cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Everything but HTTP is laggy

N/A

UDP is slow right now (online gaming) (at least 500ms lag on all servers). So is IRC (30–90 seconds lag). So is NNTP (even on third-party NNTP servers) (~10 seconds lag).

Basically, everything I've used today that isn't HTTP is incredibly slow. The UDP problem has been occuring for weeks for me, but the IRC and NNTP slowdown is new today.
22 REPLIES
N/A

Same here, http is flying along (whilst I stay connected Smiley ). Gaming is impossible due to the latency. Decided to go through the hassle of paying myself out of PN which is going to sting a bit (transfer back from LLU, deferred costs and remainder of contract). Quite gutted really, not so much about the cost but the fact that I have to go elsewhere. I know the issues will be sorted out over time and wish I could stick around to see it happen.
suec45
Grafter

Yep pings of 500 now, up from 400 yesterday.

This is terrible.
canford
Grafter

N/A

Yup, it seems that Plusnet simply can't cope with 100,000 people online and downloading.
N/A

According to that graph gaming is in the titanium bracket of which no packets are being dropped.
N/A

I think I have enough of this!
I am paying a lot of money every month for what has become a very poor service.
In the last year I have had to suffer the introduction of bandwidth throttling, the loss of newsgroup binaries, unexplained network slowdowns, unexplained dropouts.
I can get all this elsewhere for a lot less money!!!
suec45
Grafter

According to that graph gaming is in the titanium bracket of which no packets are being dropped.

I am afraid that graph is rubbish then, my pings to UK servers are currently 500ms. Usually 25.
N/A

It does seem that PN are trying to save a lot of money for some reason. Maybe the reason the support is so slow and poor is because they have also fired some of the staff there and replaced them with untrained monkeys?

Lets think about it: Bandwidth throttling introduced because they don't want to spend any more money on buying bandwidth. Newsgroup binaries dropped because they don't want to buy new hardware. Forced transfers to LLU, again probably because it's cheaper.

What next? Forcing a maximum amount of online users during peak hours to reduce the load on the BT pipes? Scrapping users webpages/cgi? Scrapping these forums due to them using up too much bandwidth?
N/A

I am afraid that graph is rubbish then, my pings to UK servers are currently 500ms. Usually 25.

as are mine Smiley
N/A

It does seem that PN are trying to save a lot of money for some reason. Maybe the reason the support is so slow and poor is because they have also fired some of the staff there and replaced them with untrained monkeys?

Lets think about it: Bandwidth throttling introduced because they don't want to spend any more money on buying bandwidth. Newsgroup binaries dropped because they don't want to buy new hardware. Forced transfers to LLU, again probably because it's cheaper.

What next? Forcing a maximum amount of online users during peak hours to reduce the load on the BT pipes? Scrapping users webpages/cgi? Scrapping these forums due to them using up too much bandwidth?

Putting ppl on LLU then charging them to come off it should they want to leave? Or is that just me being cynical :?:
N/A

I just checked my latency stats on l8nc.com, and its off the scale > 500 ms
suec45
Grafter

You think THIS could be anything to do with it?

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/0,39020330,39282114,00.htm

The lag seems to happen when you reach Tiscali servers

Try a tracert yourself.
N/A

Probably a LLU problem them.

Lag to my clans halo servers are currently approx 19ms for me.

(Not on LLU)
suec45
Grafter

Im not on LLU but my pings are 500ms

It cant be just LLU