cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange Status Red for Two weeks

UberMensch
Grafter

My exchange has been rated as "Red" for about two weeks now. I've done three or four fault checks, but nothing has been done. The post code is SO197AL if that helps. If not, could you tell me what details you need?

I'm posting from my backup dial up account, which is speedier than the broadband one :x

Please can someone give BT a boot up the arse to get them going!
27 REPLIES
James
Grafter

Hi,

In all honesty, that's not particularly unheard of, but I wouldn't expect you to have an unusable experience.

Is your fault entirely speed related?
UberMensch
Grafter

Yes. I can connect fine, and gaming was good too (7ms ping!), but browsing and downloading is impossible. I have already completely disabled my firewalls for a few minutes to make sure things weren't getting lost, but there was no change.

As I said, the only way I can browse is using the dial up account.

Oh yeah, thanks for the VERY speedy response Cheesy
James
Grafter

Have you run the BT and other Speedtesters? There's some info in my sticky at the top of this forum, which may help.
UberMensch
Grafter

I've run BT's one through PlusNet's connection, but not the BT connection. I haven't done any other speed tests, mainly because I physically can't.
James
Grafter

How slow is it reporting your connection to be?
UberMensch
Grafter

Here's one I've just done:

The speed test has completed on test server test.speedtester.bt.com for user - and you have downloaded a 1.7Mb file at a speed of

89 kilo bits per second (Kbps), your service bandwidth will have been quoted to you in kilo bits per second.

Your IP address is -, your browser is reported as being Mozilla 5.0 and is running on Windows XP.

For 250kbps End Users speeds between 50 - 250kbps.
For 500kbps End Users speeds between 100 - 500kbps.
For 1000kbps End Users speeds between 200 - 1000kbps.
For 2000kbps End Users speeds between 400 - 2000kbps.

To be honest, OUCH.

The highest speed I've had here (PlusNet) is ~1800kbps. I think 89kbps is the slowest. I usually average at 500kbps Sad
James
Grafter

That's horrible. But, I don't think it's exchange contention related. I can't see exchange contention haveing quite that much of an effect, and would suggest that it might be line/hardware related instead.

Have you tried connecting to your test socket, changing filters and trying a different modem, where possible?
UberMensch
Grafter

I can't connect directly to the test socket, I will have to use an extension.

I'll try using the modem.
James
Grafter

It would be ideal if you can find someway of testing from at least your master socket, as the extension could potentially be the cause of the problem.

Let me know how you get on with your modem.
Community Veteran

Can you use an extension cable to get to the test socket inside the master socket?
If you can do this then you are removing any other internal perminent phone wires to help isolate the problem?
UberMensch
Grafter

I'm posting from the BT Voyager modem that came with the package now, but it's still no better than dial up. I'll change the microfilter next.

Ah, by extension, I meant a cable plugged directly into the master socket, not another socket in the house.
James
Grafter

Basically, I can raise this to BT, but they will ask that you connect directly to the master/test socket via a filter. If they are forced to send an engineer, and the cause of the problem is your extention, then you may be liable to a charge.

Up to you Smiley
Community Veteran

Thats fine but its even better if you can unscrew the face plate of the master socket and go directly into the test socket inside it.
Anything else is then removed. Smiley
UberMensch
Grafter

Basically, I can raise this to BT, but they will ask that you connect directly to the master/test socket via a filter. If they are forced to send an engineer, and the cause of the problem is your extention, then you may be liable to a charge.

Up to you Smiley

The master socket is in the hall, and there's no way of getting a computer there to test it, which is why I have to use an extension lead.

The reason why I think it's an external problem is because gaming is fine. Remote Console is fine. FTP is fine, depending on the server (1000Mbps is obviously going to be lightning quick compared to 100Mbps). The only things I'm having problems with are Web Browsing and Remote Desktop (mstsc).