cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Everything fluctuates on ADSL Max

lenseman
Grafter

The problems with my connection continue.
My attenuation varies between 41,2 > 43.9, the SNR roams between 8.2 > 15.1, download readings from my router are 2870 > 5184, and my unstable MSR is hovering at 2000 > 5000, I only get one loss of signal per night.

These readings seem to vary depending on which gateway I terminate on, despite Plusnet saying it cant!

Contention at my local exchange never appears to be the cause because we don't get any. The reason I know this is that a member of the family works for BT and he told me that the chances of contention on my exchange are totally remote.

Can somebody cast any light on on possible causes, local interference can also be ruled out.

It was mentioned on this forum that ADSL Max is not a perfect product and is basically a compromise.

With that in mind would moving to a provider using LLU be any advantage or is cable the only true way out? Before anyone mentions it, I don't want my LLU supplied by Plusnet via Tiscali.

John B.
2 REPLIES
shellsong
Grafter

Re: Everything fluctuates on ADSL Max

Contention at my local exchange never appears to be the cause because we don't get any. The reason I know this is that a member of the family works for BT and he told me that the chances of contention on my exchange are totally remote.

Can somebody cast any light on on possible causes, local interference can also be ruled out.

Sounds like codswallop to me-- it's highly unlikely that any exchange is free of contention! SNR variations will be local and local interference can not be ruled out unless you live in the exchange and there is no electrical equipment or street lighting in your area! I assume everything you have is steam or gas powered apart from your phone, which is the only one in the village (hence no contention!)
James
Grafter

There will always be exchange contention. I would strongly suggest that the comment from your family member may not necessarily be correct.

If you are seeing fluctuating sync and noise margin, I would suggest trying a different filter and connecting into the test socket behind the master faceplate, to ensure that it isn't a wiring issue.