Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange Red, am I stuffed?

Carpa_Bob
Dabbler

Subject says it all really.

In the past few months my speed improved quite a bit, especially considering I do download quite a bit each month.

Then on Monday it all went horribly wrong, web pages loading noticeably slower, P2P becoming diabolical (example a torrent started at 7am last week would finish by lunchtime, similar torrent this week would still only be at 50% by 4pm when my scheduler stops it anyway).
Another example may mate downloaded the Shivering Isle exp' for Oblivion (on Xbox Live) and it took him maybe an hour or two. I tried the same download and it took upward of 10 hours.

So I start looking through some of the tools that PN supply and discover my Exchange is rated as RED - so the following applies "BT is reporting that some of the virtual paths at this exchange are not operating within BT Wholesale's planning guidance, although they are still operating within the product specification.

At busy times, your ADSL connection may operate at a reduced speed, although not all customers on your exchange may be affected. You should only contact support if there is no current ETA date set.

The ETA fix time is: 01 Apr 07"

A check of BT's speedtester results in -
"Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 250 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 352 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 209 kbps"

So I get that a problem with contention would lower my actual throughput but why is my IP profile set so low. 250 kbps is a significant drop from the 7156 (roughly) kbps that I've been used to.

Am I stuffed until the exchange gets sorted or is there someone I can speak to, to sort this out.

Oh and the account I'm on is the PlusNet Broadband Premier Option 2.
19 REPLIES
Zathras
Grafter

Ive been on a red exchange for many months ,it doesnt always mean you get a bad speed, i rarely go under 1.5mb and Im on a 2mb line.

You need to post your line stats as your ip profile is very poor.
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,

If this was just an exchange issue your IP profile would not be affected, you would just see slower speeds (mostly at peak times).

The fact that your IP profile has dropped right down explains the poor speeds, but means that there is something from your ADSL equipment to the exchange which has caused this.

Have you added anything new (an extension, an unfiltered device etc) around the house recently? Has anything else changed on the line? Is the line ok for voice calls?
Carpa_Bob
Dabbler

May take some fiddling for me to get those as I'm connected to Linksys router and from that to a Linksys modem. The router doesn't want to tell me anything useful so I'm going to have to plug the modem direct into this PC.
N/A

Shouldn't need to do that. You should be able to communicate to the modem via the router in the same way if it's plugged into the PC.
Liam
Grafter

Hi there,

I've just tried calling you regarding this. Something certainly looks amiss.

Something has caused a very large drop in your sync speed, which has lowered your BRAS and IP Profile. Based on those speedtest results, it doesn't look like your sync speed has increased - and our reports aren't showing an increase in your BRAS profile either.

Have you introduced anything new into your setup? Any new equipment on the line? New phones? Sky Boxes? Fax Machines etc...?

I quote from another thread I've just posted to. Can you do the following?

Couple of things to try.

1) Are you plugged into the master telephone socket in your home? If not, can you try it plugged directly into the master socket?

2) Are you able to unplug all other equipment from the line to see if the same thing continues to happen. This would include telephones, faxes, Sky boxes etc.. etc..

3) If it continues after you have done 1 and 2, is there any way you could try with an alternative modem or router - just to rule out any potential issue with the equipment itself?

This will eliminate any internal factors (as BT will only cover from their equipment upto the master socket. It will also rule in or out any dodgy microfilters that you might have connected.

If those tests are possible, let me know how they go and we can raise a fault through to BT if it still happens.

Do let me know how it goes...
JonnyF
Grafter

Just a thought, since I also have experienced a similar issue.

My exchange was also showing VC capacity issues to be fixed on the 26th March in my case.

On the 26th March to the very day I noticed a drop in D/L speeds.

It turns out that on this same day (after 12 months of 100% stable conditions) my line SNR target was altered from the default 6db to 12db, hence the drop in sync speed.

I'm sure the two are related. It could also be that for you, on the 1st April (very fitting) the SNR target was also adjusted.

I just wonder if things get reset in the exchange at the same time as the VC "upgrades".

May be worth investigating +net?

Cheers,

Jon.
James
Grafter

Jon,

I've been having a look into this and it's going to be more problematic than we first thought. I've run a couple of tests and they're showing you having a downstream noise margin of 12dB. This in itself isn't an issue as we can request this to be changed.

However, the problem that we are encountering is that BT's Provisioning and Faults system is showing both your telephone number and circuit number as a ceased asset, which is obviously rubbish as I can run tests on it! We'll need to pick this up next week when BT are around and I can spak to someone else who might be able to help.
Carpa_Bob
Dabbler

Hi there,

I've just tried calling you regarding this. Something certainly looks amiss.

Something has caused a very large drop in your sync speed, which has lowered your BRAS and IP Profile. Based on those speedtest results, it doesn't look like your sync speed has increased - and our reports aren't showing an increase in your BRAS profile either.

