cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange DSLM's

N/A

Exchange DSLM's

Hi
I used the usertool to check which DSLM I am on at my exchange when I joined plusnet a couple of months ago to get an idea when the upgrade to 4mb might take place ( as I had taken a gamble that £29.99 for two months rather than go through the downgrade upgrade pocess was worth it). I just checked again an this has been pushed back a month (no surpise there) but I noticed I was now on another DSLM. Is it normal to be moved ? I also noticed another DSLM had been added to the list and this is currently being worked on (in theory anyway) which is described as DSL rather than ADSL What is the significance of this?
http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/?exchange=Farnborough%20(kent)&exact=373&plugin=upgrade
Thanks
Best regards
Doug
16 REPLIES
LiamM
Grafter

Exchange DSLM's

Upgrades to 4Mb are currently not officially planned.

Trials are currently ongoing, with a public release due around year end. But nobody really knows when BT will be doing it.

The Upgrade information on the exchange checker refers to the mass 2Mb upgrades, nothing more. It is likely we'll see a similar senario again with 4/8Mb exchange upgrades - occurring over a 5 month period or so. Pushing many people into beginning of 2006.

The fact Plusnet are offering, and charging customers for a 4Mb service when they simply cannot provide it is a subject of much discussion on these forums. I do not agree with them doing so personally.

I would certainly not have advised signing up to 4Mb at this stage, I would have advised signing up to 2Mb, and then upgrading to 4Mb when available.
hangover
Grafter

Exchange DSLM's

Some more questions on a similar topic ...

My BT phone number is not recognised by the Exchange Checker. My girlfriend suggests this may be because we are ex-directory and therefore BT are not allowed to pass the details on to PlusNet - does anyone know if this is the case? And if so, is there any other way I can find out which DSLAM I am on?

Entering my phone number into the ADSL Broadband Availability Checker on http://www.bt.com/broadband/ tells me I should be able to get 2Mbps. Is this likely to be accurate and, if so, why am I still getting 512? I've read other users on this forum saying that there modem was syncing at 2Mbps but being throttled by PlusNet at 512 because BT hadn't informed them of the upgrade - is there anyway I can find out whether this is the case with my modem?
LiamM
Grafter

Exchange DSLM's

Even if you are ex-directory, the checker should be able to determine your exchange and your DSLAM (if the number you entered is the one you use to connect to Plusnet with).

I am also ex-directory - and everything works fine.
hangover
Grafter

Exchange DSLM's

Thanks Liam. The number is the one I use to connect to Plusnet but is definitely not recognised by the Exchange Checker.

I just phoned BT to ask them which DSLAM I'm connected to but they say that they are unable to tell me and that I will have to get Plusnet to phone their wholesale department.
LiamM
Grafter

Exchange DSLM's

Send your telephone number and exchange in a PM to 'dtomlinson' on the boards. He has all the data, but some numbers did not get imported correctly. He will be able to tell you which DSLAM you're connected to.
hangover
Grafter

Exchange DSLM's

Thanks again Liam, will do.
N/A

Exchange DSLM's

Right, there are a few questions here.

When you say it is not recognised by the exchange checker, do you mean it can't find your exchange, or that it doesn't tell you which DSLAM you are one?

If it can't find your exchange, this may be caused by a ported number. This is where a customer moves from one provider to another, normaly from cable (NTL, Telewest).

If it can't tell you which DSLAM you are on, there is one of two possible reasons.

1: You have only recently moved to broadband, in which case, the information was not available to Usertools when data was imported.

2: You are one of the rare customers that was not mass exported.

Contact Dave as noted above for both of these problems.

I used the usertool to check which DSLM I am on at my exchange when I joined plusnet a couple of months ago to get an idea when the upgrade to 4mb might take place ( as I had taken a gamble that £29.99 for two months rather than go through the downgrade upgrade pocess was worth it). I just checked again an this has been pushed back a month (no surpise there) but I noticed I was now on another DSLM

Right, there are a few issue you have brought up here, that need addressing.

1: You won't be getting 4Mb as part of these upgrades. The free upgrades only apply to "upto" 2Mb speeds. 4 & 8Mb product are not yet available.

2: You claim you have been moved DSLAM. I find this very very unlikely.

The only changes that have taken place in the last 48 hours, is to import the new set of dates and DSLAMs.

Information on which DSLAM each customer is assigned to has not been changed in any way, as it does not apply.

The only connection they have with each other, is that a Customer is on one of those DSLAMs, and it shows the date of the said DSLAM.
hangover
Grafter

Exchange DSLM's

Thanks Philip. It can't find my exchange (I can obtain the exchange my entering my postcode but not the DSLAM).

I've contacted Dave and, as you suggest, it looks like it is because my BT number was originally a cable (Telewest) number. He is going to try to find out my DSLAM and let me know later in the week.
N/A

Exchange DSLM's

I don't claim anything, I noted down tha DSLAM I was on when I joined and I checked again today and it was different.
I would suggest you look here as I am not the only one .
http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=29764
Regards
Doug

2: You claim you have been moved DSLAM. I find this very very unlikely.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Exchange DSLM's

Hi,

It is possible that a customer has changed DSLAM's. The normal reason would be because of a cease and reprovide, but I have seen lines moved (not very often) from one DSLAM to another during maintenance work.
N/A

Exchange DSLM's

Thanks Dave,
Good to get a response that does not assume one is making things up, perhaps you could post your reply to the chap who has also come across this in the other thread.
Regards
Doug
LiamM
Grafter

Exchange DSLM's

Oh right, I wasn't aware that the data on usertools was live data.

According to Phil, only the Dates for each DSLAM has been updates, not peoples DSLAM's, which is why I was led to believe that it wouldnt have been possible for the DSLAM to be showing differently.

Apologies.
N/A

Exchange DSLM's

BT are obviously makeing a right mess of the upgrades as data from several exchanges has been updated yesterday showing that the estimated upgrade dates have moved by at least a month. My own exchange has three DSLAM's with orignal dates of 2 x June and 1x July, yesterday they have all been changed to 2 x July and 1 x August (I am on the August DSLAM of course) and to top it off the exchange VP capacity is now showing red! It has never been amber before never mind red. Absolutely no hope as far as I am concerned of BT getting this sorted quickly.

I reckon we will all be waiting a lot longer for our 'free' upgrades as BT can simply change goal posts at will witthout any reasons or updates provided to ISP's. I reckon they have probably bitten of more than they can cope with in the time frame originally announced.

Even my orignal phone number data has changed from saying I would have no problem getting a 2MB connection to definitly no 2MB but it might be possible to get 1MB. Also it even says there is a problem with the line! I only live 1.9 Km from the exchange as well. I am sure they are changing peoples connections and routing around without the customers knowledge?
N/A

Exchange DSLM's

Interesting that staff will comment on DSLAMS but say nothing about when they will pay dividends on the money they are taking from people to be first in the queue for the 4 MB upgrade.

PN staff....any comments about why you take the money and when you can deliver the goods?