cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exhange port capacity

N/A

Exhange port capacity

Hi,

I have checked my exchange LCDAR DAN_DSL_102 and is due 30 June, using the exchange checker the port capacitity is currently amber and capacity for 20:1 contention is low and no ETA date, 50:1 is ok. My query is that I have selected the premier package contention 30:1 how will I know that I will receive 30:1 when only 50:1 is available?.

regards

Ken
8 REPLIES
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

Exhange port capacity

Hi there,

30:1 refers to the advertised contention across our network, not the BT contention at the exchange which will still be 20:1/50:1 depending on whether or not you are on a business or residential package.

Kind Regards,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

N/A

Exhange port capacity

So on your server I will have 30:1 contention/bandwidth but through my exchange I will have 50:1. This puzzles me, so how I do you get 30:1 through a 50:1 contention/bandwidth exchange, surely my contention/bandwidth is determined by the exchange.
N/A

Exhange port capacity

Your contention at your exchange is only one aspect, and just because it's set at 50:1, does not mean your sharing your connection with 49 other people.

After your connection arrives at PN, it's subject to a 30:1 contention ratio.
N/A

Exhange port capacity

Thanks for the reply,
In the end I am in the hands of BT to ensure that for me to get 30:1 that my exchange maintains allocation at 60% (30/50 or no more than 30 sharing) and if it goes above this then a new exchange would be needed (BT would not immediately justify that)

I think that is a dream as BT goal is to increase popularity of broadband and achieve 50:1 and 20:1 for businesses (which my exchange has a low capacity indicating they are close to 20 sharers).

I will watch my exchange port capacity with a view to changing my Plusnet package from Premier to Plus
N/A

Exhange port capacity

It's not actualy a pipe dream.

Most BT exchanges run below 20:1 even on the 50:1 product. 50:1 & 20:1 are just figures that BT must never go over, and gurentee is the maximum contention that will ever be received.

If BT where to load VPs at 50:1 for indefinate periods, people would be moaning, and very loudly. This is the very reason BT run below these figures.
N/A

Exhange port capacity

I take your point, however as I mentioned my exchange is already low on 20:1 capacity so it stands to reason that residentiall will reach the same state as as broadband take up increase.

I will admit there is no definition as what Low actual means is 19 sharers or 10 sharers low who knows

In time BT will state my residential capacity to be low and that will envitably happen how does PlusNet plan ensure me that I will receive 30:1.
N/A

Exhange port capacity

how does PlusNet plan ensure me that I will receive 30:1.

They cant.

Plus Net can only control contention within their network. They have no control over contention BT side.

The contention rates mentioned by Plus Net is a marketing excersise and will always be subject to BT keeping contention levels low at the exchange.

If that contention level increases then the levels controlled by Plus Net have no relevance as such.

Might be a good plan if BT keep up their side of things but at the moment it may be a bit unrealistic in some cases.
N/A

Exhange port capacity

Mark,

True, all I can do is monitor my exchange and when capacity is low and make a judgement call whether to change from premier to plus package.