cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exceeding monthly download limit

N/A

Hi, please help, I'm not a techie and not very computer literate so please bear with me!

Ok, my monthly download limit has always been 2gb, which I have hardly ever exceeded. However this month I have exceeded 10gb!!!!! I do not file share or download any large files/videos/music. I have run adware, spyware, mcafee, norton and avg..........all of which have reported no problems. I have left my pc off for a full day and plusnet have confirmed my usage for that day was zero. I do not have a wireless router. So what can the problem be? as I'm really at a loss to work out why this is happeningHuhHuh? any assistance would really be appreciated, thanks in advance
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I did that once - traced it to using Firefox to view the Plusnet webcams.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

Further thought: You could monitor activity using NetMeter
N/A

thanks for the advice, I'll give it a go!
Community Veteran

What firewall do you use?
N/A

Norton and i've recently downloaded avg
N/A

could you also just briefly explain how firefox works, thanks. I've download the netmeter but it there any way of finding the name of the source of activity rather than just usage totals?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

I am not familiar with the latest Norton Firewall but does it have the option to show the active network applications and traffic.
Community Veteran

could you also just briefly explain how firefox works, thanks. I've download the netmeter but it there any way of finding the name of the source of activity rather than just usage totals?

Firefox is a browser (replacement to Internet Explorer).

With Netmeter you should be able to see if there is network activity (and how much) when you think there should be none.
shellsong
Grafter

Firefox is a browser like Internet Explorer but, arguably, better and with less security problems. I would imagine the trouble elvin had was that he looked at the PlusNet webcam then left the tab open while he browsed elsewhere and for some reason the webcam page kept being refreshed, clocking up some major downloading usage over a period of time!
JonathanW
Grafter

With regards to the Firefox issues mentioned above, this was due to a bug in the browser that ment that webcams kept running even if you closed the tab. Though I believe that this has since been fixed.
N/A

I have now downloaded itcan.net to view my daily usage, how do you know what is being uploaded? Under the data transfer the upload total (45mb approx) transferred today is double what the download usage is (22mb approx). What kind of data would be uploaded from my pc? confused :?

Is this normal? as previoulsy explained I do not use any file sharing sites or download music/video's etc
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Its not normal unless you are using some form of P2P.
I suggest you open Norton (I assume its the firewall you have) and go into the Firewall Settings, Program Control and check which programs have permission to access the internet. You can then selectively block access. Alternatively remove most of the programs from the list and when Norton asks for permission you can decide whether to allow access or not. I don't recommend blocking or deleting any of the Norton/Symantec programs
N/A

thanks for the info, I had a go at it last night be problem is still persisting! So I guess its back to the drawing board tonight :?