cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ex-PlusNet Network Engineer - whistle blower

N/A

Hi

I have been concerned for sometime now that the view my usage chart doesn't reflect my usage, and that it I have been diddled in some way !

I now read here that a former PlusNet network engineer has raised capacity concerns about PlusNet's centrals and performance issues with E-Mule and E-Donkey.

Tim Thorne also claims that more usage is showing up on the VMU tool than has actually been transferred.

Would PlusNet confirm this please?

Thank you
127 REPLIES
LiamM
Grafter

It is interesting stuff indeed.... but somehow I don't think we'll see anything forthcoming from Plusnet.
Alecto
Grafter

Re: Ex-PlusNet Network Engineer - whistle blower

:lol: Yes, course they will. :lol:
N/A

Re: Ex-PlusNet Network Engineer - whistle blower

Not just yet- the protests are not even out of control. Wink :lol:
N/A

Well it's always polite to ask isn't it? Wink

If PlusNet can not or will not confirm this would they deny it?
N/A

If people the display is out by quite a bit, but the actual totals used to send out e-mail notices is different, then there shouldn't too much to worry about.

However, if e-mails are send out using known faulty data, then it could be deemed that Plus.Net are commiting fraud.
LiamM
Grafter

My theory is this.... Plusnet will wait and see if it all blows over... if it does, then they wont need to comment. If it doesn't, then we'll have the same old mediocre words but no action as we've seen previously.

In Plusnet's view, they have enough capacity. They base that on their economic calculations, but it's clear the network is underperforming, and not performing as it should be based on clean to / sup etc.....

Clean To IS a load of rubbish....

If Plusnet wish to carry on using their method of calculating the required "budgeted bandwidth" under the "product design" then they need to change their product descriptions and policies to match this, change their clean to policies and bandwidth allowances and just face the facts that they cannot provide the service that they would like to.

It's all very well advertising clean to 20gb, but clean is far from clean.

Once peak goes to 4pm - midnight this situation will get worse, and are Plusnet going to add capacity to cope?

If Plusnet were making money when they were over capacity last year (which they were, their financial figures were very strong) why don't they keep running their network over capacity at the same proportions?
N/A

as you said yourself martinfamily, there basiing there calculations on economics rather than the actual requirements which seems to be ignored.

For example

Economics currently state they need 2.7Gbit of bandwdith which clearly isnt enough and they damned well know it.

The thing is there hiding behind this word "Economics" which is really quite pathetic tbh. They arnt providing the service they advertise to a significant number of people

Clean to = "well its cleaner than it used to be." < bollocks, Back in the day when we simply had gold silver bronze and bronze was p2p /usenet all day i got faster speeds on usenet/torrents etc than i do now.

I think that says something. Shaping that was definatly having an effect but still producing better results than the current implimentation.

They just added an extra 155, which i assume were using because as far as i know metronet customers havent been ported over yet? and things havnt improved at all. Actually they seem to have got worse.

Just as a comparision.

For teh same torrent, connecting to the same peer.

with encryption enabled i can download of this peer at 40K/s
with a non encrypted client i get about 1k/s tops.

I've bene monitoring torrents and this seems to be the case that encrypting and tunneling is producing much better results.

Usenet and FTP are generally fine although during peak times i've noticed there still getting slower and slower month on month. Now peak time average is around 195K/s

Meh. Plusnet really need to wake up.
N/A

( Pardon me as im a little ill atm and so spelling and thinking may not be fully engaged ).

I have for a while thought there is something a little funny about how everything was being managed and also on how lines were affected. I gave Plusnet the benefit of the doubt really.

But what im annoyed with most is the fact that Pn have been unable to communicate a single bit of truth to us unless forced to due to the overall userbase vibe.

If they are planning on going into competition with Tiscali *SPITS* and want to be able to provide the slowest most congested service possible then the least they could have done is told us.
Im sure many of us wouldnt have minded at all had the truth been told. We would have simply got our wits about us, requested our MACS and gone.

The way I see it ( although I am staying put and seeing what transpires in the mean time ) is that Plusnet are the cause of their own problems.

Anyway back to bed for me before the wife gets mardy that im on the computer while being ill.

Regards,
N/A

I gave Plusnet the benefit of the doubt really

Many of us do or at least did Tom.

Unfortunately,lately, I find myself scratching my head more often than nodding in agreement with Plus Net.

There are some things I simply cant get my head around.
N/A

I have been seing much the same. I don't use bit torrent very often, but as an expirement I tried downloading a Knoppix distro last night at about 8pm and after 15 minutes was stuck at about 65KB\s. The slowly rising and cranking down of the traffic shapping was all to evident. These torrents are extremely well seeded and should max out a connection. Same to a lesser extent with usenet. I have to open up 8 connections at peak time to get 115 KB\s(1 meg line), but can do this with just 1 thread open at 6:30 am. There is clearly not enough capacity to cope with peak time demand and the 'clean' traffic is not clean at all, its just that it is shaped rather than shaped and rate limited. It isn't fair to lie to your paying customers in this way. I will wait and see what happens with the automation due to take place next month, but I am not optimistic. Lets have some clarity and honesty about the actual situation. If you cannot provide unshaped connections, dont call it clean, because that is patently misleading. I have used about 5gb in the 8am-midnight time slot this month (about 2 weeks in) and I am pretty sure it isn't anything like clean. I am seriously considering moving to Be - only £2 a month more.
N/A

On a side note, are Plusnet due to bring on line two more 155 segments this month, being still unlit from the 622 purchased last February?
LiamM
Grafter

I think they're all on.

My understanding is that Metronet aren't yet on our platform. We have the extra 155 they brought online last month and the metronet customers will be migrated across in the next couple of months.

Whether they'll add more capacity for that I don't know.

This is my understanding of whats going on.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

I thought only one of the segments had been lit, and there was still either 1 or 2 to go.

Phil
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

Yep. As I thought. According to Kitz there are 2 more segments to be lit.

Phil