cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Everything timing out except portal.

Alecto
Grafter

I assume it's not just me, but as of now, ten past three pm., , every web page I go for except the Plusnet portal is coming up with the message "Could not be found Please check the name and try again."
7 REPLIES
N/A

Everything loads ok here Geoff...
N/A

weird. 30 minutes ago I ahd the opposite problem, and the only site that was timing out was the PlusNet portal.
ceridwen
Grafter

I'm getting the odd timeout too.

I suspect it is the PN DNS servers playing up yet again...

Matthew
Alecto
Grafter

Thanks lads.
In view of the comments, I restarted the machine and it all looks OK now.
So either it WAS just me, or the restart coincided with Pn putting it right. :lol:
N/A

Pages timing out have been, off and on, a significant attribute of my service for a long time now. It generally sorts it out if I resynch the router. I asked plusnet about it but they werent very helpful.
Community Veteran

It sounds more like a local PC/router issue to me. Some routers do have unreliable DNS forarding if you set their IP address as your DNS server. Specifying PNs DNS servers directly in windows often gets around the problem.

Also some software firewalls can block connections for no apparent reason and only a restart will fix it.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Some routers do have unreliable DNS forarding if you set their IP address as your DNS server.

Would specifying the router as the first DNS server and then the PN servers as second and third get round this problem or would you forget the router DNS entirely?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)