cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External Connection Issues

Kyuuketsuki
Dabbler

I seem to be having a problem connecting to my router from outside my network.

Ever since I have been with F9 (well over a year) I have been able to RDP and FTP to my router and from there either take control of it using RDP or transfer files (albeit slowly) to & from it.

Suddenly, for no apparent reason, FTP is not working (although it IS working within my firewall) and I don't understand why?

Is it possible that F9 have changed something or have slapped some kind of FTP ban on me because I do a lot of d/loading?

Kyu
3 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

It looks like you've hit the peak time usage allowance, details are here:

http://www.f9.net.uk/support/broadband/products/archive/bb_premier1.shtml

You can check your usage by going to View My Usage under Connection Settings on the left. At the this usage level FTP along with P2P and Usenet will be blocked during peak hours.

You should have been sent an email (well a couple actually) you can see a copy under the closed questions in the Help Assistant under Help and Support at the top of the page.
Kyuuketsuki
Dabbler

Hi Pete,

I don't think it can be that ... the reason I say that is because firstly it has never happened before (I have hit peak time usage limits before with F9 and the only thing that happens is that my bandwidth is throttled but not stopped) and secondly I came back to it this morning and the problem has resolved.

I don't know why that is though but thanks for the answer Smiley

Kyu
Kyuuketsuki
Dabbler

FTP Not Working

OK,

So I have low download usage this month but my FTP service (to my Windows 2003 server at home) doesn't work at times. I'm still collecting data the following appears to be true:

* The problem happens ONLY between 6pm and 10 pm at night ... coincidentally this happens to be the 4 hour prime time period F9 operate.
* It only affects those OUTSIDE my network (game players trying to upload files to me) .. the service on my side of the router continues to work at all times.

I think what has happened is that F9 has applied some restrictions to my account, throttling my bandwidth and stopping FTP completely and have somehow failed to reverse that with the reset for a new month (which for me is the 19th). I don't see how it can be a configuration issue on my part since the FTP service continues to function within my private network but fails at a crucial period from outside my network ... my modem doesn't have time based configuration on it so this has to be ISP configurable.

Kyu