cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External Binary Access...Any Potential Issues?

KevH
Grafter

First of all I want to say that I'm not happy with the withdrawl of the binary news service. As a regular but light (typically less than 2Gb/mo) user the service has met my requirements. As long as I caught the posts within 4 days the completion was typically good, and what was missing was fixed with the PARs.

However, with my referrals I am going to struggle to match my current monthly costs by going elsewhere, so like many others I'm going to go to an external binary service. I'm thinking of astraweb (http://www.news.astraweb.com/) which for $25 will give me 90Gb of pay by downloads which should last me more than a year based on my useage patterns.

Before I sign up though, can somebody confirm the following (I'm on 2Mb Premier, never downloaded more than 10Gb in a month...ever):

1. Will I see any traffic shaping with nntp downloads? I do most of my downloading in the evening.
2. Does +net limit the number of connections to astraweb (the PAYG service with them has unlimited "rate limit" to them plus "unlimited" connections)?
3. I use newzbin to get the headers. Any reason why this won't work?
4. Does anybody who uses Astraweb comment on the download speeds?
5. Any other binary usenet subscription based services I should consider?
6. (Difficult one this) Given where +net are heading, how soon before downloading even more than a few Gb/mo will be penalised?

Cheers

Kevin
13 REPLIES
N/A

I signed up to astraweb to provide the fills I required when the plus servers went bad.

In answer to your questions:

1. Will I see any traffic shaping with nntp downloads? I do most of my downloading in the evening.

I did the majority of my downloading overnight, however when I did use them in the evening, speeds were good, I never saw less than 175kb/s and often full line speed - after midnight I always managed to saturate my line 240kb/s.

2. Does +net limit the number of connections to astraweb (the PAYG service with them has unlimited "rate limit" to them plus "unlimited" connections)?

I always use 8 connections to astraweb, this was more than enough to ensure a saturated line.

This works fine, toward the end of the pn server issues, I switched off headers from the plus servers and relied entirely on astraweb, using nb pro also.

As stated above, never seen less than 175kb/s and generally saturates my line at 240kb/s

I'd say for fairly low monthly useage astra is the best value for money you'll find.

6. (Difficult one this) Given where +net are heading, how soon before downloading even more than a few Gb/mo will be penalised?

lol - only time will tell !
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Re: External Binary Access...Any Potential Issues?

Hi,

As far as the network management is concerned external usenet is treated in pretty much the same way as the internal binary feed. So in terms of speed, so long as the news provider can give you the speeds give or take a few kbps it should come down at roughly the same speed as a download from our news server, as a note you find that using more connections to the news server gives you faster speeds.

No, we don't place a limit on the number of connections, that'll be whatever your client and news server support.

Not personally used Astranews, but can say they work fine with Easynews and Yottanews so don't see why not.

Never used it, but someone I know has just signed up and says it's fine.

Plenty, but the only one I've used is Easynews.

That isn't the way things are heading. Part of the idea behind the design of our products and network is to give peak time performance to the light to moderate users and to the latency sensitive applications and to encourage higher usage to off peak hours.

As an aside, if you use less than 10GB per month you may be interested in looking at the 10GB PAYG special offer we've got on at the moment.
KevH
Grafter

(to enjoyproject) Thanks for that.

Think I'll give Astraweb a go. At less than 20p/Gb it seems pretty good value.

I just hope +net don't further penalise the nntp users who are now having to go external to get the biinary posts. Not sure if the increased flow of nntp traffic now coming into +net rather than originating from the internal servers is going to tip the balance somewhere.....

Kev
N/A

I was thinking about Octanews speedcap service, which package can I use at peak time and not get Throttled.

Speed/Con Cons Combined Speed
16KBs 3 48KBps
32KBs 4 128KBps
64KBs 4 256KBps
128KBs 4 512KBps
N/A

Any issues? Well apart from thottling and te complete - here you go cash down the drain - useless bandwiodth from plusnet to giganews over the last week; nope no problems to my knowledge.
N/A

Binary newsgoups

I have been using Giganews.com (silver account) Works out at £7.64 PM and has access to over 99% of newsgroups with a 25GB monthly allowance. You can get an unlimited account with them for about twice as much, still pretty good value. :?: However, only just found out about Plusnets goalpost move of usenet removal. For the last couple of days I have been trying to download via Newzbin (nver any problems before) and it looks like it is working as it always is but the folders are always empty. Not sure if the withdrawel of usenet has had a bearing on this maybe you can help.

Another thing, I use grabit and have just deleted Plusnet as a server to see if this rectifies it but now it wont connect to my Giganews account!!

Can anyone tell me what the profile name and host name is for plusnet under the server properties is so that I can reinstall it!?
Community Veteran

Hi claytone

The PN details are - usenet.plus.net - (no account name or passy)

The deletion of the PN server within "Grabit" shouldn't stop you connecting with another account though :?

Check the "Grabit - Import batch file" dialogue box - it gives you options to import either .NZB or BNS file (BinNews.com), then under that gives you the option to change the server you grab that batch file with.
Of course you can also right click any of the files within the batch window and change the server etc there.

Here I upped a pic for you :- http://www.seventhstar.plus.com/pn/grabit_batch.jpg
N/A

Cheesy
Thanks for that mate - deleted the plusnet server now anyway may be a prob with my Giganews acct - Grabit is getting .RAR files as it should at about 240kbs which is great, my download folder has created a file for the newsgroup it is getting the info from which is the norm but the file is empty even though Grabit says "5 items downloaded" and 11.1% done.

Not had this prob since Plusnet binned usenet so not sure what is going on.

Anyone else experiencing a similar prob with their 3rd party server?
Ianwild
Grafter

Hi,

We have announced the removal of Binary Usenet services next month. We have not touched our current set-up in any way in relation to Usenet.

With Regards,

Ian
Community Veteran

@ claytone

That sounds more like a problem with Grabit.

Have you checked the size of the "cache" folder or "temp" in the Grabit install folder?

I think I read somewhere about a prob with Grabit, where peeps needed to do a full update on the group in question in order to get around the prob you described.
I'm a bit fuzzy on that tbh, but it must be worth a try eh?

Regards
JonathanW
Grafter

Yeah, I've had a similar problem with Grabit in the past as well. It was downloading things but wasn't actually doing anything with the files other than leaving them in the cache folder. In the end I ended up switching to a different client and haven't had any problems since then.

As forus turning off binary usenet, this shouldn't have any effect at all on people downloading from third party servers.
N/A

not had any problems with astraweb, i use there pay server as i brought 90 gig many months ago and still got 60 gig left, sometimes i have got to click retry download on some files, might be a fault with newsbin
N/A

As forus turning off binary usenet, this shouldn't have any effect at all on people downloading from third party servers.

Apart from you costing us more money of course...