cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange full? Who's responsible?

N/A

Hi I am posting this on behalf of my parents who have been with plusnet for a number of months.

They recently moved house and kept the plustnet account (broadband) active.

However, it transpired that the exchange at their new location is apparently "full". Now I am no expert in any of this technical stuff, but I used the plustnet exchange checker, and the one on samknows and they both indicate that the exchange is fine (Barry exchange).

My mum contacted plusnet directly to enquire why they hadn't been connected, but was simply told that it was a problem with BT and not an issue for plusnet.

My mum contacted BT who then said there was nothing that they could do and that she should follow it up with plusnet!!

So basically my mum has been left in the lurch, and has been forced to revert to a plusnet dialup account.

What can she do about this? Is this an issue that she should follow up with Plusnet? Or should she try BT?

Any advice and help is gratefully appreciated because I'm sure that you can appreciate how painful it is using dialup again after the speeds of broadband.

Many thanks
8 REPLIES
N/A

In short, its down to BT.

Plus Net place the order with BT Wholesale and its up to them to act on it. If there is no capacity at your exchange, then even with the best will in the world, Plus Net are powerless to physically fix this situation.

Until BT get around to increasing capacity at the exchange (which they will) there is nothing you can do.

There is no-one in BT you can talk to about this really. BT Retail only deal with the voice side of your line and BT Wholesale will only speak to ISP's.

The long and the short of it is, that all you can do is sit tight. All and any ISP will be in the same boat, including BT Broadband.
Saturn
Grafter

But the exchange is fine :?

I suggest you raise a ticket with Plusnet and ask them to explain what the problem is. You could also contact one of the Comms team that post in this forum and ask them if they could help.
N/A

No, the checkers show the exchange is fine, but those checkers are notoriously slow at being updated by BT.

They cannot really be relied on.
Saturn
Grafter

So where are you getting your info from?
Community Veteran

notoriously slow at being updated by BT.

Now there is a line that could cover a multitude of issues in the Broadband world! :lol:

It is about time that Oftel forced BT to be responsible to customers for its failings in the broadband market. Its mainly down to this profiteering dinosaur (and consecutive governments) that we in the UK are now starting to fall behind in the electronic communications age.

The predicament this OP, or more correctly his parents, find themelves in is just another shining example of the general public beng left high and dry (and out of pocket I may add) by a system that is completely lacking in support for the end users.

BT leave PN to take the flak, and then provide PN with tardy, unreliable and all but useless updates to take back to the customer.

It beggars beleif that this is allowed to continue - perhaps the setting up of an ISP union to tackle BT will be the way to fix things?

Or perhaps the increase in LLU providers will start to hit BT where it hurts, enough to make them wake up and take responsibility for the woes of this countries BB network.

/another chesterfield rant.
Saturn
Grafter

Well both BT retail and BT Wholesale seem to think it is ok to supply ADSL to a Barry phone number (the Town Council as it happens). Not a particularly scientific test but how do we know that there wasn't some miscommunication and the advice that there isn't sufficient capacity isn't wrong?

That's 4 sources of info all saying there isn't a problem. Still no guarantee, but I personally wouldn't just throw the towel in at this stage.
___oDiN__
Grafter

its about time bt wholesale were made to come up and face the music and be contactable by the joe public. im damn sure more issue would be dealt with in a more speedy fashion if they had to speak to the enduser rather than hiding behind isp contact only. isps wont rant and complain to them like the joe public would if they get a shoddy service
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

Unfortunately if the exchange has no capacity then there is little that we can do. As has been said the data on places like Usertools and Samknows can be behind what's actually happening at an exchange. Sometimes the no capacity flag shows up if there's something wrong at the exchange (I've seen it for example where an exchange had asbestos found and had to be closed).

If you want to let me have the username of the account I can take a look to see if there's anything we can do.