cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange: Virtual Paths are Red and never get fixed.

SamP
Grafter

Can anyone advise me how to escalate this problem?

When I use the Exchange checker
http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/
it shows the virtual paths for my exchange (Talywain, Code SWTAJ) as Red ("Huston, we have a problem.").
It also shows the estimated date by which they aim to fix it.

Well that sounds good. BT know there is a problem & their highly skilled chaps are beavering away, pausing only to have an assistant wipe the sweat from their brow, to fix it and get everything back to full operation.

If only.

I first tried the exchange checker back in mid November - it showed this problem & gave me the date by which it would be fixed.
The only thing BT have done over the months is to shift the estimated completion date to the right - Oh! and to delete any mention of just how long this problem has been running - to save them some embarassment.

Please note that I only stumbled over this back in November - this problem could be much older than that.

I can, however, now report some progress.

BT have now stopped bothering to change the estimated completion date. Although we are now in early March, the estimated fix date is 16th Feb (next year perhaps?).

Any suggestions on how to tackle this?

Please note: Not a single negative comment about +net.
15 REPLIES
James
Grafter

Hi,

I'll ask internally about this. Can't make any promises, but I'll see if we have any way of escalating this sort of issue.
SamP
Grafter

2 minutes to get a reply. It's an outrage!

Seriously though. Thanks very much for a prompt response.

Good luck.
jazz
Grafter

I know the feeling - I have been checking the Chorley, Lancashire Exchange since last September. It always shows red with an ETA fix of 2 weeks hence but now has got stuck on a fix by 22 Feb (which year though??)
fotobits
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

My exchange is the same, red all year and the fix-date is moved forward every 2-weeks.

Regards......Noel
fistsbs
Grafter

I have the same problem with my exchange all last month and still waiting for it to be fixed

Have very slow down load and all most no upload speed.

blyth exchange

holdtight
Grafter

Hi james

While your about it and if you have time etc can you also check or try to push forward the repair status of THGG Godalming Surrey

The exchanges virtual path status has been red for months and like others here the ETA fix date just keeps getting shunted forward every couple of weeks

Cheers

Bill.
Community Veteran

No ISP can 'push forward' any repairs (they are actually upgrades not repairs) that BT are doing. BT do the upgrades on their own schedule.

Also be be aware the exchanges have many VPs and the status goes red/amber when at least one is running near or at its limits. An exchange being red does not mean speeds will be affected at all times, it will tend to be during busy times.

As for why some exchanges appear to be on a red status for long periods, BT will have upgraded those that originally caused the red status but it is lilely other VPs on the exchange have reached their limits since the last update to the exchange database. With the volume of new connections and as usage increases, more and more VPs will go red and be scheduled for upgrades as a result. Having a long period of red status does not mean BT are not doing the upgrades, it just means the exchange is very busy.
N/A

Also traffic across BT VP's will reduce when more users are LLU'ed.
N/A

I'd appreciate an update on the Blunsdon exchange, due to be fixed on 1/3/07 but still showing amber and last night I acheived a massive 29kbps!
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Re: Exchange: Virtual Paths are Red and never get fixed.

Please note that I only stumbled over this back in November - this problem could be much older than that.

There's a little known trick to get the full history, on the exchange checker url add &full=1 to the end, for example

http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/?exchange=Talywain&exact=1912&plugin=vp&full=1
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

As for why some exchanges appear to be on a red status for long periods, BT will have upgraded those that originally caused the red status but it is lilely other VPs on the exchange have reached their limits since the last update to the exchange database. With the volume of new connections and as usage increases, more and more VPs will go red and be scheduled for upgrades as a result. Having a long period of red status does not mean BT are not doing the upgrades, it just means the exchange is very busy.

I think kitz worked out the other day that the average is about 5 DSLAMs per exchange with some of the bigger exchanges having a dozen or more DSLAMs. So if they still have the traditional set up of four VPs per DSLAM that's 20-50 VPs at some of these exchanges yet the as you say the red will just show up if one VP is red so it can easily show as red for a long time but with only one or two VPs affected at any one time.

Then there are the sub-tended exchanges which may show as red because either their link to the main exchange is contended or because the main exchange's links are contended (or both).
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

I'd appreciate an update on the Blunsdon exchange, due to be fixed on 1/3/07 but still showing amber and last night I acheived a massive 29kbps!

Our data comes direct from BT each week with the data usually being about a week behind so I'd have thought the checker will get an update to whether this was done or the date changed in the next week or so.
holdtight
Grafter

Re: Exchange: Virtual Paths are Red and never get fixed.

There's a little known trick to get the full history, on the exchange checker url add &full=1 to the end

Thats very useful Dave thanks !
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

If you add &etashow=yes&full=1 you get all the eta history as well.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)