbrass
Grafter

External FTP

Considering the constant twining we all do about it on the forum, that is just a joke!
N/A

External FTP

Just hada reply to one of my long standing tickets about this. Apparently PN are 'unaware of any issues'. Unbelievable Evil

Seriously? They're obviously not reading this forum, and also the tickets which the CSC are (eventually) replying to then...
craigbrass
Grafter

External FTP

I am starting to think PlusNet staff read from a script when they answer ticket.

Speed Issues
"We are unaware of them" or "We are fixing them"

Connection Issues
"Tiscali will look at it when they can be bothered" Tongue
Galaxy
Grafter

External FTP

Seriously? They're obviously not reading this forum

Probably not, didnt one of their people higher up the PN Chain have a rather public outburst about the so called timewasters on Forums? who also happen to be the people who pay their monthy subs to PN.....