Have you introduced anything new into your setup? Any new equipment on the line? New phones? Sky Boxes? Fax Machines etc...?

I quote from another thread I've just posted to. Can you do the following?

Couple of things to try.

1) Are you plugged into the master telephone socket in your home? If not, can you try it plugged directly into the master socket?

2) Are you able to unplug all other equipment from the line to see if the same thing continues to happen. This would include telephones, faxes, Sky boxes etc.. etc..

3) If it continues after you have done 1 and 2, is there any way you could try with an alternative modem or router - just to rule out any potential issue with the equipment itself?

This will eliminate any internal factors (as BT will only cover from their equipment upto the master socket. It will also rule in or out any dodgy microfilters that you might have connected.

If those tests are possible, let me know how they go and we can raise a fault through to BT if it still happens.

Do let me know how it goes...

Well nothing has been added to the line between last week when everything seemed to be fine and this week when I found I suddenly had the low IP profile.

First noticed a problem last Saturday when I found that there noise on the phone line, but at the time I wasn't really using the PC for anything so didn't notice any difference to my broadband speeds.

Another "problem" I have is that the modem/router and PC are all upstairs while the Master Socket is downstairs. Rather than lug my damn heavy PC downstairs I'm going to give a mate a ring and get him to bring his laptop over, plug that into the modem and check line stats. Then take the laptop modem downstairs and plug it into the master socket and check line stats again
Liam
Grafter

Do you still get noise on your phone line? If you pickup the receiver and just press a button - can you hear noise?

If so, you need to report that as a line fault directly with BT Retail yourself on 151. The likelyhood is that their fixing of that problem will resolve the fault with the broadband side of your line.
Carpa_Bob
Dabbler

Do you still get noise on your phone line? If you pickup the receiver and just press a button - can you hear noise?

If so, you need to report that as a line fault directly with BT Retail yourself on 151. The likelyhood is that their fixing of that problem will resolve the fault with the broadband side of your line.

Yeah the noise on the line is still there. Tried unplugging everything on Thursday, and checking different combinations of things plugged into the master socket, but even when there was just one phone plugged into the socket the noise was there - just a little fainter.

Figured it was a line fault but wanted to get a few ideas here on what to test as I would like to be sure that if we call BT out their not going to turn around and point the finger at cabling/modem/filter as the culprit and charge us for doing nothing much.
Liam
Grafter

Yep. Sounds like you need to report this to BT Faults on 151. Once they have resolved it, if you still have a problem with the ADSL service then we can look into that and get it resolved seperately.
Carpa_Bob
Dabbler

Well I have had a little movement on this problem now, but nothing that resolves it.

Did some of the initial tests, face plate off the master socket and trying half a dozen combinations of devices in the test socket with nothing conclusive.

So called BT who said there was no fault they could see, but asked them for an engineer anyway. He came out and ran his test and basically said as far as he is concerned everything is fine from the exchange up to the master socket. Plus if you plug a phone direct into the master socket there is no noise on the line, plug a filter in and there is noise.

Before the engineer came out we tried replacing basically everything internal - so filters/phones and extension cable. After he came I have also switched modem to a new Netgear DG834PN. This has given me the following stats.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 320 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 15.5 db 19.5 db
Noise Margin 12.9 db 22.0 db

Add to that the fact that the btspeedtest now tells me that my ip profile is set at 135kbps, and I'm a tad frustrated with whats happening.

I've done everything I think I can, BT seems to have done what they can (be arsed to do), so I'm hoping PN can find a solution for me.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

There's definately something very odd here. The attenuation on the line is very good (lower than mine and my line syncs at 8128kbps) but yet the line speed is very low (but probably right for the SNR if BT have set a target SNR of 12dB).

Do you have anything else connected to the line (e.g. hard wired extension cables or alarm system, sky box, analogue modem, fax machine), if so remove it all from the line and connect the Netgear to the test socket without a filter if you can and see what it syncs at. If it's higher than try adding everything back one item at a time and see when the sync rate drops. If it's the same then raise a fault via the fault checker under connection settings on the left and we'll run some remote line tests and we should be able to raise it BT Wholesale.
Carpa_Bob
Dabbler

There's definately something very odd here. The attenuation on the line is very good (lower than mine and my line syncs at 8128kbps) but yet the line speed is very low (but probably right for the SNR if BT have set a target SNR of 12dB).

Do you have anything else connected to the line (e.g. hard wired extension cables or alarm system, sky box, analogue modem, fax machine), if so remove it all from the line and connect the Netgear to the test socket without a filter if you can and see what it syncs at. If it's higher than try adding everything back one item at a time and see when the sync rate drops. If it's the same then raise a fault via the fault checker under connection settings on the left and we'll run some remote line tests and we should be able to raise it BT Wholesale.

Thanks I will give that a try this evening.