cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange server 2003 setup for SMTP mail delivery

cockleybarn
Dabbler

I am using SBS 2003 & Exchange to handle mail from PN over direct SMTP.
I understand that I need to a request to the PN mailserver to trigger receipt of mail to my fixed IP address.
Can anyone clarify the settings required?
In particular, I am using TURN authentication with PN user name and password to request from relay.plus.net.
However, incoming emails appear held at PN rather than being delivered to my email server. 'Fingering' autoturn returns a number of queued messages which PN say they have tried to release without success, and now point to my server settings.
5 REPLIES
N/A

Can you not configure the DNS to deliver direct to your Exchange box? I used to have mine configured this way and ran it fine for about 6 months.
cockleybarn
Dabbler

I have run the exchange set up wizard and tried configuring direct. (i.e.without any specified server to provide authentication)

I am still not receiving incoming SMTP mail although there is quite a queue building up when I finger autoturn.

I am unable to discover if PN will deliver direct without any type of authentication, although you suggest that they will?

So it suggests that I have something preventing delivery of SMTP mail to my mail server. I have (temp) turned off the firewall altoghter, but in any case I am able to send SMTP mail, so I assume that port 25 is open.

Any suggestions?
N/A

in your account control panel go to Domain names, select the domain and click Configure. In the Mail Settings tab set the option to Deliver Mail by SMTP to your ip address. Plusnet should then automatically setup the relevant MX for you and mail will be delivered direct to the SMTP server on your Exchange box (provided it's setup correctly!) rather than queuing on Autoturn.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

@cockleybarn

Your server can't be reached on port 25:

Welcome to Microsoft Telnet Client

Escape Character is 'CTRL+]'

Microsoft Telnet> open mail.cockleybarn.plus.com 25
Connecting To mail.cockleybarn.plus.com...Could not open connection to the host,
on port 25: Connect failed

Are you using a router and is it set to forward port 25 to the server?

Have you checked that your firewall is allowing port 25 to be accessed from anywhere?

Edit: Your MX records look OK.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

Cheers Jelv - I was at work so no telnetting...