cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experiences with moving house please!

N/A

Hi,

We are in a process of selling up and moving away. Just wanted to ask members experiences with moving broadband? We will have a new number so shouldn't be too complicated?

My husband works from home and internet connection is crucial. He couldn't use dialup meanwhile and uses vpn connection to the company's headquarters so public library or internet cafe are out. As we are moving 300 miles away he couldn't even nip out to his co-workers house so smooth transfer is essential.

Am I dreaming? Essentially, I would like to disconnect the service at my old house and reconnect as soon as at my new house(same day maybe?) I am quite happy to give Plusnet 2 months notice if they need it as long as they could guarantee the 1-day transfer.

What are your experiences?

Apart from minor blips I have been quite happy with plusnet but if I needed to wait a week or 2 to reconnect I would rather cancel the service and sign up with new provider at the new address - wouldn't have to worry about mac codes or anything...

Please advise!!!
12 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

Will you be setting up the phone line at the new address before you move? If you can have the phone line active 10 days or so before you move then it makes the process a lot easier and the broadband should be active for when you move in.

If you can't do this (undertstandable if you can't) then there is a symultaneous order process which can be used to activate the broadband and voice service on the same day. It's best in this case to allow at least 2 weeks before you want the service to be active and to contact us to get the ball rolling before speaking to BT about moving the voice service so you can give them the appropriate reference details.
Fixes: 117

My last move went with hiccups due to BT messing things up.

Basically I moved to a new-build property and there was an error in BT's database for the post code. It ended up with BT issuing a new number and waiting for activation on that.

In PN's defence they did all they possibly could to help and sorted out things on their side very expediently.

So, if it is a new-build I suggest you contact the relevant department of the local authority and get the definitive post code and make sure BT are aware of it before you move.

HTH.

Regards

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

If he could use alternative arrangements before you move, I wonder if you should aim to move the broadband a few days beforehand - it would give a window to get things sorted if it does go mammaries elevated.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

Actually we are pretty new to moving as well having never moved before so I have no idea about the logistics of it.

It is not a new build but then again I shouldn't think we can order the phone in before we actually move there (small detail of existing owners living there).

I guess therefore it would make no difference whether we moved the existing contract or started with a new one; it's still down to Bt??

Anyone out there please share your moving experiences? My husband (and his boss) are panicking already as he doesn't have any time to take off - all our hols are booked and he has 1 day of holiday entitlement left - we left that for the move.
N/A

Just re-read the post replies - I am pretty sure we can't order the phone in beforehand as we need it this end...
James
Grafter

You won't need to actually be at your new house when the broadband is being activated, that isn't a problem at all.

However, to minimise on downtime (one week as opposed to potentially two), it would be better if you had a different telephone number to the one that you are currently using.

This is because we would have to cancel the service on your current number (which takes 5-7 working days) and then another 5-7 working days to place the new orders. If your new telephone line has a diffeent number, we should be able to place the order as soon as it is active, rather than having to wait for the service to be cancelled first.
N/A

I was offline from the evening of 3rd January until the afternoon of 18th February.

Joy
N/A

You were offline for 6 weeks?!? Oh my!

Anyway, we would definitively have a new number as we are moving 150 miles away. But what about the line activation for adsl? When we first ordered broadband we waited for 3 weeks for the line to be activated...
James
Grafter

New activations should take 5-7 working days. However, sometimes problems are encountering with BT Wholesale, but hopefully you won't be affected!
N/A

Sorry that wasn't worded very clearly by me!

It was the internet that I was without for all that time - mistakes by BT and Plusnet.
N/A

I can see it won't be as straightforward as I thought. No matter we are off on a holiday last week of April/first week of May so we'll just have to stretch the sale till then and come back from the holiday to a working broadband...well I can dream Smiley
sam
Grafter

Hi zdenka,

Joysd's case was very unusual and the majority of house moves go through with no problems on the correct dates.