cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange upgraded but same speed? help wanted!!!

N/A

Ok my exchange was upgraded on friday night from my 500 account to the new 2mb account via the free upgrading program.

The problem is that I can only access the speed of my original 500 account.

My connection speed is showing as 2.2mb but the max speed I can get at downloading is 58-61KB\s, which is the same as before. Since my new speed is 4 times faster my max download speed aught to be about 220KB\s.

I have tested downloading from several sources and still the same max speed from all. So obviously I'm not setup at the Plusnet end of things.

I guess this is an issue experienced by many so can anyone please explain how I can access my new connection speed please?.

tomjones
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Indeed it is an issue experienced by many. BT haven't told plusnet that your upgrade is done so they haven't lifted the throttle on your account. If you give them a ring on the number at the bottom of the page, tell the agent you've been upgraded and ask him (or her) to lift the throttle, then you will need to reboot your modem/router and you'll have 2MB.
N/A

Sorted.

No need to phone support, just reboot your router, I've fiddled the appropriate bits...
N/A

I've had the same problem as well - still only showing 1MB speeds.

when you say reboot the modem- does it just mean unplugging the usb cable, or do you need to restart the computer as well?
N/A

got to say , me to have been upgraded this weekend, but i ahve been tinkering all day today, and i have not gone above my exact same speeds i got on my torents when on old 512kps

for those in the know., this torrent iam dl, had 300 peers, and 145 seeds, for hours on end...now you tell me this...never did it go above 50kps...hell i used to get constant 55+ when i wasnt on 2 meg.

i also want to add this to.

we have all heard these rumours of throttling and the like...wel iam sorry but with my tests ran today, iam 99.9% certain +not are definaltly up to something were p2p is concerend, as i tried 4 big game demos form nvdia site.....using windows default downloader , constant 140kps+ no problem.

also my speed test with +net is a constant 1,80, so come on plus net, i have been using torrents for a while now, and i can assure you now...something is not right.

no way can i go all day trying torrents with 100's of p2p going on, and yet never did i see above 50, all day.
something isnt right, oh and i do know all my settings and the like, i have never seen 100kps+ not even close.

so come on lets have an anser as to just whats going off.
N/A

No need to phone support, just reboot your router, I've fiddled the appropriate bits...

I had to phone support as BT had given no notification.
Community Veteran

Indeed, so did I when I received, mine.
N/A

Just got off the phone to cs a few mins ago and they have informed me things ARE setup there end.

The nice chap on the phone has told me that my speed being the same is likely down to where I'm downloading from being limited the the max 58-61KB\s that I'm getting. But this speed is from using torrent sites which by the number of people seeding\sharing aught to give me the max speed of about 230KB\s and not the 60KB\s that I am getting.

They asked me to do a speed test which I have just done and that confims my speeds as cs are claiming.

After testing a game demo download (from an offical game site)and downloading via a torrent site shows my constant speed in total being about 190KB\s. So the speed is deffo there.

I'm just wandering as been mentioned above why using a torrent client the speed is not faster than it was before fridays upgrade?.

tomjones
N/A

it's not unusual to get slow speeds tom. :lol:

sorry couldn't resist
N/A

Well I'm asking on the torrent site I use as I'm guessing Plusnet are possably blocking certain port no's like I gather AOL do these days?.

tomjones